Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find an old Social Security Number??

Options
  • 21-11-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

Right, so I am currently in the US on business. I am also in the process of getting a Visa to move over here full time. It's pretty much a done detal, but I have be doing the Interview at the embassy when I'm home at Christmas.

Now here's the thing. I would like to start getting myself organised for when I come back. e.g. renting a house, buying a car etc etc, but some of these things are reliant on a social security number.

I have spoken to a few colleagues and they've told me that I could use my old Social Security Number (from my J1 days), as it will end up being the same number. But my problem is I have no clue what that is.

So.... I'm wondering does anyone know of a way to find this information? Or get a replacement SSN card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Your local SSA office can find your old SSN and order you a replacement card.....it would also be on any tax documents you filed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> I have spoken to a few colleagues and they've told me that I could use my old Social Security Number.

You have no choice but to use the 'old' number.

It's pretty easy to get a replacement but I have no idea about how it works or how long it takes when you're not in the country. It appears that you just need to fill out this form and mail it to the closest office to where you're going to be living. I guess though that as you're also changing status from a J1 that this may complicate things. You may be able to get the replacement card with this form but when you arrive in the US go to the offices with your work papers to prove that you are eligible to work in the US.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You have to use the old number. Once you are given one, that is the number you use for the rest of your life. Contact the Dept of Social Security Administration. There have several offices in every city.You should be able to find your local one in the phone book under Government Services, or on Google. They are who issued you your SSN number when you were over there on your J1, and they will issue you your replacement card.

It is possible that they will not issue it to you until you can prove your identity. They take identity theft very, very seriously over there and, most identity theft is linked to peoples social security numbers. If you can bring in a couple of pieces of government issued photo ID, such as a passport and a drivers license, that should do the trick.

They'll tell you what the number is there and then and print you out a document stating what it is, if you asked them too. The official card itself, should get posted out to you in a couple of weeks. Don't lose it and don't keep it in your wallet in case you ever lose that, as they are fussy about people losing them too. Just memorize the number and keep it in your head, as you will rarely be asked to produce the card itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Ponster wrote: »
    > I have spoken to a few colleagues and they've told me that I could use my old Social Security Number.

You have no choice but to use the 'old' number.

It's pretty easy to get a replacement but I have no idea about how it works or how long it takes when you're not in the country. It appears that you just need to fill out this form and mail it to the closest office to where you're going to be living.

Well I am actually in the country.
    Ponster wrote: »
    >
    I guess though that as you're also changing status from a J1 that this may complicate things. You may be able to get the replacement card with this form but when you arrive in the US go to the offices with your work papers to prove that you are eligible to work in the US.

And herein lies my worry. I didnt think I could just walk in and get a replacement while I am here on business (i.e. on a consultancy basis). I wont technically be eligible to "work" in US until my E-2 visa goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You have to use the old number. Once you are given one, that is the number you use for the rest of your life. Contact the Dept of Social Security Administration. There have several offices in every city.You should be able to find your local one in the phone book under Government Services, or on Google. They are who issued you your SSN number when you were over there on your J1, and they will issue you your replacement card.

It is possible that they will not issue it to you until you can prove your identity. They take identity theft very, very seriously over there and, most identity theft is linked to peoples social security numbers. If you can bring in a couple of pieces of government issued photo ID, such as a passport and a drivers license, that should do the trick.

They'll tell you what the number is there and then and print you out a document stating what it is, if you asked them too. The official card itself, should get posted out to you in a couple of weeks. Don't lose it and don't keep it in your wallet in case you ever lose that, as they are fussy about people losing them too. Just memorize the number and keep it in your head, as you will rarely be asked to produce the card itself.

I have no problem proving my Identity, but will they give me a new card since that original J1 has expired and my new Visa application hasnt gone through yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

jimbling wrote: »
    I have no problem proving my Identity, but will they give me a new card since that original J1 has expired and my new Visa application hasnt gone through yet??

Probably not.......

From SSA website Re: ordering new or replacement card;

"To apply for a replacement card, you must provide one document to prove your identity. If you were born outside the U.S., you must also provide documents to prove your U.S. citizenship or current, lawful, work-authorized status. See page 2 for an explanation of acceptable documents."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well I am actually in the country.

And herein lies my worry. I didnt think I could just walk in and get a replacement while I am here on business (i.e. on a consultancy basis). I wont technically be eligible to "work" in US until my E-2 visa goes through.

I think that if you're already here they you'll no issues in getting a replacement card as long as you have the correct proof and don't get someone who is having a bad day.
    You'll just have to go back the day that you're officially here under your E-2 to have your status changed.

The SSN is linked to your visa status but is not dependent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They won't give you the card there and then, as they don't print them on site. It will be posted out to you. What they will tell you is what the number is & they will give you a letter verifying what it is. When you are living in the US, as long as you know what the number itself is, you are good to go. You'll rarely ever have to produce the actual card, just know what the number is.

Last year, I mistakenly thought I needed to have my SSN card on me, to renew my US drivers license. It was back here in Ireland. So the local SSA office printed me off a letter saying what it was, once I produced some photo ID. I doubt if they would refuse to do that for you, especially if you are in the process of getting a visa. Bring in your paperwork from that if you can, just to back up your case if need be.

Advertisement