Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've fried my hair bleaching it like an idiot and now need advice ASAP!

Options
  • 22-11-2013 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So today I bleached my hair in order to get rid of a faded bluey/greeny/brown thing I had going on in order to dye it bright red. I've bleached/dyed my hair quite a few times before with minimal damage but this time something's gone wrong and my hair is utterly fried, it's snapping with the slightest tug on it and is all elasticky. I tried dyeing it red anyway but the dye hasn't taken and it is now a dirty faded orange colour, it looks awful. I'm giving up on unnatural colours for a while and I want to dye it a dark brown, like my natural colour, and let it recover, but the problem is, I need this to happen by this Saturday because I have a really important event on. I know dyeing it yet again is a terrible idea, especially in such a short space of time, but I am completely desperate. I also want to avoid cutting it as much as possible because it's only just gotten to shoulder length. I'm going to sleep with it in a mask tonight but apart from that, is there anything I can do to ensure the brown dye takes? It goes without saying any curling, dyeing or blowdrying will be off limits for the next few months, I just want to get it looking at least slightly normal.

Thanks for any advice, I'm kicking myself right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

How long did you leave the bleach on for? A bleach bath is kinder if you're doing bright colours regularly. Mask today, keep it full of conditioner, do not rinse it out if possible.

You really really should see a hairdresser. If it wasn't so bad I would say throw in some Colour b4 extra strength and see what colour it leaves you, but in the condition your hair is in, you CANNOT do anything chemical without it starting to fall out/ruining it entirely.

Please go see a hairdresser. Even if you can't afford to get something done there, most will be nice enough to advise you.

I hope it all works out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Philip Kingsley elasticizer is amazing. He also does an extreme one. It's available online but i'm not sure where you would get it in Ireland in a hurry unfortunately.

A protein treatment might help, however they don't suit everyones hair type.

Redken used to do a fab product called deep fuel but that has been discontinued and I don't think Redkens other protein products are as good.

If your hair is very elastic it's probably been stripped of the keratin protein that gives it strength, so I'd try a protein treatment and I'd do them very frequently.

An option that won't do any damage is a semi permanent, NOT a 'demi'-permanent or level 2 colour (nothing with 2 bottles that you mix). One that will wash out in 6-8 washes (level 1) just coats the outside of your hair and won't cause any damage and will make it look healthier. You will have to do it quite frequently until your hair recovers enough to go permanent again but if it masks the worst damage while your hair recovers it'll be worth it. You may have no option but to cut a good bit off, as the ends are usually the worst affected.

You poor thing, you must be frantic :( Best of luck with it and let us know how it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cheddarhedd

Protein treatments and all of that are a given, anyway, I guess I just need advice on how to get through this weekend without looking like I have a dirty dishrag on my head. I definitely can't afford to go to the hairdresser's but I was considering popping in later and seeing if one of them can give me some sort of advice so fingers crossed they will be nice enough.

Candie, that actually sounds like a godsend, I didn't realise that was how semis worked. Do you think it would actually take to my hair seems as it only needs to coat the outside of it? A friend of mine who has dyed her hair every colour under the sun just went mad with me and insisted I don't touch my hair til next week, but it's actually depressing how crap it looks so while I obviously don't want to do any more damage, if a semi would work I think I'll try that! I think I'm going to cut the ends off myself at least but I am resigned to the fact that I may have to get it properly cut, hopefully not too short though...

Protein treatments and all of that are a given, anyway, I guess I just need advice on how to get through this weekend without looking like I have a dirty dishrag on my head. I definitely can't afford to go to the hairdresser's but I was considering popping in later and seeing if one of them can give me some sort of advice so fingers crossed they will be nice enough.

Candie, that actually sounds like a godsend, I didn't realise that was how semis worked. Do you think it would actually take to my hair seems as it only needs to coat the outside of it? A friend of mine who has dyed her hair every colour under the sun just went mad with me and insisted I don't touch my hair til next week, but it's actually depressing how crap it looks so while I obviously don't want to do any more damage, if a semi would work I think I'll try that! I think I'm going to cut the ends off myself at least but I am resigned to the fact that I may have to get it properly cut, hopefully not too short though...

I think it might take, but there's only one way to find out really :( I hope it works out, even if it's just a short-term stopgap.

Everyone who's ever had a hair disaster sympathises with you, and I know what getting a haircut you don't want feels like :(

Keep us informed, I'll cross my fingers for you.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much! I'll head into town and get one later today, and will definitely let you know how it goes :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

You really really should see a hairdresser..

I agree do not try any bleaching,colouring or anything without going first to the hairdresser and at least get some advice even if you dont want to get work done at the hairdressers.

BTW ,their after hours(after 5) classes are cheaper if they are doing model classes , enquire about being a model hair client its a lot cheaper.

A semi permanent is okay in my book,but i would still go to the hairdressers to asses the damage and to see if even a semi is okay.

A few years ago i did the same thing dyed my hair with bleach this was when they had the blue bleach powers and mixing developer,anyway long story short my hair nearly fell out after using a semi on top of that.

That is why im warning ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

My advice is by the sounds of it you first need to move this thread out of the "beauty" forum

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

splashthecash If you can't post helpfully, then please don't post at all

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

Hi Cheddarhedd!!

If you still want some advice for home remedies I have found this helpful when personally having fried my hair with bleach. I use the L'Oreal Elvive Smooth & Polish tub of rich conditioner. I put loads and I mean a good lot into my hair and leave it for a few minutes while I shave my legs etc. rinse as normal. After drying my hair I use the L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil for coloured hair (it has a red cap). two pumps does my hair and mine is about 21 inches long. You don't have to use these products per se but a really thick conditioner and a hair oil should see a dramatic improvement in a couple of days. If possible I would try to let the hair dry naturally for a couple of weeks I found drying with a hair dryer prolonged the process of re-nurishing my hair.

Best wishes,

Jo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

dudara wrote: »
    splashthecash If you can't post helpfully, then please don't post at all

dudara

My apologies, I spend most my time in After Hours :-)

I did call into a hairdresser's while I was in town and she was no help at all, I asked her advice on whether or not I should try a semi or leave it alone and all she said was 'I don't know but whatever you do be careful.' No kidding, love.

Anyway I went with a dark brown semi, it took two bottles for some reason but it worked! I am now a very boring chocolatey brown. I also decided to be brave and cut off about an inch in length and some of the more rubbery bits so it looks and feels better already. I will definitely be plastering on the conditioner and oil for the next few weeks! Thanks so much for all the help, I'll buy you all a virtual pint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I also use the loreal oil mentioned above and leave it in overnight, washing it off the next morning. I find it works wonders! Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LauriePallazo

i haven't used bleach on my hair since i believe it can be really harsh on my hair. My hair is extremely curly, and I get Japanese straight perms every six months to straighten it. The straight perms are great, but they present two problems: 1) they damage my hair and make it look frizzy and crispy, and 2) during the time that my perm is growing out, I have curly roots and straight hair so I have to flat iron my roots every morning. But now i'm using Hair Straightening Mask from Unnique and it is working wonders on my hair.

Advertisement