Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming while feeding?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I am posting on behalf of my sister. Her LO is 7weeks old, has always been a bit fussy with feeding etc, docs said reflux, then colic, now both...
    She screams when she is feeding, is hungry, will suck a soother, or bottle but as soon as she swallows the milk she starts to scream and refuses the bottle.

She is on Losec for the last 2 weeks I think, and yesterday doc prescribed gaviscon along with Losec. She was on SMA gold just after birth, but on doc advice, my sister has tried the comfort food (which made her uncomfortable with painful, runny and violently smelly bowel movements), Enfamil AR and now SMA Lactose-Free.

She is took 5ozs at 2am, and only 2ozs since. My sister is haggard looking, she also has an 18month old, who also had reflux, but not as bad as this.

She doesn't seem to be dehydrated, soft spot not sunken, and when she is awake and not crying, she is alert.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Is there anything that helped you and your baby?
    I think my sister is debating going to Crumlin with her later, but GP seems fairly unconcerned and is putting it down to 'reflux'.... It's awful though to see her in such pain and hungry but can't eat.. :(

Many Thanks
    Mylina

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My advice, if the baby is crying that much, would be to take them to Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mylina wrote: »
    I think my sister is debating going to Crumlin with her later, but GP seems fairly unconcerned and is putting it down to 'reflux'.... It's awful though to see her in such pain and hungry but can't eat.. :(
    Get a 2nd opinion, or bring the kid to Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Crumlin will do nothing about the ongoing "colic" issues unless there is clear demonstration of growth faltering (the new PC term for "failure to thrive"). You're talking about attending an already overburdened Emergency Department because Mum can't get enough sleep.

Its a nasty situation to get into, but I'm providing my opinion based on my professional experience. If the problem is going on for some time, try to get an idea of where the baby's weight is going. Support groups may well be the way forward - as might changing your GP.

However, if the child is failing to get enough fluid on board over hours to 1-2 days then you need to outrule an illness. Your GP would be the first port of call unless it's the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My baby used to scream when feeding because the milk wouldn't come out quick enough. She was on comfort milk which is a lot thicker. Sometimes we had to use a 3 teat just so she could get the milk out, even though half of it spilt all over her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

She's been in contact with Crumlin, who have advised a different feeding schedule, she's drinking about 2ozs every 4 hours, having wet and dirty nappies, alert and content when she is not feeding and not losing weight, so they seem happy enough with her.
    They are unconcerned about the screaming, painful feeding, and the colic type episodes which is awful to watch, but hopefully she will settle soon.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

My first baby started on SMA and he was constantly buckled with wind. Never burped at all and struggled with constipation.I then switched him to aptimil and he handled it like a dream. So my new baby now started on aptimil and had no issues with wind at all and it was great. She did pull from the bottle through feeds though as she got older and didn't up her quantity. I knew straight away it was reflux. I put her on aptimil anti reflux and within two days she was taking her bottles without pulling away and went right up to 7oz bottles from 4oz. I think the aptimil is much easier to digest and seems to be better for wind aswell.

Advertisement