Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue streams from Android Homepage Widgets

Options
  • 21-11-2013 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

Homepage widgets are a nice and often useful concept in Android. Unfortunately though, as their screen real estate is limited, this cuts out a particularly lucrative revenue stream from the picture, that of banner advertising, and thus forces the developer to look elsewhere for their ROI.

So lets consider the widget in question; sits on your homescreen doing its 'thing' and also allows you to launch a preferences screen/activity for the purposes of tweaking the settings - chances are you'll only ever go into that once or twice ever.

Naturally, there's the 'paid pro' version concept, whereby the user may decide to buy a paid version, for it's improved functionality. Problem, in particular with Android, is conversion rates are ridiculously low, so this is hardly a viable revenue model most of the time.

In-app purchases are possible, but highly dependant on what 'thing' the widget is designed to do, so in many cases, this too is a dead end.

Other forms of advertising are also an option, and if so which would best lend itself to a widget? And would it be too intrusive? And, of course, do they actually get any return?

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences they wish to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i dunno about the conventional wisdom of android users not buying apps. i've apps in both markets, and while iOS still earns more, the gap has rapidly shrunk in the last 12 months. also, it depends on what kind of app it is and a multitude of other variables.

still, all my apps are free to download to trial with some form of IAP to unlock and i would NEVER have a proper paid version these days in either store. so i think that's what you should do. release the widget fully functional for free and give the user a trial of 7 days or something with an IAP to unlock. be sure to mention this in app description or you'll get a lot of 1 star reviews which will kill your play store ranking as you know yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

still, all my apps are free to download to trial with some form of IAP to unlock and i would NEVER have a proper paid version these days in either store. so i think that's what you should do. release the widget fully functional for free and give the user a trial of 7 days or something with an IAP to unlock. be sure to mention this in app description or you'll get a lot of 1 star reviews which will kill your play store ranking as you know yourself.
    Thanks for your input.

So, a time-limited fully functional version, rather than an upgradable limited functionality version? Wouldn't many simply reinstall once every seven days? And how do you handle those who buy a licence via IAP's, then look for their money back from Google, as soon as they have what they want?

Still, I would have thought there were non-banner advertising options out there too. Push advertising networks are an option, such as Airpush or LeadBolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

you can use subscriptions with a free trial if you're worried about people uninstalling and reinstalling. it'll be tied to their google play account so they won't get another free trial. also, it's pretty difficult to get refunds for IAP: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1061913?hl=en

personally, i wouldn't bother with the subscription stuff as i'm used to the normal IAPs. most people don't try and screw devs over, they just pay for an app if they like it and if it crashes or something, it's only €1 to them so they don't care.

the push ad systems like airpush and leadbolt are banned in the play store since September 23rd, 2013. they were very common to monetise live wallpapers and stuff like that. that party's over though.

maybe there is other ad systems that are still compliant, i wouldn't know as i mostly concentrate on paid apps. there's great info on android ad networks over on this forum:
    http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/advertising-networks/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

personally, i wouldn't bother with the subscription stuff as i'm used to the normal IAPs. most people don't try and screw devs over, they just pay for an app if they like it and if it crashes or something, it's only €1 to them so they don't care.
    I can see where you're coming from where it comes to IAP's, as it's the path of least resistance (i.e. effort) for users and thus will have a much higher conversion rate that asking them to download and install a different version of the app.

Nonetheless, it's not exactly a perfect solution. Other than fraud, which you're willing to ignore, there's the question of re-installations. Subscriptions would appear to solve this, though.
    the push ad systems like airpush and leadbolt are banned in the play store since September 23rd, 2013. they were very common to monetise live wallpapers and stuff like that. that party's over though.
    August 23rd apparently. They have a Google Play compliment API out now, but I expect this is actually just the non-compliment API, with push advertising omitted.
    maybe there is other ad systems that are still compliant, i wouldn't know as i mostly concentrate on paid apps. there's great info on android ad networks over on this forum:
    http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/advertising-networks/
    I've been following that site since before it had a forum. It does make interesting suggestions; one that is made would work as a variation of what you're suggesting, except instead of using IAP's, it gets the user to 'earn' the unlocking of features by completing Tapjoy installs.

Advertisement