Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SolidWorks test during Interview.

• 21-11-2013 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

I've an interview in Sheffield tomorrow for a process engineer position. I've just been informed that there will be some sort of impromptu SolidWorks test. I'm just wondering, has anyone sat anything like this before? What do they generally look for?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What level are you at yourself? i.e. recent grad or will you be expected to know much about Solidworks.

I've done two tests during interviews myself and have given one myself.

The two tests I did was when I was only a year out of college. The first pretty simple, I think I'd to model a nut and put a thread on it, may have had to do a drawing too. The second was slightly more difficult but very straight forward too. I'd to model a few parts, create an assembly, and then do a drawing. The parts weren't pretty straight forward and the assembly only contained a few parts too.

In both of these they were looking to see if I could do the basics (create a part, use the sketcher, perform extrusions and revolves, create an assembly, mate parts with the basic mate controls, create a drawing, put in a detail view, and dimension the drawing) there were no difficult features to model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What level are you at yourself? i.e. recent grad or will you be expected to know much about Solidworks.

I've done two tests during interviews myself and have given one myself.

The two tests I did was when I was only a year out of college. The first pretty simple, I think I'd to model a nut and put a thread on it, may have had to do a drawing too. The second was slightly more difficult but very straight forward too. I'd to model a few parts, create an assembly, and then do a drawing. The parts weren't pretty straight forward and the assembly only contained a few parts too.

In both of these they were looking to see if I could do the basics (create a part, use the sketcher, perform extrusions and revolves, create an assembly, mate parts with the basic mate controls, create a drawing, put in a detail view, and dimension the drawing) there were no difficult features to model.

Recent grad. I had 3 months experience with a company. I was mainly working with solidworks but it was very simple stuff (mostly scaffolding). The role itself involves little to no design work at all. It just states that you need to have some sort of knowledge of solidworks. Kinda nervous to see what they throw at me to be honest. Even a nut with a thread on it sounds intimidating at this stage haha.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you're a recent grad that won't be testing you too much and if you've used it a bit you'll be surprised at how much you might actually know once you're given a problem.

One of the things I was told about the tests was would I be able to use the help files if needed i.e. if I didn't know something could I still use the software to solve it.

It's probably a bit late but do you know anyone with a copy of the software that you could practice on?

If not have a take a few things that they might ask you to model and think how would you go about it? As in what would you sketch or extrude or revolve etc.

I only got it informed about the test about 2 hours ago so getting any sort of practice isn't going to happen. I'm fairly confident with basic modelling and assembling. Just been watching a few videos on youtube to brush up. I think the idea of not knowing what they're going to ask me to design is whats getting to me.

Don't forget to say that you only found out about the Solidworks bit this evening.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Don't forget to say that you only found out about the Solidworks bit this evening.

Really? I was always under the impression that all excuses should be left at the door.

Hmm, I dunno.

I'd say it anyway.

Sure I'll see how it goes. I'll post back here on Saturday to let ya know how it went and what the test ended up being. Sound for the advice.

No worries and best of luck.

One other thing. For one of the tests I did the person doing the test went through a few things with me first. If that happens to you, even if you think you that stuff, let them do it and pay attention. When I was in the situation where I was giving a test I gave the candidate the test and asked did they want to go through a couple of things first. Some said no and didn't do great and some said yes and did better.

Got back yesterday from the interview. Went well. The test was to draw a pulley system. Was a handy enough revolve nothing too complex. Seemed impressed with my grades and my willingness to travel. Have another interview with a place called Gilkes in Cumbria. I'd rather work in Ireland but I haven't got so much as an email back about any of the positions I've applied for here.

• Advertisement

Thought id follow up on this as I kind of just left it hanging. I went for the interview in Kendal in the lake district. I ended up getting the position and start work on the 6th of January. I'll be designing and testing engine cooling pumps.

I do have a few concerns though. I spent the last few weeks looking for a place to stay, getting money together, setting up a bank account and then I spent Christmas travelling to see family. I had initially intended to look over some notes on pumps to try and re-familiarise myself with pumps but I've had little to no time with organising everything. I remember bits and pieces but if you handed me a Fluid dynamics paper now I don't think id be able to answer a full question. Will they expect me to have gone away and worked at the subject before stating I guess is what I'm trying to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Congratulations on getting the job, great to read a good news story. I wouldn't bother going through fluid dynamics theory; as a grad they'll probably start you on something simple.

I would try to understand their business market, and anything specific on the job spec, so you can demonstrate value quickly.

Advertisement