Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank Inspections by Local Authorities

Options
  • 21-11-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

The Local Authorities and the EPA must have a few hundred septic tank inspections carried out at this stage of the year. Does anybody have any feedback on these that they can share?

I'm often asked to comment on treatment systems in my line of work, and I imagine the LAs must have the same problems that I do. The septic tank is usually accessible, but there is no way to tell what the percolation area is like, unless someone wants to dig it back up to check. And for a septic tank system, the percolation area is where most of the treatment takes place.

It would be good to get a few simple checks figured out for homeowners with older septic tank systems, so they can tell if they might have problems down the line:
    -The first alarm bell would be if there are any signs of ponding to the ground surrounding the septic tank and percolation area, or if there are any plants here that indicate poor drainage, like marsh thistle.
    -Sometimes the septic tank may be located in an area of garden which is significantly higher than the house floor level. If so, and there are no signs of a pump, you can assume that the percolation pipework is pretty far underground, and may be hitting the watertable. Again that's bad news.
    -Another simple check is to fill the bath with water, let that drain away and maybe let some taps run, and then see if all the toilets still flush without backing up. That checks the capacity of the system, and how easily overloaded it becomes.

Anybody got any other ideas on how you can tell if your treatment system is working properly?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

I may have chosen the wrong title for this thread. Ah well.

From the Indo article in September, they were planning 1000 inspections before the end of 2013, so they must have half of those carried out by now. Strange we haven't heard anything more about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hugo habicht

Hello All,

I recently had a "tank inspection" carried out. The inspector dipped a clear pipe with a bottom valve into the tank to take a sample. It came up with what i could see pretty much water only. Then he dipped it in again stirring up the bottom layer and the second time there was floating matter in the first two feet of the pipe; about 90% of that was still only water. Then they told me that I have 2 feet of sludge in the tank, the inspection failed and that it has to be cleaned.

The tank is in use about 2.5 years with two people in the house. The inspector told me that the tank should be desludged when about 1 foot has accumulated; he reckoned that it should not be more frequent than every two years. That does not match up with 2 feet of sludge either.

Had anybody had similar experience with this? Do they have a "failure quota" set before the inspections started?

Can anybody advise an independed septic tank inspector with no commercial interest in a fail (meaning not affiliated with a tank cleaning company)?

• Advertisement

Hi fclausen,

thank you for the link. It says a lot about the installation guidelines and they mention the quota (53%) to be achieved (I think Cork is pretty much spot on) but I could not find anything about guidelines how the inspections are carried out. Or have I missed something?

The inspectors told me the tank should be cleaned when 30cm of sludge is reached. In my tank there was less than 5cm (didn't even go beyond the valve at the first attempt). I cannot believe that those 5cm which is then 5..10% (by volume) floating matter over 60cm stirred up from the bottom by the tester qualifies as sludge.

I may phone the EPA and see what they say.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi fclausen,

thank you for the link. It says a lot about the installation guidelines and they mention the quota (53%) to be achieved (I think Cork is pretty much spot on) but I could not find anything about guidelines how the inspections are carried out. Or have I missed something?

The inspectors told me the tank should be cleaned when 30cm of sludge is reached. In my tank there was less than 5cm (didn't even go beyond the valve at the first attempt). I cannot believe that those 5cm which is then 5..10% (by volume) floating matter over 60cm stirred up from the bottom by the tester qualifies as sludge.

I may phone the EPA and see what they say.

how can you go from 2 feet of sludge to 5cm?

see here
    http://www.epa.ie/water/wastewater/info/insp/#.UzxmU_ldVIH

sydthebeat wrote: »
    how can you go from 2 feet of sludge to 5cm?
    About 60cm with 90%..95% water contents will be 3..6cm when settled (60cm * 5% .. 60cm * 10%).

When the pipe was dipped first there was no sludge visible; the black valve part at the bottom is about 10..12cm long; so that part cannot be seen (could have been anywhere from 0..12cm). Then in the second dip (after stirring things up) there was floating matter about 60cm high but with mainly water.

