Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Bruns 'Sale aggreed'

Options
  • 21-11-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

I was driving down Patrick St. today and I seen a sale agreed sign , anyone know who bought and what plans they have, Coppers maybe?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I know but can't say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

heard it was boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I know but can't say!!
    Ok fair enough but can you at least say is it still gonna be a pub

heard it was boots!
    That just makes no sense at all, not sure if your serious O.o

Weaterspoons ? hardly, would be great if it was

• Advertisement

Ok fair enough but can you at least say is it still gonna be a pub

Not sure yet but all the suggestions so far are wrong.

Your responses so far,

"I know but can't say!! "

"Not sure yet but all the suggestions so far are wrong."

So you know but your not sure, but sure enough to say all suggestions are wrong, ha you must be a politician :)

I would love to see a brew pub go in there but I can't see anyone taking that risk in a town the size of Tullamore, people in this town seem to be content with having 6 different lagers on tap ice cold and tasting the same.

haha, no - definitely not a politician.

It will be great to see it open again though. Like a lot more of the vacant commercial units in town, its great to see more sale / lease agreed signs pop up.

opticians?

sold for 350k including the license, what a bargain, really hope who bought will reopen it with refurbishments and selling craft beer which has been growing by 40% each year for the last 2 years
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/brewing-up-a-storm-crafty-new-irish-beers-going-down-nicely-1.1510880

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Your responses so far,

"I know but can't say!! "

"Not sure yet but all the suggestions so far are wrong."

So you know but your not sure, but sure enough to say all suggestions are wrong, ha you must be a politician :)

I would love to see a brew pub go in there but I can't see anyone taking that risk in a town the size of Tullamore, people in this town seem to be content with having 6 different lagers on tap ice cold and tasting the same.

Don't know about a brew pub, but a bar with two or three craft taps, plus maybe one monthly guest beer on rotation, as well as all the macros (Guinness, Heineken etc) would do great business. Even if only 2% of drinkers are into craft beer, that's a 2% market share that the pub will have cornered (as long as it's the only pub selling craft beer and the prices aren't crazy), on top of all the regular non-craft drinkers who'll go there anyway.

Craft beer can also get non craft drinkers in the door, for example a group of people with one or two craft drinkers will probably end up in the pub selling craft beer to keep everyone happy. So the publican maybe shouldn't just look at the number of pints of craft sold, but increase in sales in general.

Would love to see a brew pub in Tullamore though!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

theres a boots going in here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

theres a boots going in here

Boots? Aah balls!

thats what I said and was told it makes no sense!

Ok maybe there is a boots going there, but why would they spend a fortune fitting out that building for a chemist when there are any amount of vacant premises in the town where they could do it far cheaper, for my two cents worth I heard its a father/son team who bought it, the father is a very well local known publican who has been out of the pub/hotel game for a few years.
    Where did u hear about Boots openeing up on the DeBruns site, sorry but it still makes no sense to me

From someone in the area but like I said "I heard it" so cannot say either way if its true but they did say it was a retail outlet and not a pub. I guess it will only be confirmed when someone applies for planning permission to change the use of the premises to retail if it is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Ok maybe there is a boots going there, but why would they spend a fortune fitting out that building for a chemist when there are any amount of vacant premises in the town where they could do it far cheaper, for my two cents worth I heard its a father/son team who bought it, the father is a very well local known publican who has been out of the pub/hotel game for a few years.
    Where did u hear about Boots openeing up on the DeBruns site, sorry but it still makes no sense to me

I'v heard it from people working in the pharmacy next door !!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Lucena wrote: »
    Boots? Aah balls!

I heard they bought 3 buildings but only paid for 2

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

I heard it's a local buisness man. I know who but won't say just in case I'm wrong. But he is a succsessfull fella with a good few properties and buissness. He pumped near the million mark into a place only here in the last couple of months. Apparently he is after buying into the boots franchise and that's what's going into that premisies

There could have been more premises a retail out let could have went into but that place was <modsnip> So regardless who goes into it it is going to be totally gutted anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

It's such a massive premises for a Boots though, it would be far too big. Unless they section it off or something.

It is a big premises alright. There is flats upstairs in it not unless they refuburish them and rent them out. Then look at the size of the boots store on shop street in Galway. I would imagine that's bigger than the ground floor anyway in De Bruins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

Egan2012 wrote: »
    I heard it's a local buisness man. I know who but won't say just in case I'm wrong. But he is a succsessfull fella with a good few properties and buissness. He pumped near the million mark into a place only here in the last couple of months. Apparently he is after buying into the boots franchise and that's what's going into that premisies
    Boots is not a franchise operation.

to be honest I didn't know that as I said earlier that's the rumors in the town.

Are my reading this right?

http://www.bootsopticiansfranchise.com/franchising.php

• Registered Users Posts: 16 retiredhurler

that's the opticians, not the chemists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

I've seen that before. Did your eyes see the bit about "opticians".

Boots is boots up to yourself if you want to expand to the pharmacy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Opening a massive Boots in Tullamore would be insane. The town is well supplied with good pharmacies. There probably is a gap in the market for them but they wouldn't get the business to sustain a huge premises like De Bruins.

• Advertisement

Opening a massive Boots in Tullamore would be insane. The town is well supplied with good pharmacies. There probably is a gap in the market for them but they wouldn't get the business to sustain a huge premises like De Bruins.

This true. There must be 8 or 9 pharmacies in Tullamore at the minute.

Advertisement