Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to transfer from J1 Working visa to F1 Student visa?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am going doing a semester in the University of South Carolina (USC) in the Autumn semester of 2014. But first want to go on a J1 working visa in the States for the summer of 2014 and then continue on and start college in South Carolina in the Autumn. I was just enquiring about the visas, I will need to get a F1 study visa and a J1 working visa. Does there have to be a minimun time between visas? Will I have to leave the country and then return between visas? Or is it possible to get a visa that covers both? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Daniel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You can apply for the F visa while on the J visa in the US. If your J visa expires while your F visa is pending, you don't need to leave the country (and actually I believe you shouldn't). However, you won't be able to study or work until you have an active visa again. I would discuss it with the International students office at USC. They should be more knowledgeable.

Advertisement