Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Company made mistake on the phone, now want more € from me...?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Just wondering where I stand with this matter.

I have a classic car insured with a company in Ireland, and I have 5 years NCB.
    I wanted to insure a second car (a Renault Clio) on that policy, but as it's a classic policy, they couldn't add the 2nd car.

Ok, so I called around a few companies, and got a decent price from a separate insurance company (I'm probably not allowed to name them on here, but they're a big, mainstream name).
    The price I was given on the phone was for 3rd party insurance, based on me having no no NCB. I went with it, and paid the full year over the phone.

A week or so later, I'm wondering where my insurance disc is. I call the company, and they inform me that the agent made an error with the price, so I have to pay an additional €230.... !!!

I can't now cancel the policy, because due to all this waiting around for them to bother to tell me any of this, I've gone past the 14 day cancellation period.
    (If I do cancel it, there'll be a hefty charge).

So my options are to cough up an extra €230, or pay a big cancellation fee and look for insurance elsewhere.
    They recorded the original call and decide the agent made a mistake, they've "reprimanded" her, and now I'm the one being punished. Is that right?
    Surely they have to stick by their original price, no?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

You agreed to a contract with the original price so there is no reason why they are legally allowed to change the contents of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 zzaaaaaaaaaap

Pov06 wrote: »
    You agreed to a contract with the original price so there is no reason why they are legally allowed to change the contents of the contract.

That's what I spent 20 minutes arguing over the phone this afternoon.
    It's not MY fault their sales rep messed up, surrrrely?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ray13

No they have to honour it. Who is the insurance company? You have the option of sending a complaint to the Insurance ombudsman.

Ray13 wrote: »
    No they have to honour it. Who is the insurance company? You have the option of sending a complaint to the Insurance ombudsman.

Nononsense.ie ... their name is now factually incorrect too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just wondering where I stand with this matter.

I have a classic car insured with a company in Ireland, and I have 5 years NCB.
    I wanted to insure a second car (a Renault Clio) on that policy, but as it's a classic policy, they couldn't add the 2nd car.

Ok, so I called around a few companies, and got a decent price from a separate insurance company (I'm probably not allowed to name them on here, but they're a big, mainstream name).
    The price I was given on the phone was for 3rd party insurance, based on me having no no NCB. I went with it, and paid the full year over the phone.

A week or so later, I'm wondering where my insurance disc is. I call the company, and they inform me that the agent made an error with the price, so I have to pay an additional €230.... !!!

I can't now cancel the policy, because due to all this waiting around for them to bother to tell me any of this, I've gone past the 14 day cancellation period.
    (If I do cancel it, there'll be a hefty charge).

So my options are to cough up an extra €230, or pay a big cancellation fee and look for insurance elsewhere.
    They recorded the original call and decide the agent made a mistake, they've "reprimanded" her, and now I'm the one being punished. Is that right?
    Surely they have to stick by their original price, no?

Tell them they can't have it both ways. If they expect you honour the part of the contract which stipulates a 14 day cancellation period, then they should honour the price given to you originally, as it was that price which encourarged you to agree to the contract in the first place.

• Advertisement

Duiske wrote: »
    Tell them they can't have it both ways. If they expect you honour the part of the contract which stipulates a 14 day cancellation period, then they should honour the price given to you originally, as it was that price which encourarged you to agree to the contract in the first place.

Yeah, I've tried all that today on the phone... am really not happy with this.

Is this who I need to contact? :

http://financialombudsman.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ray13 wrote: »

He will need to go through the insurance companies complaints procedure first, before contacting the ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Duiske wrote: »
    He will need to go through the insurance companies complaints procedure first, before contacting the ombudsman.

Exactly.

And forget the phone, it's pen to paper time from now on.
    Details of the complaints procedure is on their website
    http://www.nononsense.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭michael jay

sorry for opening this up after such a gap but would like to know what happened, something similiar happening to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Well you have to tell us what the error was. In the previous case we only had the OP saying the insurer made the mistake but didn't back it up with specifics

• Advertisement
Advertisement