But thank you for the link; I found there that you can insist on a reinspection (with a 20 Euro fee though).

I still did not find a definition of "sludge" and how the test should be carried out.

Google images and then "septic tank sludge"

there is a lot of material there for looking at but thank god not smelling :eek:

fclauson wrote: »
    ...but thank god not smelling :eek:
    I'm glad google hasn't invented the internet STP yet ("Smell Transfer Protocol") :)

After looking at those pictures I'm certain now that those "inspectors" were trying to fool me stirring up some loose material. Maybe they have to fulfill a failure quota or they didn't like me.

I'll definitely get a retest.

Hard to believe that this is an isolated case; the way they did it looked like routine; that's why I'm asking here:
    Are there other people out there where the test failed and they didn't see a lot of sludge either in the test pipe?

• Advertisement

I am looking into making my own test pipe - seems easy

a 2 inch perspex pipe, a piece of string and a soft ball - again check google for a drawing on how to do this

http://inspectapedia.com/septic/Septic_Tank_Measuring_Tool.htm

check this one with the cloth (bottom of page):
    http://www.aero-stream.com/how-to-measure-septic-tank-sludge-depth/
    looks even easier to make.

I don't even have to check; I saw what was in their test pipe. The tank is in use 2.5 years now; there is no way 60cm of sludge could have built up. Even the "inspectors" report says desludging every 4 years.

I tried the rag method and it said I had no sludge !!

why the perspex pipe then? Was the rug made of suitable material and only loosely wrapped around the stick?

Did you have an "inspection" as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Then they told me that I have 2 feet of sludge in the tank, the inspection failed and that it has to be cleaned.

Is that the sole result of the inspection, that you have to desludge your tank ? If so I'd say that's not too bad, notwithstanding the fact that you don't believe the test was accurate.

Also, was the inspector from the local authority ? You seem to believe that he was affiliated to a tank cleaning company. If he was, then you didn't have an official inspection in my opinion.

I'd be far more concerned if they said that the entire system had to be upgraded at huge cost and disruption. Average cost of having a tank desludged is €100 btw.

why the perspex pipe then? Was the rug made of suitable material and only loosely wrapped around the stick?

Did you have an "inspection" as well?
    Rag just came up white - tried kitchen role and an old shirt - neither worked

No inspection as yet - only been in 18 months but we do use a sink waste disposal unit so there will be more solids

My registration was unique - to save money we did it two weeks before the tank was actually on site !!

Supertech wrote: »
    Is that the sole result of the inspection, that you have to desludge your tank ? If so I'd say that's not too bad, notwithstanding the fact that you don't believe the test was accurate.

Also, was the inspector from the local authority ? You seem to believe that he was affiliated to a tank cleaning company. If he was, then you didn't have an official inspection in my opinion.

I'd be far more concerned if they said that the entire system had to be upgraded at huge cost and disruption. Average cost of having a tank desludged is €100 btw.

I got quoted 200

Yes, the desludging was the whole result.

The inspectors were from the local county council; they said the whole installation was perfect. This is actually not correct; I (intentionally) did not put a T-piece on the inlet which (what I learned now) prevents a crust forming on the top (inspectors actually said they only found one tank with crust on top so far).

Inspectors said desludging is about 250 Euro; could be a Cork specific price; I noticed price fixing in other areas before.

But why would I pay that if the test was done incorrectly? I have to assume this was done intentionally; that's where I have a problem with.

The tests are carried out on a very small number of tanks but you can be sure the results will lead to regulations (and costs for the owners). If the statistical results are being manipulated now (as in my case) we have a serious problem here that is better exposed now then when it's too late.

That's why I posted my question here in the hope that other people that witnessed "sludge" would come forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Perhaps you should post in the conspiracies thread because that's some assumption based on one inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I got quoted 200

Now I'm really worried my septic tank looks nothing like any of those diagrams in the links.

I have neighbours either side who empty the tank for "Ah sure your grand" - we help each other out but :confused:

• Advertisement

Maphisto wrote: »
    Now I'm really worried my septic tank looks nothing like any of those diagrams in the links.

