Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801)

Options
  • 22-11-2013 5:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and gals can someone please advise me if i can apply for the above visa online ?

Also im having trouble discerning whether i have to have a medical before or after i lodge the paperwork.

Background
    My partner is an Aussie citizen, im on a tourist visa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can only apply for this visa by paper at your nearest processing centre. (probably because you might be required for interviews)

You apply for PR (801) but they will normally grant you a temporary visa first (820), you can live and work as a temporary resident for 2 years and then progress to PR once you have been reassessed.

Re: Medicals and Police Certs I think are lodged at the start.

Also if your tourist visa hast a NFS 8503 you can't apply onshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Are you in Oz or outside at the moment?

You need to get the medical before as it all goes in with the paperwork. Handy hint, don't open the medical when you get it as that apparently invalidates it....

The forms you need are available online. You'll need to be able to prove you have a continuing relationship with your partner so proof you're living together, bills, joint account etc. If you live in Queensland you can register your relationship which is worthwhile (not sure if you can do this in other states).

Enjoy paying the fee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Im in WA at the moment
    You need to get the medical before as it all goes in with the paperwork.

Thats what i thought because is asked on form 47SP "Have you undertaken a health exam for an Australian visa in the last 12 months? if yes give details including HAP ID"

Now see this
    [/QUOTE]
    Health examinations in Australia

If you are applying for a visa while in Australia you must arrange your health examinations with Medibank Health Solutions (MHS).
    See: Medibank Health Solutions
    Where possible, use the online booking service to make your medical appointment with MHS.
    You can find information on the MHS website about:
    • the fees and charges associated with visa medical appointments
    • MHS locations in Australia
    • access to, and use of, interpreters during visa medical appointments.
    If you are booking an appointment with MHS, you must provide your HAP ID, HRI or TRN. This number will be:
    • shown on the health examinations referral letter that you can download when lodging an online visa application or using the My Health Declarations service
    • given to you by your case officer after you have lodged a paper visa application.
    Before you visit MHS for your appointment, you must complete your medical history online. MHS will take this information into account when conducting your medical examination.
    [/QUOTE]

This suggests that the medical is completed after the application is made if not how do i get my hands on the HAP ID ?
    Enjoy paying the fee!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I was told not to do a medical until I was instructed to. Because the medical is only good for 6 months, and the processing times might be longer.

Once I did the medical and sent it off to them my visa was granted straight away. Costs a few hundred quid AFAIR

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't know about MHS. I just called medibank and did it through them. In regards to validity for 6 months I was worried about same thing however out application was processed in a fortnight rather than the 'up to a year' stated all over forums. I think it helped being Irish/English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You don't need to do the medical. I'm on a bridging visa since January when I got married. I filled in the forms, brought the marriage cert, the cash...basically the bare minimum to the immigration office. All you need to do is lodge it and you go onto a bridging visa type A.

I'm working away and not had time to get everything else sorted (stat decs from us, 2 friends/family members, AFP check, UK police check (lived there for 15 months), Irish police check, medical etc...).

The bridging visa is a 3 month rolling visa. Only restrictions are you cna't leave the country or you lose your status to live, stay and work here. You need to apply for bridging visa B to leave the country. I need to get my a$$ in gear and get it all sorted.

So far I have not lodged any police checks or medicals after 10 months of submitting my application.

pete4130 wrote: »
    All you need to do is lodge it and you go onto a bridging visa type A.

Thats what the migration agent i spoke to said about the bridging visa. I rang immigration yesterday and they informed me that i wouldn't go onto a bridging visa until my current visa had expired (Jan 16th 2014).

Me and herself are living with her parents, would i be able to apply for working rights before the 16th based on a hardship criteria ?

ifeelill wrote: »
    Me and herself are living with her parents, would i be able to apply for working rights before the 16th based on a hardship criteria ?

I've just answered my own question for anyone in the same situation you need to fill out form 1005 (Link below)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1005.pdf

I went straight onto my bridging visa A as I submitted everything the day before my 2nd WHV ran out so there was no transition period for me.

I did have some issues with work on my bridging visa. I was subcontracting for one company and the client wouldn't allow me on site (meaning I couldn't start the job) as they require everyone to have a minimum of 6 months on their working visa. It took a while but they were convinced as long as my company guaranteed to check my visa status every 10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Also if your tourist visa hast a NFS 8503 you can't apply onshore.
    This is a very important part you might have missed OP.
    Handy hint, don't open the medical when you get it as that apparently invalidates it....

