Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City 24.11.2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

I used to look forward to watching Spurs play when Harry was the manager. I can barely tolerate the crap AVB has us playing. What more evidence do people need? Losing three nil at home to West Ham? Getting beaten by Newcastle when they have a terrible record in London? Barely getting past Hull at home in the League Cup?

AVB OUT!!!

Careful. I don't think your allowed say that out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

I'm supporting Tottenham for over 30 years. So i guess thats a short time in terms of the history of the club. But i know we are going nowhere with AVB in charge and thats nowhere. If your happy with the football we're playing you should support Stoke city. The football is muck For the past year and a half. Bill Nichloson will be turning in his grave

I hardly claimed I was happy with the football and you can get off your high horse with your ignorant Stoke comment. Well done on your own 'support' but if you cant remember the days of ****e we had to watch us huff and puff to struggle to finish mid table then your memory is short. Bringing Bill Nicholson into the argument shows a lack of respect to the great man, as he was alive to watch the relegated side of the late 70's, the debacle of Burkinshaws departure, the garbage of Shreeves, Clemence, Francis et al... to even compare todays team to this is very short sighted on your behalf, never mind claim that Bill Nic is spinning in his grave. poor show imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Today was a bad day(stating the obvious) and some of our football was hard to watch this season. We'v scraped a few results with penaltys. Goals are scarcer than hens teeth. All is not well.

I hope we (the fans) are not going to go into meltdown like the gooners did after their first defeat of the season to Villa.

I think AVB does need to find a settled first eleven and let the rest play the europa and the cup games. I was suprised that AVB did not play Lemalla after good showing in europa against Newcastle at home instead of this much tougher assignment.

Hopefully this large kick up the arse will wake us up and be the start of much better performances.

Jesus I feel sick before I even say this but here goes. This team will get better and become more of a team with more time together.

Five more weeks to the January window and we have to buy another striker and a left back.

Still think it is unhelpful to be calling for Managers head this early in the season. Hope our confidence is not shattered by todays result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I think a lot of the fickle Spurs fans should take a deep breath before posting on here.

Look, we got beaten by a very very good City side in the Etihad. But United went and got FOUR knocked passed them, so did Newcastle. Everton went to the Etihad, played really well, and conceded THREE!

The only team to go there and win this season is Bayern Munich aka European Champions, arguably the best team in the world.

So, taking all in to consideration, if anyone on this forum thought we were going to go to the Etihad and win, you were basically saying "Spurs are actually up there with the best in the world" - but we're not. We all know that. That's not a defeatist attitude, it's reality.

People calling for AVB to be sacked and Harry to be re-hired are very silly. I'd say you're probably in the group who thought we'd go to the Etihad and win.

I am firmly in the pro-AVB camp, but I'll admit that my faith has been shaken in the last couple of weeks. We're 12 matches in to a 38 match season, we're four points off 2nd place, hardly too worrying.

I know the performances are the main issue. I think AVB has seen the challenges of implementing a continental style of play in the English Premier League and has reconsidered his options, hence is publicly talking about 4-4-2.

Give him time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I think a lot of the fickle Spurs fans should take a deep breath before posting on here.

Look, we got beaten by a very very good City side in the Etihad. But United went and got FOUR knocked passed them, so did Newcastle. Everton went to the Etihad, played really well, and conceded THREE!

The only team to go there and win this season is Bayern Munich aka European Champions, arguably the best team in the world.

So, taking all in to consideration, if anyone on this forum thought we were going to go to the Etihad and win, you were basically saying "Spurs are actually up there with the best in the world" - but we're not. We all know that. That's not a defeatist attitude, it's reality.

People calling for AVB to be sacked and Harry to be re-hired are very silly. I'd say you're probably in the group who thought we'd go to the Etihad and win.

I am firmly in the pro-AVB camp, but I'll admit that my faith has been shaken in the last couple of weeks. We're 12 matches in to a 38 match season, we're four points off 2nd place, hardly too worrying.

I know the performances are the main issue. I think AVB has seen the challenges of implementing a continental style of play in the English Premier League and has reconsidered his options, hence is publicly talking about 4-4-2.

Give him time!

Couldn't agree more, but my biggest concern is the goals, goals win games, and we ain't scoring mate, and our main striker hasn't got a sniff all season. Let's hope that changes next Sunday lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

City got 6 goals from play yesterday, as many as we have all season.

I really don't understand why we can't expect to win at grounds like this btw? We spent 100m quid ffs. And all the negative talk about Arry- He nearly beat a superior City side [who won the league] from 2-0 down don't forget. Defoe just needed to be a foot taller.