I have neighbours either side who empty the tank for "Ah sure your grand" - we help each other out but :confused:

enjoy

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/man-before-limerick-court-for-emptying-septic-tanks-without-a-licence-1-4881740

SEWAGE SLUDGE MANAGEMENT

1. HOUSEHOLDERS

A. I need to empty my septic tank, what should I do?
    Septic tanks should be pumped when sludge and scum accumulation exceed 30% of the tank volume or are encroaching on the inlet and outlet baffle entrances. Periodic pumping of septic tanks is recommended to ensure proper system performance and reduce the risk of hydraulic failure. Septic tanks should be de-sludged at a minimum of once every year, in cases where the septic tank is at, or near, its design load capacity, de-sludging should be more often if the rate of sludge building-up required more frequent removal. Accumulated sludge and scum material found in the tank should be removed by an appropriately permitted contractor in accordance with the Waste Management (Collection Permit) Regulations 2001. (see table below for some exceptions to the requirement to hold such a permit).

The local authority have a list of permitted contractors in the area. The permitted contractor will arrange for the disposal of the sludge in accordance with the national legislations via either disposal to agriculture or disposal to a managed wastewater treatment municipal facility. Householders should obtain a certificate from the permitted contractor each time their tank is de-sludged.

2. CONTRACTORS/FARMERS/SLUDGE REMOVERS

A. What permits/authorisations do I require to empty septic tanks/waste water treatment systems?

 Firstly, you must hold a Waste Collection Permit issued by the Local Authority, or from 1st February 2012 by the National Waste Collection Permit Office (nwcpo@offalycoco.ie), under the Waste Management (Collection Permit) Regulations 2001 to transport off site any waste, including sewage sludge from septic tanks or treatment systems. See table below for a list of scenarios where such permits are/are not required.

 Disposal/Recycling of the sludge material will then either be by:

1. landspreading it in accordance with the legislation detailed in item 1) below, or
    2. bringing it to an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Licensed Wastewater Treatment Plant which accepts this material. Such facilities located in Kildare are listed in item 2) below.

1). Sludge from a septic tank or a sewage treatment system that is intended to be directly landspread should be managed in accordance with the Waste Management (Use of Sewage Sludge in Agriculture) Regulations, 1998 and its amendment Waste Management (Use of Sewage Sludge in Agriculture) (Amendment) Regulations, 2001. These regulations allow for the landspreading of untreated sewage sludge on grass land and on tillage land once it is worked into the land, provided that certain criteria are met and that it is carried out in accordance with the Nutrient Management Plan for the lands in question. Such Nutrient Management Plans must be submitted to the Local Authority for approval prior to any landspreading taking place and must also comply with the European Communities (Good Agricultural Practice for Protection of Waters) Regulations 2010.

2). Alternatively, sewage sludge can be brought to approved Waste Water Treatment Plants. In Kildare there are 3 Wastewater Treatment Plants that will accept sewage sludge; Athy WWTP, Leixlip WWTP and Osberstown WWTP. Contractors should contact the Treatment Plant beforehand to confirm acceptance and arrange delivery.

B. Can a farmer empty a septic tank for a neighbour, and spread it on his land?
    No. The collection of wastes by any person or business for the purpose of profit, reward or otherwise in the course of business requires a waste collection permit under the Waste Management (Collection Permit) Regulations, 2001. From the 1st February 2012, Offaly County Council are the Nominated Authority of the processing of all new Waste Collection Permit applications and review applications. The National Waste Collection Permit Office can be contacted on 057-9357428 or nwcpo@offalycoco.ie. Farmers and farm contractors fall within the scope of this definition, and householders should always check in advance that the contractors they use have the required permits.
    The following table is a summary of the various scenarios that may arise, and whether a collection permit is required in each scenario.
    Please note that in addition to whether a Collection Permit is required, or not, the relevant legislation regarding landspreading (Waste Management (Use of Sewage Sludge in Agriculture) Regulations, 1998, as amended in 2001 and European Communities (Good Agricultural Practice for Protection of Waters) 2010) must also be complied with.

Scenario Collection Permit Requirement? Relevant Section in Collection Permit Regulations
    Farmer collecting waste on his own land, and spreading it on his own land, including outlying lands in the same tenure. No permit required. Gathered, sorted or mixed on the premises where it arose.
    Contractor spreading waste for a farmer, on the farm on which the waste arose, including outlying lands in the same tenure. No permit required. Gathered, sorted or mixed on the premises where it arose.
    Contractor collecting waste from a farm and transporting it for disposal or recovery on another premises. Permit required. Section 34: Collection for the purpose of reward.
    Farmer collecting waste not owned by him or her, and transporting it for recovery or disposal on another premises. Permit required. Section 34: Collection for the purpose of reward.
    Contractor collecting septic tank sludge for recovery or disposal off site. Permit required. Section 34: Collection for the purpose of reward.
    Farmer transporting wastes or excavation spoil for recovery off site. Permit required. Section 34: Collection for the purpose of reward.
    Contractor collecting wastes from an Integrated Pollution Control (IPC)-licensed facility, and spreading on his or her own, or licensee-owned, or independently owned, spread lands. Permit required. Section 34: Collection for the purpose of reward.
    Farmer collecting wastes from an IPC facility and spreading it on his or her own land. Permit required. Section 34: Collection for the purpose of reward.

C. What are the main requirements in the legislation governing the management of septic tank/treatment systems sewage sludge?

i. Water Services (Amendment) Act 2012 No. 2 of 2012

This Act amends specific Sections the Water Services Act 2007 and also has sections on the following:
     the requirement to register domestic waste water treatment systems.
     the duties of owners of premises connected to domestic waste water treatment systems,
     the inspection process,
     the appointment of inspectors,
     the register of inspectors,
     the powers of inspectors,
     the inspection process,
     the supervision of the Agency of Water Services Authorities,
     the direction to inspectors,
     the National Inspection Plan,
     Regulations, and
     Offences and penalties

ii. Water Services Acts 2007 and 2012 Domestic Waste Water Treatment Systems (Registration) Regulations 2012, SI No. 220 of 2012

This legislation details the requirement to Register domestic waste water treatment systems, including
     the prescribed date by which this must be done (1st February 2013),
     the registration fee (€5 before 28th September 2012, and €50 thereafter),
     the means of application (to the relevant water services authority in writing, or electronically via www.protectourwater.ie),
     information required in the application (name of owner, correspondence address of owner, address of treatment system),
     method of payment (in writing- by cheque, bank draft, postal order or credit/debit card, or also by cash when fee is being paid in person to the water services authority, or finally by credit/debit card when fee is being paid via the internet)

iii. Water Services (Amendment) Act 2012 (Commencement) Order 2012, SI No. 219 of 2012

This legislation gives effect to the Act, and appoints 26th June 2012, as the commencement date

iv. Water Services Acts 2007 and 2012 (Domestic Waste Water Treatment Systems) Regulations 2012, SI No. 223 of 2012

This legislation details information on the Operation and Maintenance of domestic waste water treatment systems and also on de-sludging. Of particular note are the following sections:

• Section 2(1): A domestic waste water treatment system shall be operated and maintained by its owner so that domestic waste water or sewage effluent shall not emit, discharge, seept, leak or otherwise escape from the system, or part thereof;

• Section 2(2): Roof water or surface water run-off shall not enter a domestic waste water treatment system

• Section 2(3): The owner of a domestic waste water treatment system shall be responsible for its maintenance and renewal and shall ensure that its parts and components are fit for purpose, operational where appropriate and kept in good order and repair so as to prevent a risk to human health or the environment.

• Section 3(1): A domestic waste water treatment system shall be de-sludged at intervals appropriate to the tank capacity and the number of persons resident in the premises connected to it or as recommended by the systems manufacturer.

