Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How/Why did you pick your derby name?

• 21-11-2013 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

I obviously don't have one, but I love looking at the league pages and seeing all the derby names and wondering how you picked them!
    Would anyone like to tell? Or even a story behind a derby player you know or know of?

:D
    Mylina.

Edit: there's a roller derby name generator here, which is a bit of fun :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Tails!

It was a drunken night and everyone on my team already had one so we decided I couldn't leave the pub without one when someone suddenly just shouted my name and I was christened. Hated it at first! But it was funny so the team decided it was my name and I didn't really have a choice :-) love it now tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Tails! wrote: »
    It was a drunken night and everyone on my team already had one so we decided I couldn't leave the pub without one when someone suddenly just shouted my name and I was christened. Hated it at first! But it was funny so the team decided it was my name and I didn't really have a choice :-) love it now tho

If you are, who I think you are, then yes, it's priceless! x

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

Some league-mates were trying to come up with a Barbie reference pun, due to my blonde hair, etc. Ended up with a reference to Malibu Stacy from The Simpsons. (Doesn't hurt that I love Malibu either)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 violentbob

well, originally i was actually "Puppetmaster", but then it turned out someone registered that about 4 days before me on the twoevils site, so i had to change it.

decided to go with Violent Bob, I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan, so i figured Silent Bob, but with added violence. It still amazes me how many of my close friends need me to explain it!

violentbob wrote: »
    well, originally i was actually "Puppetmaster", but then it turned out someone registered that about 4 days before me on the twoevils site, so i had to change it.

decided to go with Violent Bob, I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan, so i figured Silent Bob, but with added violence. It still amazes me how many of my close friends need me to explain it!

Aw, I didn't know about the twoevils site, I had been playing about with a variation of my first name for a derby name, but it's already taken! Gutted now :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

Mylina wrote: »
    Aw, I didn't know about the twoevils site, I had been playing about with a variation of my first name for a derby name, but it's already taken! Gutted now :D:D:D

You'll find a lot of skaters now don't pay much attention to twoevils any more due to the fact that it's not maintainable. It's becoming obsolete. They're nearly a year behind on registrations and with so many skaters now across the world, it's too difficult to find something that's not taken.
    Sometimes skaters who are going to use a name that's already taken will get in touch with the original skater to let them know. But really, the name regisgtry is unofficial so it's not necessary. (:
    (However it is lovely having your name registered)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I haven't passed mins yet so I'm not officially "christened" but I'm gonna go with 'Yaymy'. My name is Amy and one of the girls in the team made a pun on my name and I love it. I think it suits my exuberance, not the scariest derby name in the world though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annabomination

Many, many hours with a thesaurus is how I picked my name! Had lots of ideas but they were all taken, Anna Bomination was not so I went with it :-) However, like others said, that register is WAY out of date - my name was registered well over a year ago and still isn't there! I've found out since that there's a junior derby player in the US with the same name, and a drag queen also :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

A play on my name too .. I was originally going for Crystal Beth, but it was taken, loooove Smack Beth now tho.
    Mind you there is a few Smacks in Ireland :)

Before I went on maternity leave we were bandying about an idea of an Irish roster / name table.
    Could be a good idea

Merrilady wrote: »
    A play on my name too .. I was originally going for Crystal Beth, but it was taken, loooove Smack Beth now tho.
    Mind you there is a few Smacks in Ireland :)

Before I went on maternity leave we were bandying about an idea of an Irish roster / name table.
    Could be a good idea

That would be deadly! How would you even go about setting that up though? You'd need the co-operation of all of the Irish leagues I suppose... It would be lovely though :)

• Advertisement

That would be a great idea but I would have no idea how to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Well first off we could have an unofficial Boards.ie Roller Derby Name Roster! BOO YAH! :cool:

As for official, contact the IRDA?

Mylina wrote: »
    That would be deadly! How would you even go about setting that up though? You'd need the co-operation of all of the Irish leagues I suppose... It would be lovely though :)

I couldnt see any league having a problem with it, plus it would only benefit Irish Derby. A lot of presuming here :) I guess it would have to be run/managed by IRDA really. Im presuming they are well busy with the World Cup tho.

Wonder Wonder

pervertedcoffee - you could be on to something tho

Merrilady wrote: »
    I couldnt see any league having a problem with it, plus it would only benefit Irish Derby. A lot of presuming here :) I guess it would have to be run/managed by IRDA really. Im presuming they are well busy with the World Cup tho.

Wonder Wonder

pervertedcoffee - you could be on to something tho

We could certainly start a thread here, have one post for each league, and record all players /NSO /ref names, and we could pass it along to IRDA after the world cup?

Yeah that sounds like a pretty cool idea and probably pretty easy to maintain if each team have their own post. Its just really somewhere people can check what names are being used really

+1 on the idea Mylina

Plus, it would bring more traffic to the board.

Would you set up a vote on here and maybe someone from each league could bring it back and let each league member then vote ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annabomination

I knew I'd seen this somewhere, took much searching to find it again! It's a European Derby roster, anyone can add their names to it... I think the idea is that people adding their names should have checked them against twoevils and submitted them, but they can add them to this list while they're waiting for them to appear on twoevils (which, let's face it, may be never!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhXShKFC5S3bdExUX1ZfZXdPSlkzcHoxY1FkWHg2bkE#gid=0

I think Column E is the date your name was added to twoevils and Column F is when it appeared there... seems like most don't bother with that though!

Saw this just now on Twitter... An automatically updated Derby roll call type register, from one of the Manchester Roller Derby girls

http://www.derbyrollcall.com/

She also has a Roller Derby Test O Matic site which looks like it might be helpful
    http://rollerderbytestomatic.com/

And a Min Skills app

http://rollerderbytestomatic.com/minimumskills

Interesting, and possibly useful stuff :)

Advertisement