Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport office from hueston or connolly station

Options
  • 21-11-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

A relative who is not familiar with dublin is going there in the morning, can anyone advise me which of the stations (hueston or connolly) would be easier for them to get off at to get to the passport office, using either bus or luas...or taxi if thats the best option.

also how much approx fare for a taxi from the passport office to connolly station on return

thanks very much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Heuston and Connolly are not attached, where is your relative coming from and that will tell us which station they should arrive into.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Connolly would definitely be closer to molesworth st than Heuston, I reckon a taxi from Connolly would be around ten euro but depends how busy traffic is

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1414

hi,yeah i know they arent connected but shes getting the bus which stops at hueston and then at busaras (which is right beside connolly)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/ will give you a rough taxi price once you know which station they're arriving into.

http://hittheroad.ie/ or http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en will help you work out the public transport alternatives.

thanks thoie i found that site on google earlier for the taxi fare but wasnt sure if it was accurate. will plan for €10 each way with connolly i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

1414 wrote: »
    hi,yeah i know they arent connected but shes getting the bus which stops at hueston and then at busaras (which is right beside connolly)

http://hittheroad.ie/#from=Heuston,+Dublin(53.346647,-6.291808)&to=Molesworth+Street,+Dublin(53.341149,-6.257048)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

The walk from Connolly/Busaras to Molesworth st only takes about 20 mins too, so might be no need for a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

That website is strange. The first route says to get the Luas from Heuston and then get a 39a, 145 or a 37. Eh, the 145 leaves from Heuston.

Anyway, the 145 will go from Heuston to Kildare Street and Molesworth Street is just off that. Coming back, they can get the 145 from Dawson Street, which is the other end of Molesworth Street.

Stevecw wrote: »
    The walk from Connolly/Busaras to Molesworth st only takes about 20 mins too, so might be no need for a taxi.

she would walk it except shes short on time, has roughly an hour from arriving to when she has to be back to catch the train home.

do the dublin buses run often or would there be a 15/20min wait between them?

she would walk it except shes short on time, has roughly an hour from arriving to when she has to be back to catch the train home.

do the dublin buses run often or would there be a 15/20min wait between them?

Here's the timetable:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/145/

• Advertisement

I take it they have an appointment?

http://www.dfa.ie/home/?id=253

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This, also if you want an accurate journey planner, use www.a-b.ie

Either get off at Heuston and get the 145 to Kildare Street. Or get off at Busaras and get the 15 to Kildare Street, both will leave you 2 minutes away.

foreign wrote: »

no appointment made, was told i wouldn't need to in my case

passport office made a huge mistake on my passport and promised to have it fixed/returned to me by tomorrow morning as im due to travel at the weekend,as of this evening it hadn't been posted so now i have to get a relative to travel up and pay their expenses so they can collect it for me..for an error thats not my fault :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If time is that tight, I'd advise her to get off the bus at Heuston and get a taxi from there. The taxi will have her in Molesworth Street, long before the bus will have traipsed down the quays & arrived at Busaras/Connolly. Traffic along the quays is never good even, at the best of times.

Does she have a back up travel plan, in case she is late for the bus she is planning on getting home? The passport office does not have a good reputation for getting people in and out the door speedily. Even if she is just picking up your passport, if there are 10 people in the queue ahead of her to be seen to, she is still going to have to wait her turn.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If time is that tight, I'd advise her to get off the bus at Heuston and get a taxi from there. The taxi will have her in Molesworth Street, long before the bus will have traipsed down the quays & arrived at Busaras/Connolly. Traffic along the quays is never good even, at the best of times.

Does she have a back up travel plan, in case she is late for the bus she is planning on getting home? The passport office does not have a good reputation for getting people in and out the door speedily. Even if she is just picking up your passport, if there are 10 people in the queue ahead of her to be seen to, she is still going to have to wait her turn.

thanks i will tell her that would be the best option so. no back up travel plan, she has to get that train home up or down so i just hope they can give her the passport.

the woman i was speaking to was in balbriggan and seemed to be a bit higher up than the normal customer service agents, she said if there is a problem to tell them to ring her and she will deal with it, but there shouldnt be. also she said for my relative to go upstairs rather than join the queue downstairs which will be much longer. i assume this is only because they made such a big mistake.

thanks for all of the help everyone! is there a taxi rank near the passport office to get back to connolly?

thanks for all of the help everyone! is there a taxi rank near the passport office to get back to connolly?

There's one on Dawson street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

There is no shortage of taxis in DCC, don't worry about that part!!

thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

also she said for my relative to go upstairs rather than join the queue downstairs which will be much longer. i assume this is only because they made such a big mistake.

The last time I was in the passport office all collections were upstairs, that was about 6 months ago. Downstairs was for applications. Depending on the time of day taxi to and from either train station and a possible 10-20 wait in the PPO is very tight to catch the return bus.

The last time I was in the passport office all collections were upstairs, that was about 6 months ago. Downstairs was for applications. Depending on the time of day taxi to and from either train station and a possible 10-20 wait in the PPO is very tight to catch the return bus.

really..i have never been there so wouldnt know. she said on the phone that the big collection queues would be downstairs and we would have almost no wait upstairs! :mad:

not surprised that she lied since they seem to be good at that eg. promising that i'd have it back in the morning when it was still being printed at 5pm this evening. well they can sort it out somehow because it was their mistake and a pretty big one at that.

• Advertisement

No one is saying that she lied OP. But it is a government office, just like the dole office or the motor tax office. You are rarely in and out of them in 5 minutes. To expect to do so, is being a tad unrealistic. There may very well be no queue in the collections dept, or there may be a long one. The lady on phone, doesn't have a crystal ball to know for sure how many people will turn up there tomorrow. She can just go by what she thinks will happen. Tell your relative to be proactive in letting them know that she is in a hurry & why & she may get bumped to the front of the queue, if there is one.

never expected them to get in and out in 5 minutes dont think i said that anywhere either, i was expecting maybe 20-30mins but yeah will do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

really..i have never been there so wouldnt know. she said on the phone that the big collection queues would be downstairs and we would have almost no wait upstairs! :mad:

As I said it's been 6 months since I was in the PPO so things could have changed.
    never expected them to get in and out in 5 minutes dont think i said that anywhere either, i was expecting maybe 20-30mins but yeah will do

Even with a 20-30 minutes wait in the PPO that leaves it very tight with to get to and from either train station. Depending on the time of day and roadworks and other disruptions around the city, not to mention some taxi drivers don't always take the most direct route an hour is right up to the limit. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ProudDUB wrote: »

Frankly the 145 will not take very much longer from Heuston than a taxi will for that trip. It operates every 10 minutes.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Frankly the 145 will not take very much longer from Heuston than a taxi will for that trip. It operates every 10 minutes.

I agree, if time didn't matter, that is what I would tell them to do. But the OP's relative is operating on a very, very tight schedule. She needs to get to the passport office, conduct her business there and get back to the station for her bus home, all within one hour. I don't think that she should waste 10-20 mins waiting on a bus, then waste more time waiting for it to stop and let other passengers on and off. A taxi will take her from door to door with no waiting or delays. As she has no idea what (if any) delays she may face when she gets to the passport, time is of the essence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I find it difficult to believe that there is any route that has those constraints to be honest - there are later buses/trains!!

thanks everyone in the end just went with a taxi, cost about 8 euro each way. no delay in the passport office they had it ready straight away!

Advertisement