Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dog with kidney problem

• 21-11-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

My dog has seemed quite down the last few days so I brought her to the vet last night and he took a blood test as she had lost 4 kgs since March and he'd no idea what was wrong. So he rang me this morning and told me that her kidney isn't great and I should bring her in and they are going to put her on a drip for the next few days but I can bring her home each evening (she hates the vets with a passion).

I'm devastated. I pray to God that she'll be ok. Has anyone ever had this before with their own dog and can tell me anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your dog! :(

How old is he? Did the vet say anything else about his liver or just that is wasn't good?

Is he still eating but losing weight anyways? Is he drinking and going to the toilet normally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

No advice for you on the kidney problem, but very sorry to hear about your dog. I hope its something that can be managed with meds or sorted. Great that you can bring her home at night, when she hates the vet. I have a dog that like yours hates the vet, he had to stay in for 3 days to have a drip too, he was so happy to come home, your girl is lucky she can come home for TLC and cuddles in the evenings. Let us know how she goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

picked up my little girl this evening and she was so much better. i couldn't believe my eyes. She was quite feable when i brought her in this morning and she was actually spritely when i picked her up. an improvement overall so i'm delighted and very hopeful.

she is 11 years old but very fit and healthy in general.
    She is drinking fine and was only eating poorly for about 24 hours but got her some lovely chicken today and she ate it all up about an hour ago :D good flippin news there!!!

It is just her kidney that needs to be flushed of all the toxins (i think thats what happens). Her weight loss has been very gradual which is why i didn't notice it

shes very tired tonight so hopefully we'll both sleep better this evening :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Lucyx wrote: »
    picked up my little girl this evening and she was so much better. i couldn't believe my eyes. She was quite feable when i brought her in this morning and she was actually spritely when i picked her up. an improvement overall so i'm delighted and very hopeful.

she is 11 years old but very fit and healthy in general.
    She is drinking fine and was only eating poorly for about 24 hours but got her some lovely chicken today and she ate it all up about an hour ago :D good flippin news there!!!

It is just her kidney that needs to be flushed of all the toxins (i think thats what happens). Her weight loss has been very gradual which is why i didn't notice it

shes very tired tonight so hopefully we'll both sleep better this evening :)

ah that's great news you just feel awful yourself when there off form

fingers crossed all goes to plan

Guys I'm so worried now.

I brought my girl into the vets yesterday for her second day on the drip and the vet said it did go well but last night her whole body went into the most horrible spasm and her heart was pounding. I rang the vet and he told me to bring her in straight away. He examined her and said that she had a heart attack. He gave her an injection and told me to not bring her in today for her drip treatment and come back on Sunday. He thinks its the stress of having been in there for hours two days in a row. Its very stressful for her.

I was feeling a bit more positive yesterday and she even ate last night and kept it down but now I'm thinking her whole body is falling apart. We both slept on and off last night but I was terrified that the same thing would happen again and she wouldn't make it through the night.

I gave her food this morning and she ate it all up really quickly so I'm praying that stays down. She is drinking too so I'm grateful for any positive signs at all. I'm so worried now. Shes only 11 and I've looked after her so well that I thought she'd still be going strong well into her teens. Shes a collie x and they usually have long lives.

I don't think the vet is very positive but I have to be. I can't cope at all otherwise.

Do you guys think he should have kept in her last night? I'm just wondering now if hes thinking all of her organs are failing. Its my worst nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Having a sick dog is so upsetting/stressful, I really feel for you.
    My elderly dog gets so stressed going to the vets (hes had some bad experiences at vets - NOT the vets fault, hes just been in having nasty procedures done with his gastric problems and infections over the years - I avoid going to the vet with him unless its necessary. Your vet knew what he was at telling you not to bring your dog in for the treatment, if she was that stressed.
    Do you have a clear idea/picture of the treatment and prognosis? How many times does your vet want her in for the drip? Could you be in the surgery with her while on the drip on sunday? Last time our boy was in, we stayed with the vet doing the various tests/procedures, which helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

Hi,

Sorry to hear she went backwards. Often a drip perks them up a bit but doesnt normally get to the root of the problem.

It sound to me like there is somethin else goin on and I'm surprised the vet hasn't recommended more tests.

Has the vet said she's in kidney failure or just that the kidneys were not good Because the kidneys sound like a secondary problem to a possibly different issue.

Has he given any indication of what he thinks is wrong?

I know its very stressful for her and she should rest now after a heart attack but I would definitely think the vet should perform some more tests to get a better idea of what's happening.

has your vet done any blood tests when 1 of my springers had suspected kidney problems my vet told me the most reliable test to check kidney function was a blood test to check the creatinine levels

there were other things as well but I cant remember now I think another was a bun test

others on here will be better able to explain these tests

hopefully all is better soon

my girl passed away.

She had kidney failure and her heart was completely giving up too.
    She had a massive heart attack this afternoon so I had to make the decision to bring her to the vet and say goodbye. it was the single most horrendous thing i've ever had to do.

i held her in my arms while he did it and felt her little body go limp. At least shes out of pain now and it was so nice to see her at peace cos shes had the most awful few days. i'm devastated and i'm gonna miss her so much.
    i stayed with her for 2 hours afterwards just holding her and petting her. it was comforting. i hope she felt all my love for her.

i just dread the next few weeks and months as it hasn't really hit me yet. i can't eat or sleep. i'm so heartbroken.

this is so sad I was hoping like all the rest for a positive post this morning

you did all you could for her try and take solace from that its obvious you loved her dearly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Lucyx wrote: »
    my girl passed away.

She had kidney failure and her heart was completely giving up too.
    She had a massive heart attack this afternoon so I had to make the decision to bring her to the vet and say goodbye. it was the single most horrendous thing i've ever had to do.

i held her in my arms while he did it and felt her little body go limp. At least shes out of pain now and it was so nice to see her at peace cos shes had the most awful few days. i'm devastated and i'm gonna miss her so much.
    i stayed with her for 2 hours afterwards just holding her and petting her. it was comforting. i hope she felt all my love for her.

i just dread the next few weeks and months as it hasn't really hit me yet. i can't eat or sleep. i'm so heartbroken.

Aw I'm so sorry when I read this it brought a tear to my eye. My dog Bambi died of kidney problems last year. It came on very quickly and as she was 14 there was little chance of her surviving it so we had to put her to sleep.

At least she had a lovely life with you, you clearly gave her the best of everything and a lot of love. RIP <3

Advertisement