Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router taking long time to connect to internet

• 22-11-2013 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Finally upgraded to eircom eFibre last month and everything was working grand. But over the past few days I've had trouble connecting. My PC connects to the router wirelessly but I don't have an internet connection. The red light stays on for internet. It just takes a long time to connect. Like today it took about 2 and a half hours.

Any ideas why this could be? I'd rather not keep it turned on all the time but if this keeps up, I may have to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why wouldn't you leave it on all the time? They're designed to be left on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm just someone who prefers to not leave things switched on when I'm not using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm just someone who prefers to not leave things switched on when I'm not using them.

well the fact that you are the type of person that prefers to not leave things that are designed to be left on 24/7 could be the sole problem on why its taking so long to reconnect each time.

other things it could be are condition of the line or a fault, post up your line stats and we can go from there ;)

Ah but then why would it have an off switch? :pac:

And to now counter that smartarse reply, I'll just ask a stupid question: What line stats?

I've had broadband in the house for 5 years and eFibre since Oct 29th, turning it off when I go to bed and back on when get home from work. But it's only the past week or less this has been happening.

If I left everything on standby in the house, my electricity bill would be much higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Ah but then why would it have an off switch? :pac:

And to now counter that smartarse reply, I'll just ask a stupid question: What line stats?

I've had broadband in the house for 5 years and eFibre since Oct 29th, turning it off when I go to bed and back on when get home from work. But it's only the past week or less this has been happening.

If I left everything on standby in the house, my electricity bill would be much higher

for reboots, quite simply

to get your stats go to http://192.168.1.254 and take done the info u see others have posted in this topic https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971854

about your bill costing loads for leaving a 12v router plugged in is absolute nonsense they are designed to be left on 24/7 and use minimal power. why do you think its called "Always on Broadband? and not always on and off broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

dazdrog wrote: »
    why do you think its called "Always on Broadband? and not always on and off broadband.

because with the old dial-up modems you had to disconnect(off) to make/take a phone call and the reconnect(on) to the internet, ...that's possible got something to do with it.

ADSL seperates the data(ADSL) from the phone part of the line, and lets you use both similtaneously....always on.

Nonoperational and dazdrog are both right in their advice also.

Ah I know it doesn't use much power but it's just always been a habit to turn off all plugs before going to bed or going away if I've no reason to leave them on.

But in this case the problem is not that I'm turning it off and on but that it's taking so long to connect when it wasn't a problem before.

Thanks for the advice so far

Stats are
    ============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 1 day: 19 hours: 0 minute
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 15.417 Mbps 50.268 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 15.359 Mbps 50.170 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 17.8 dB 18.8 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: -10.9 dBm 14.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.2 dBm 1.4 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 13.2 dB 13.0 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 32.335 Mbps 104.088 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 3.2 16.4 23.5 N/A 9.8 21.9 33.3
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 3.2 15.6 22.6 N/A 11.1 21.7 33.3
    SNR Margin(dB): 17.6 17.8 17.8 N/A 18.8 18.8 18.8
    Transmit Power(dBm):-23.1 -13.5 -15.2 N/A 12.4 7.9 6.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I think vdsl is managed differently to adsl in that the provider sees your router being turned off as a disconnection and possibly a problem, so there may be automated processes going on behind the scenes that cause the connection to be delayed when you turn it back on in the evening after work. You might even have your speed profile automatically downgraded because it thinks the line is not stable enough to support the higher speed.

you might call your provider and advise them that you need to turn off your router quite often and maybe they can tweak your connection to accommodate that. Should i ever have to plug out my Vodafone fibre router i get a connection again within a minute or so. But its never plugged out for more than 5 minutes at a time ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

But in this case the problem is not that I'm turning it off and on but that it's taking so long to connect when it wasn't a problem before.
    Is it a stretch to think that because you are continually turning the router off/on that your connection may be flagged as faulty and the equipment in the exchange is doing some extended line training to deal with this perceived fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hi,

Finally upgraded to eircom eFibre last month and everything was working grand. But over the past few days I've had trouble connecting. My PC connects to the router wirelessly but I don't have an internet connection. The red light stays on for internet. It just takes a long time to connect. Like today it took about 2 and a half hours.

Any ideas why this could be? I'd rather not keep it turned on all the time but if this keeps up, I may have to.

Did you report this to Eircom. It sounds unlikely to me that waiting for an internet connection for over two hours is anything to do with the router being switched off for a while.

But I did read that if you have the computer switched off as well the correct sequence is to switch on the router first. Wait for it to fully power up and connect and only then switch on the computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

the f1000 takes 6 minutes to connect from switch on to being able to browse net. any longer try resetting the modem

Advertisement