Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have a Full B license, want BE (trailer) - Test, L plates?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have my full B license, and I'm buying a small trailer this weekend, which will still be under the 750Kg limit for B licenses, but I think it'd be useful to get a full BE license anyway.
    Despite reading a fair bit on the new NDLS website, it's about as clear as the old one.

Do I need to display L plates? What about when not towing (99% of my driving will be in my towbar-less car).
    Will my current license by visibly endorsed? Do I become, in essence, a Learner again?
    I didn't see anything about mandatory lessons in BE category, and while I plan on taking a few once I've got my bearings, I'm f$%^ed if I'm taking 12 hours of them.
    A work colleague who has a box trailer told me that the test must be taken with a full-size trailer with sides (mine will be a flat car transporter). It would make sense if it's true, but again, I can't see anything about the test that would indicate that being the case. Anyone done a BE or CE test recently?

Also, do I need to do a Theory Test? I didn't have to for my full, as I had my first learner permit before 2001.
    http://www.ndls.ie/learner-permit/how-to-apply.html

"if needed"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'm also thinking of going for category B+E.

I recently took some Artic lessons (which I was doing in order to get the B+E category) and am now thinking of just doing the B+E instead.

What I have learned so far -

- I will need to do a 'B' Theory Test (didnt do one before - passed B test in 1992. Have since done 'C' Theory Test..twice..long story!).
    - No EDT required for B+E Test (EDT only applies to first time B Learner Permits)
    Scroll down this RSA page for answer - http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Car-Training-EDT/Commonly-asked-questions-about-EDT/
    - (This needs to be double-checked) Afaik, if you use a pre-2002 jeep for the test then you can use a flat-bed trailer for the test. Any jeep after 2002 must use a box-type trailer for the test (with the appropriate weight on-board).
    - You need L-Plates (and be accompanied by a Full B+E Licence holder) when towing a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Silvera wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of going for category B+E.

I recently took some Artic lessons (which I was doing in order to get the B+E category) and am now thinking of just doing the B+E instead.

What I have learned so far -

- I will need to do a 'B' Theory Test (didnt do one before - passed B test in 1992. Have since done 'C' Theory Test..twice..long story!).
    - No EDT required for B+E Test (EDT only applies to first time B Learner Permits)
    Scroll down this RSA page for answer - http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Car-Training-EDT/Commonly-asked-questions-about-EDT/
    - (This needs to be double-checked) Afaik, if you use a pre-2002 jeep for the test then you can use a flat-bed trailer for the test. Any jeep after 2002 must use a box-type trailer for the test (with the appropriate weight on-board).
    - You need L-Plates (and be accompanied by a Full B+E Licence holder) when towing a trailer.

Ok first of all "don't shoot the messenger"
    The above information is outdated since Jan 2013
    For test you need a box trailer as high and wide as towing vehicle, eg horse box.
    It must have brakes fitted lights, no: plates etc.
    The trailer must be loaded "30 x 4 inch cement blocks"
    Due to this total weight the towing vehicle must be plated to tow minimum of approx 1.9 ton therefore Vw Passat or larger, usually Jeep but big vans eg Transit would suffice.
    Accompaniment and plates as listed above and restricted to 80 km max even on Motorways. Depending of intended use you may need Tachograph.
    That's the basics but not complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Most of what has been said so far is correct. But to add to it...
    You would only need the L plates and licenced driver when you are using the bigger trailer. If you are just using the smaller one you mentioned then your licence covers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Ok first of all "don't shoot the messenger"
    The above information is outdated since Jan 2013
    For test you need a box trailer as high and wide as towing vehicle, eg horse box.
    It must have brakes fitted lights, no: plates etc.
    The trailer must be loaded "30 x 4 inch cement blocks"
    Due to this total weight the towing vehicle must be plated to tow minimum of approx 1.9 ton therefore Vw Passat or larger, usually Jeep but big vans eg Transit would suffice.
    Accompaniment and plates as listed above and restricted to 80 km max even on Motorways. Depending of intended use you may need Tachograph.
    That's the basics but not complete.