• Section 3(2): De-sludging shall be carried out by a contractor authorised under the Waste Management (Collection Permit) Regulations 2007 (SI No. 820 of 2007), as amended

• Section 3(3): An owner shall obtain evidence of de-sludging or a receipt from the authorised contractor each time their tank is de-sludged and such evidence or receipt shall be retained for a period of five years

• Section 4(4): .....the owner of a domestic waste water treatment system may carry out de-sludging of that system and use its contents in agriculture, subject to compliance with all relevant national legislative requirements (see below)

v. S.I. No. 148 of 1998- Waste Management (Use of Sewage Sludge in Agriculture) Regulations, 1998, as amended (S.I. No. 267 of 2001)

• Septic Tank sludge is not treated sludge and therefore cannot be used in agriculture (Article 3 (2)) unless it can be injected or otherwise worked into the land (Article 3 (3)).
    • There is one exception however, as it can be applied to grassland provided that the grassland is not grazed within 6 months following landspreading. It cannot be directly applied to any other crops. (Article 3 (4)).
    • Its use on grassland requires a Nutrient Management Plan, and also the requirements set out in Article 4.
    • It does not require returns to the Local Authority for inclusion in the Sludge Register. (Article 9)
    • Soil Analysis must be carried out in accordance with Articles 6 and 7(1), and specifically those set out in Parts I, II and III.
    • Sludge Analysis must be carried out in accordance with Article 7(2), as detailed in Part IV. Section 6 of Part IV should be noted as it requires that the sludge analysis be carried out within six months after the commencement of the use of such sludge in agriculture.

vi. Waste Management Act, 1996, as amended by Article 23 of 2007 Facility Permit Regulations:

• A Waste Licence is not required for the recovery of sludge when used in agriculture

vii. Waste Management Act 1996-2009 and S.I. 820 of 2007-Waste Management (Collection Permit) Regulations 2007:

• A Waste Collection Permit is required to transport septic tank sludge -Articles 32 to 36 of the Act, specifically Art 34

viii. Other relevant legislation, guidance and codes of practice relating to landspreading:

• European Communities (Good Agricultural Practice for Protection of Waters) Regulations 2010 (S.I. No. 610 of 2010)
    • Code of Good Practice for the Use of Biosolids in Agriculture, Department of the Environment
    • S.I. No. 821 of 2007: Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration) Regulations 2007 and amendment S.I. No. 86 of 2008
    • Waste Management (Registration of Sewage Sludge Facility) Regulations 2010, S.I. No 32/2010
    • S.I. No. 18/1996: Local Government (Water Pollution) Act, 1977
    • S.I. No 108/1978: Local Government (Water Pollution) Regulations, 1978
    • S.I. No. 270/1992: Local Government (Water Pollution)(Amendment) Act, 1990
    • S.I. No. 271/1992: Local Government (Water Pollution) Regulations, 1992
    • S.I. No. 184/1996: Local Government (Water Pollution)(Amendment)
    Regulations, 1996.
    • S.I. No. 42/1999: Local Government (Water Pollution)(Amendment) Regulations, 1999.

Note: Kildare County Council have developed a document entitled 'Protocol for the use of Sewage Sludge in Agriculture', and is available on the Council website (www.kildare.ie/countycouncil/Environment/Farmingandtheenvironment.ie). It details the requirements for landspreading treated sewage sludge (Biosolids) arising in Waste Water Treatment Plants.

hexosan wrote: »
    Perhaps you should post in the conspiracies thread because that's some assumption based on one inspection.
    So explain to me then: why would the inspectors stir up the sludge and trying to make me believe it's 60cm deep?

So far nobody else here reported an inspection so that means 100% of the tank inspections reported here were manipulated (yes I know myself that a sample size of one has no statistical significance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Fcuk. Even for just a fiver registration I knew I was just going to end up screwed by the time the process was completed.

(yes I know myself that a sample size of one has no statistical significance).

My point made for me

You still haven't explained why they stirred up the sludge. Tell me, why?

You still haven't explained why they stirred up the sludge. Tell me, why?

I can't answer that for you but I'd be confident it's not because of a nationwide conspiracy as you have suggested.

Well it may not be nationwide (which we don't know) but it is definitely a conspiracy: there were two men involved.

Advertisement