Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Item returned for repair - now apparently damaged

• 21-11-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

This is both a warning to others returning items for repair and looking for advice.

I returned an item for repair recently and I have received a call from the retailer agreeing with my diagnosis. However they went on to say that there is damage on the item that indicates that it was dropped which may have caused the fault. They also say that the damage is quite obvious.

When I was packing the item for return, I did not notice any obvious damage. It was packed securely with no room for movement within the packaging and the retailer says there was no sign of damage to the packaging. It was returned via courier and delivered on the same day.

I am concerned that the retailer will try to use this as a reason to refuse to repair or replace the item. If you are sending any item back for repair, take photographs so you can prove the condition before it was returned. I did not do this and I am worried that I will now be refused my right to a repair or replacement.

Any advice on how to deal with the retailer here? I have asked for photographs of the damage and the packaging. The retailer has not refused the return and will be sending the item to the manufacturer for assessment. The retailer called me when they unpacked the item and there was no mention of damage at that time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Small claims court dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

db wrote: »
    This is both a warning to others returning items for repair and looking for advice.

I returned an item for repair recently and I have received a call from the retailer agreeing with my diagnosis. However they went on to say that there is damage on the item that indicates that it was dropped which may have caused the fault. They also say that the damage is quite obvious.

When I was packing the item for return, I did not notice any obvious damage. It was packed securely with no room for movement within the packaging and the retailer says there was no sign of damage to the packaging. It was returned via courier and delivered on the same day.

I am concerned that the retailer will try to use this as a reason to refuse to repair or replace the item. If you are sending any item back for repair, take photographs so you can prove the condition before it was returned. I did not do this and I am worried that I will now be refused my right to a repair or replacement.

Any advice on how to deal with the retailer here? I have asked for photographs of the damage and the packaging. The retailer has not refused the return and will be sending the item to the manufacturer for assessment. The retailer called me when they unpacked the item and there was no mention of damage at that time.

This - some dozy eejit obviously dropped it and never owned up. I'd not let them get away without a brand new replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Just got the photographs and it looks like a completely different item to the one I returned so I might be OK. I will certainly learn from it though and keep photographs of every angle before I return something in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

my fault though, giving in to these people.
    Originally, the SONY Xperia L was handed into them with a faulty ear jack (all headphones plugged in only worked in left ear).
    Warning lights went on in my head when they said that this was a type of phone they had never dealt with before (? - an Xperia L which is middle of the road between Xperia E and Xperia Z1) . Foolishly, I said 'fair enough'.
    I was told to come back in a few days.
    Did this.
    Now, they tell me the touchscreen is broken.
    mmm. Can I leave it with them for another day or two, but they now to see the RECEIPT of the phone - they did'nt ask this before.
    I can't find the receipt. Oh well, harsh lesson learnt on my part.
    The phone service provider are aware of my story already on boards - I PM'd them. Just wanted to confirm that OP's experience is by no means a solitary affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

So it turns out now that the damaged item isn't mine, there was a mixup in RMA numbers. My tablet hasn't been delivered yet which is another issue for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

That's something at least. There is hope yet!

Advertisement