Feck, that's what I'd heard alright. Any references for that?
    Got my trailer, it's about 10" off the ground, so reckon I'll just have to watch the weight on it.

Feck, that's what I'd heard alright. Any references for that?
    Got my trailer, it's about 10" off the ground, so reckon I'll just have to watch the weight on it.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%206%20Representative%20vehicles%20for%20the%20driving%20test%20@%2018th%20July%202012.pdf

This covers it.

Just a little ps

If the towing vehicle and trailer combined do not exceed 3500 kg you can drive it on a B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Copied from the link above;
    A combination, made up of a Category B test vehicle which should be either (a) a length of at least 4.25 metres, or (b) a 4 wheel drive vehicle, and a trailer with a design gross vehicle weight of at least 1,400kg. but not exceeding 3,500 kg., capable of a speed of at least 100km/h, which does not fall within Category B. The cargo compartment of the trailer must consist of a permanent, closed box body which is at least as wide and as high as the motor vehicle, and have a length of at least 2.4 metres. The closed box body may also be slightly less wide than the motor vehicle, provided that the view to the rear is only possible by use of the external rear-view mirrors of the motor vehicle. The trailer must be presented with a real total mass (the actual weight of the trailer including the necessary load) of at least 800 kg., having due regard for safety, stability, manufacturer’s guidelines and legal limits of the combination.

I remember reading something about taking the test with a car registered before a certain year and the trailer did not need to be a closed box body, I can't find the link now though - has anyone else on here seen it?

OP here's a few more links I found when I researched this myself (the one above gives very easy to read info)
    Changes to driving licence rules from Jan 2013
    Minimum weight required for the test
    General info from RSA about towing on a car licence
    Good previous boards thread
    Changes to trailer manufacturing after Oct 29th 2012

BLOOD ALCOHOL LIMITS CHANGE IF YOU PULL A TRAILER Specifically read the notes at the very bottom where it says "Learner and Professional drivers - someone who holds ..............EB......... licence"

Copied from the link above;
    A combination, made up of a Category B test vehicle which should be either (a) a length of at least 4.25 metres, or (b) a 4 wheel drive vehicle, and a trailer with a design gross vehicle weight of at least 1,400kg. but not exceeding 3,500 kg., capable of a speed of at least 100km/h, which does not fall within Category B. The cargo compartment of the trailer must consist of a permanent, closed box body which is at least as wide and as high as the motor vehicle, and have a length of at least 2.4 metres. The closed box body may also be slightly less wide than the motor vehicle, provided that the view to the rear is only possible by use of the external rear-view mirrors of the motor vehicle. The trailer must be presented with a real total mass (the actual weight of the trailer including the necessary load) of at least 800 kg., having due regard for safety, stability, manufacturer’s guidelines and legal limits of the combination.

I remember reading something about taking the test with a car registered before a certain year and the trailer did not need to be a closed box body, I can't find the link now though - has anyone else on here seen it?

"[/I]

That was changed in Jan 2013 to the above. Plus not included above is that the trailer must have brakes

That was changed in Jan 2013 to the above. Plus not included above is that the trailer must have brakes

Bugger :mad: I had planned to buy back an older merc estate ('86 250D estate) my Dad owned before he passed away for sentimental reasons and that combined with a friends 3 axle beavertail would have been some sight to see at a test centre. I used that car for my car test and the tester actually looked worried when we climbed into it first :eek:

I don't need the trailer licence for work so I could have handled failing if it didn't work out.

Bugger :mad: I had planned to buy back an older merc estate ('86 250D estate) my Dad owned before he passed away for sentimental reasons and that combined with a friends 3 axle beavertail would have been some sight to see at a test centre. I used that car for my car test and the tester actually looked worried when we climbed into it first :eek:

I don't need the trailer licence for work so I could have handled failing if it didn't work out.

You can use the car, maybe just hire appropriate trailer, horse box etc etc

Thanks for the info Motor-Ed, ah well it looks like I'll have to borrow a box body then :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement