Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Culture Show: Me, You and Doctor Who

• 22-11-2013 12:24am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Friday 22nd November @ 9.30

Continuing the weeks series of Doctor Who related material, this episode of the Culture Show could be an interesting watch. It apparently will take a look at how Dr. Who has impacted British culture throughout the decades, and mentions people like Douglas Adams and Delia Derbyshire as examples. Will record it anyway, could make for an intriguing, 'legitimate' perspective on the show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03jnw7p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Matthew Sweet is a top host.

Good programme if only a few new things like the possible origins of the basic concept in a play from the late 50s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Had a watch of this in the morning and it was very interesting stuff, though like mike65 says above there wasn't a lot of new info (bar the suggestion the earliest concept came from a 1950s play. The stuff about JNT was also news to me; pretty shocking to learn).

It was always going to be impossible to cover the history of a 50-year old show in only 60 minutes, but it made a good effort to chart the larger points. Made a good argument too about the shows importance as a legitimate cultural icon, although suggesting that the gay marriage laws in the UK were down to the 2005 relaunch is a bit hyperbolic (to be fair that wasn't Sweet's argument, just Caitlin Moran's & I wouldn't have much time for her anyway).

I must say, however good or otherwise the actual Anniversary Special ends up, the documentaries and tangential shows this week have been uniformly entertaining, and a credit to the 50th birthday celebrations. I hope they all find their way onto a combined home release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Caitlin Moran - never knowingly undersells an idea in her head :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This was good - a nice overview and a solid attempt to tie the show into the culture of the time from its music through to its politics and its views on tolerance.

It was important to have a genuine fan presenting it as it added to the show. I had to smile at the huge child-like smile of real pleasure when the lead from Orbital got to see the original tape from 'Doctor Who'.

I'd read about the JNT piece recently in SFX and it's appreciated when it didn't shy away from such matters, including the likes of T. Baker's massive ego.

Personally I'd have liked a tad more on all the fan stuff that occurred between '89-'05 (we got a quick shot of 'Human Nature' but what about all the other books, or the audio dramas and not even a whiff of the '96 TV movie!).

Overall though, nice effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

pixelburp wrote: »
    Had a watch of this in the morning and it was very interesting stuff, though like mike65 says above there wasn't a lot of new info (bar the suggestion the earliest concept came from a 1950s play. The stuff about JNT was also news to me; pretty shocking to learn).

It was always going to be impossible to cover the history of a 50-year old show in only 60 minutes, but it made a good effort to chart the larger points. Made a good argument too about the shows importance as a legitimate cultural icon, although suggesting that the gay marriage laws in the UK were down to the 2005 relaunch is a bit hyperbolic (to be fair that wasn't Sweet's argument, just Caitlin Moran's & I wouldn't have much time for her anyway).

I must say, however good or otherwise the actual Anniversary Special ends up, the documentaries and tangential shows this week have been uniformly entertaining, and a credit to the 50th birthday celebrations. I hope they all find their way onto a combined home release.

Look what found its way ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Look what found its way ;)

Those releases just include the minisodes; I'm talking about a combined (boxset?) release that has the specials, minisodes, the Adventures in Space & Time drama, this Culture Show special, etc. Having gone to the trouble of having a themed week of programming, it'd be cool to have it all in one release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

pixelburp wrote: »
    Those releases just include the minisodes; I'm talking about a combined (boxset?) release that has the specials, minisodes, the Adventures in Space & Time drama, this Culture Show special, etc. Having gone to the trouble of having a themed week of programming, it'd be cool to have it all in one release.

Yeah it would be, maybe the nice dvd people will find a way to add 'exclusive' stuff to it ;)

Advertisement