The football is shocking, the signings have been poor for the money spent. It all points to the manager not having a clue. I knew after we conceded early it was game over as we can only play one way. What does AVB say post match? All the plans went out the window after the early goal... has anyone told hom early goals are possible in a Soccer match ffs? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I don't think anyone was expecting us to win realistically, but the nature of the performance was pathetic. City never left 1st gear. They barely broke a sweat, they won't play an easier game all season. Lucky to come away with a 6-0 hiding. The fact is we haven't played well all season bar little 20 minute periods. Laughing stock of the league at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Whetehr he can turn it around will depend on the players, do they still believe in him, I'm not sure he believes in himself at the moment, the worrying thing for me was seeing Ade coming on, he is now the solution to our probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

GS11 wrote: »
    Whetehr he can turn it around will depend on the players, do they still believe in him, I'm not sure he believes in himself at the moment, the worrying thing for me was seeing Ade coming on, he is now the solution to our probs.

some of the players clearly dont believe . Jan is unhappy, dembele is unhappy, Soldado and lamela are unhappy

Not sure if we will finish this season with AVB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

People calling for AVB to be sacked and Harry to be re-hired are very silly

Has anyone actually called for him to be sacked AND replaced by harry???

Give him time!

How much time will you give him?

• Advertisement

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Has anyone actually called for him to be sacked AND replaced by harry???

Yes, I saw somebody say "AVB out". Which would imply they want AVB sacked.

Also, other people spoke about how God-like Harry was, yet we all couldn't wait to see the back of him when he cost us an easy Champions League place.

How much time will you give him?

I've said it before, I will give him until the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

No way even a trigger happy Levy will ditch AVB anytime this season. He'll definetly start next season as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Is it safe, has the meltdown subsided?

A good performance and at least a draw against United next 'Sunday:mad:' and yesterday will be a distant memory.

God-like Harry was, yet we all couldn't wait to see the back of him when he cost us an easy Champions League place.
    I've said it before, I will give him until the end of the season.

God like? must have missed that, all I have read about Harry is how we finished 4th twice and played attractive football.

As for missing an easy champs league place, wasn't that last season as well, 7 points clear of arsenal and finishing behind them?

God like? must have missed that, all I have read about Harry is how we finished 4th twice and played attractive football.

As for missing an easy champs league place, wasn't that last season as well, 7 points clear of arsenal and finishing behind them?

Is this the same Redknapp that turned his nose up at the chance to sign Luiz Suarez? :o:o

Is this the same Redknapp that turned his nose up at the chance to sign Luiz Suarez? :o:o

Yes that's him! My point is when harry was sacked so many on here were delighted, harry was a clown etc etc, lots of people thinking AVB was a master stroke, seems to be a lot of denial that AVB actually hasn't done all that well and a season and a quarter into his reign we haven't progressed.

At this point in time AVB hasn't actually done any better than old red chops, yes record points, but in fifth place and hugely reliant on one player having a blinder. Best ever start in the premier league? hows that working out for us now? At best we have stagnated, reality is we have gone backwards. Leave the opinions of who was a good/bad manager out of it and base it purely on results, we have not improved and so far this season we have been awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Yes that's him! My point is when harry was sacked so many on here were delighted, harry was a clown etc etc, lots of people thinking AVB was a master stroke, seems to be a lot of denial that AVB actually hasn't done all that well and a season and a quarter into his reign we haven't progressed.

At this point in time AVB hasn't actually done any better than old red chops, yes record points, but in fifth place and hugely reliant on one player having a blinder. Best ever start in the premier league? hows that working out for us now? At best we have stagnated, reality is we have gone backwards. Leave the opinions of who was a good/bad manager out of it and base it purely on results, we have not improved and so far this season we have been awful.

Agree.

Disagree. AVB got us a record points haul having lost Modric & Vdv, arguably our two best players at the time.

Results? We practically over hauled our whole squad this season and people expect instant results. We're 4pts off second spot, qualified early for the next round of the EL and QF of the Carling Cup.

We beat United at Old Trafford last season, gone backwards, really? You'll be singing 'Oh when the Spurs' again in no time... :cool::cool:

Disagree. AVB got us a record points haul having lost Modric & Vdv, arguably our two best players at the time.

Results? We practically over hauled our whole squad this season and people expect instant results. We're 4pts off second spot, qualified early for the next round of the EL and QF of the Carling Cup.

We beat United at Old Trafford last season, gone backwards, really? You'll be singing 'Oh when the Spurs' again in no time... :cool::cool:

+1

Could not agree more.

