Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving dogs to Italy

• 21-11-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. <snip> I'm planning on moving to Italy at the end of February and am a little confused about what to do and how to go about it. I am bringing 3 dogs with me. I was looking at going by boat but I realised it would probably cost too much. Initially I was nervous of flying with the dogs and thought it would be ridiculously pricey but with further investigation I think this will be the cheapest and easiest. I'm just still nervous and would like to talk to someone who has been through it and can ease my fears or point me in the right direction? I'd appreciate any advice you could give. Thanks a mill

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi KarinaM,
    I have split your post away from the thread you posted in, as the person you were addressing has not used boards.ie for over a year, so it's unlikely they'll see your enquiry. Hopefully others will see your separate thread now and be able to help.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Hi KarinaM,
    I did the trip from italy to here but without dogs and yes, it's a bit long.
    I don't know about the price with a dog, but a friend did it.
    I have no experience with flights, but I wanted to let you know that I am planning to drive from Dublin to Milan in the near future.. if that can help you with the cost we could arrange (I don't know if they are big dogs and fit in a normal car :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

A number of the greyhound transporters bring rescue greys and other dogs to Italy so perhaps you could get the dogs booked onto one of them.

When are you going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Good point Inexile!

I have a recommendation OP if you want to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westkryveggirl

Are you going to be moving your car to Italy? I moved to Rome for school for a year and I drove there, Rosslare to Cherbourg. i went over and back on celtic link. this was in 2010-2011 though, so not sure whats changed. It was no problem. There were crates down below deck and I got to take her out and walk her to pee a few times. First they tried to put her on the exposed deck in a cage because they didnt think she would fit or be comfortable in the crates but it was really exposed to the weather, looked a bit mad to me and i told them i had her crate and could we put her down below where she had been on the other journey. dog traveled fine. but then, this depends on if you are planning to bring a car already or not. it was a long drive i have to say! also, not sure if there is a limit to the number of dogs you can take on the ferry or not. good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement