Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with backup/streaming

• 21-11-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

I'm about to buy my first iMac and have been looking at the time capsule for backup and to stream to a sonos setup and to my tv.
    My head is melting with varying opinions on time capsule v wd home cloud v wd tv live . Can someone advise as to what would be the best suited product to
    1) back up my music movies and files from iMac
    2) stream music to sonos
    3 ) stream movies to new panasonic tx 46et60b tv

A million thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

brown bear wrote: »
    Hi

I'm about to buy my first iMac and have been looking at the time capsule for backup and to stream to a sonos setup and to my tv.
    My head is melting with varying opinions on time capsule v wd home cloud v wd tv live . Can someone advise as to what would be the best suited product to
    1) back up my music movies and files from iMac
    2) stream music to sonos
    3 ) stream movies to new panasonic tx 46et60b tv

A million thanks in advance

I recently went for the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TOXMAW/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with two...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008JJLZ7G/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

setup as RAID, so I have a backup of my backup.

I have time machine syncing an image daily that excludes music and photos. I then use rsync to backup my music and photos instead of time machine as time machine groups everything into one image. By using rsync you can access individual files held in storage.

I stream music to my receiver via Airplay...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00844589M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this isn't a spanner in the works!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭brown bear

Thanks , only a little spanner!

How exactly does the receiver work , does it get the music streamed from the hd?? Is there a app to choose the music??

A little off my own topic I know !

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

Thanks , only a little spanner!

How exactly does the receiver work , does it get the music streamed from the hd?? Is there a app to choose the music??

A little off my own topic I know !

No probs, there are three ways you can stream your music to the receiver:

1 - with itunes on the iMac (via Airplay) that is synced with the music files on the hard drive
    2 - with Music app on your iPhone (via Airplay). Note, this will only be the music files on your phone
    2 - directly from the hard drive to the receiver with the Yamaha app on iPhone (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/av-controller-us/id467496375)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭brown bear

Thanks I was going to go with the sonos connect my old amp and keep all my wired speakers but that reciever has made me think a bit !!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks I was going to go with the sonos connect my old amp and keep all my wired speakers but that reciever has made me think a bit !!

Thanks

You could always keep your old amp and use the audio output from a Apple TV/Airport as input to your amp? (much cheaper if your amp is still good).
    I have a 12 year old NAD amp that still does the business for me!

You could also stream movies from your mac to Apple TV (and use Netflix app on Apple TV)

You can always replace your music with a Spotify sub (supports Airplay) :) ... just sayin

Airplay, for me, is the best thing Apple ever did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just to add to this, I've also just recently bought a Synology Diskstation (DS214).

It seamlessly backs up with time machine on my Mac to the NAS. I'm also able to stream files from the NAS to my TV via DLNA. Movies, Pictures and Videos. My TV is an LG and isn't a smart tv. Although it has a tiny few smart features like a YouTube app and a few other social apps. All you really need is DLNA on your TV and most of the newer devices will stream to it.

There's a small learning curve to setting it all up but a combination of a great OS from Synology and a great online setup/help guide made the whole thing easier.

I went for the NAS instead of the Time Capsule due to the fact it can do so much more than just backups and Airplay tasks. Hope this helps.

Advertisement