Ah sure once we beat utd, that's the main thing! Being so many points of 1st 2nd or 4th is not success, quarter finals is not success, getting champions league and winning is success. The rest is just fluff that can be used to disguise the fact that we are not actually improving. Would love to be wrong, but I don't see it. AVB bought the players, you would at least expect he had a system that would see them flourish. If we had consistently seen improvements in our play since day 1 I would be a lot more optimistic, all I have seen is decline. Basing success on beating utd really shows a small club mentality. I would rather lose every season to utd home and away and get 4th or better than beat them and get fifth. Again, look at what determines success, trophies and league position.

• Advertisement

+1

Could not agree more.

Ah maybe yer right lads, that Redknap era was rubbish and we are witnessing football utopia under AVB.

Ah sure once we beat utd, that's the main thing!

I think you're missing the point. Beating United proved that AVB had given the team the confidence to go to Old Trafford without fear. Before that we snook in to the 'top four' with Harry, but we were never respected as a 'top 4' team because Arsenal, United and Chelsea considered us pushovers.... "three point lane" etc.

Going to Old Trafford and winning earned us a lot of respect throughout the league and that has carried on to this season. Before the City game our defensive record spoke for itself, we were a tough team to beat the antithesis of how we were viewed under Redknapp and every Premier League manager before him.

Yes, the football hasn't been pretty. Though a bright future is built on good foundations. If AVB can sort out the defence and our team mentality (as he has) the next step is to work on the attack. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

harry was a clown etc etc, QUOTE]

No No Harry is a clown.

Glad I don't see that laughing stock hanging out the range rover door at spurs lodge during transfer deadline day anymore.

In AVB we trust.

harry was a clown etc etc, QUOTE]

No No Harry is a clown.

Glad I don't see that laughing stock hanging out the range rover door at spurs lodge during transfer deadline day anymore.

In AVB we trust.

I'd rather a talking clown on transfer day to someone whose idea of a great signing is Paulinho or Nacer Chadli tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

golfball37 wrote: »

I'd rather a talking clown on transfer day to someone whose idea of a great signing is Paulinho or Nacer Chadli tbh.

Load of bollix. You were one of the many on here no doubt creaming in your panties when Paulinho signed on the dotted line. A couple of bad games and now lets hang AVB for signing him.

Remember no Modric & VDV last season and AVB got us a record points total as well as winning at Old Trafford.

New team this season, will take time to gel.

Load of bollix. You were one of the many on here no doubt creaming in your panties when Paulinho signed on the dotted line. A couple of bad games and now lets hang AVB for signing him.

Remember no Modric & VDV last season and AVB got us a record points total as well as winning at Old Trafford.

New team this season, will take time to gel.

I'm afraid you were looking at the wrong pants there lad. I've said for a long time Paulinho is useless. He failed in Poland ffs.

Record points haul means sh1t. We finished 5th, a place below the previous season. Gareth Bale finished 5th lets be honest.

As for Modric and VdV, I agree we haven't repleced them. But who's job was that? The same man who thinks Paulinho and the boys are of the same quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I'm afraid you were looking at the wrong pants there lad. I've said for a long time Paulinho is useless. He failed in Poland ffs.

The same man who thinks Paulinho and the boys are of the same quality?

If he's that sh1t why is he starting for Brazil? I'd generally give a player more than 11 games to prove he wasn't a waste of £20m. By your logic we should have ditched Modric after 11 games and sold Bale to Notts Forest for £3m the season before.

If he's that sh1t why is he starting for Brazil? I'd generally give a player more than 11 games to prove he wasn't a waste of £20m. By your logic we should have ditched Modric after 11 games and sold Bale to Notts Forest for £3m the season before.

No I had seen enough of Modric to know he was the real deal. The two games against England being a case in point. Natural ability never goes he just had to be taught how to utilise it in England. Paulinho doesn't have the same skillset at all, in fact he looks clumsy on the ball and keeps getting in the way.

I'll hold you to that so- Paulinho will turn out to be as good as either of them?:) He can't even control a ball from what I've seen of him.

• Advertisement

Paulinho doesn't have the same skillset at all, in fact he looks clumsy on the ball and keeps getting in the way.

I'll hold you to that so- Paulinho will turn out to be as good as either of them?:) He can't even control a ball from what I've seen of him.

I ain't saying he'll be as good as Bale or Modric but saying he is useless and failed in Europe is a bit of an exageration. He has had some good moments, he's just a little off the pace and made a few errors. Patience man.

Advertisement