The medicals are done electronically now, there's no envelope to open.
    ifeelill wrote:
    This suggests that the medical is completed after the application is made if not how do i get my hands on the HAP ID ?
    You get a HAP ID by making a health declaration. Use

From here
    Can I complete my health examinations before lodging a visa application?
    You can only complete your health examinations before lodging your visa application in these locations if you:
    • hold a current valid passport
    • first use our My Health Declarations service to obtain a health identifying number (HAP ID).

• Advertisement

I checked my holiday visa the only conditions i can see on the grant notice are

8101 - NO WORK
    8201 - MAXIMUM 3 MONTHS STUDY

So, today I finally hear form immigration, 10 months to the day exactly that they are finally getting around to processing/making a decision on my application and I have 28 days to get all my documents/medicals/police checks in/respond with the documents and let them know what I don't have ready/available for them.
    If you want to PM me to see what they put on the checklist (which is specific for me but was very informative of what and where to get it all) I can forward you on the pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Has anyone applied online for the 801/820 Partner Visa recently? Would love to hear your experiences.

Regarding payment, am I right in saying they don't accept Visa-Debit as payment for online applications, only in person at the offices? $6800 is alot to put on a credit card (which I don't have here anyways).

I'm coming up to my 24 months since applying and going onto Bridging Visa A.

It took immigration 10/11 months before then even requested any information (banking details, phone records, medicals, police checks) from me and being unorganised I left it all to the last minute. You have 28 days to submit everything after the request is made. I had delays with my Irish police check and emailed and explained and and was allowed go beyond the 28 days. They are reasonable to deal with. You can of course get all your ducks in a row and get everything in asap before they request it. Once I put the documents it it was maybe 2 months later (14 months after my initial application) I was granted my 820 visa.

December 2014 I received an email saying I was approaching the 24 month time span and would have to provide more documentation for proof of continuing relationship etc for the past year. I actually tried to submit it all online today. You set up an "Immi account" and answer the questions, 20 in total. I got to Q13 where they asked it had been 24 months or more since my initial application and I said "No" as 1 Feb 2015 will be my 24 months. I wasn't able to proceed beyond this point in my online application until after Feb 1.
    I'm guessing I'll answer more questions, give my details, partners details all over again and upload my documents. Once thats done, its waiting to receive my 801 visa which is a given once the application is genuine.

It's been all straight forward and easy going. Just get your paperwork in order and its no hassle.

December 2014 I received an email saying I was approaching the 24 month time span and would have to provide more documentation for proof of continuing relationship etc for the past year. I actually tried to submit it all online today. You set up an "Immi account" and answer the questions, 20 in total. I got to Q13 where they asked it had been 24 months or more since my initial application and I said "No" as 1 Feb 2015 will be my 24 months. I wasn't able to proceed beyond this point in my online application until after Feb 1.
    I'm guessing I'll answer more questions, give my details, partners details all over again and upload my documents. Once thats done, its waiting to receive my 801 visa which is a given once the application is genuine.

It's been all straight forward and easy going. Just get your paperwork in order and its no hassle.

How long did it take for the DOI to process your PR application once you has submitted all the documents and online application ?

From the initial application and being on a bridging Visa, it was about 10-11 months to submit the paperwork to get onto the 820 visa (888 forms, stat decs, police checks etc) and you have 28 days to do this (Feb 2013 til Nov 2013). Submitted everything December 2013/Jan 2014.

820 got approved in April 2014. Waited about 15 months until August-ish 2015 and then resubmit paperwork again for 801 visa (new 888's, stat decs, police checks as its techinically new visa application). I was a bit late submitting as I was unaware of new 888's, stat decs etc so was allowed a bit more time.

Sept/October 2015 801 granted.

From the initial application and being on a bridging Visa, it was about 10-11 months to submit the paperwork to get onto the 820 visa (888 forms, stat decs, police checks etc) and you have 28 days to do this (Feb 2013 til Nov 2013). Submitted everything December 2013/Jan 2014.

820 got approved in April 2014. Waited about 15 months until August-ish 2015 and then resubmit paperwork again for 801 visa (new 888's, stat decs, police checks as its techinically new visa application). I was a bit late submitting as I was unaware of new 888's, stat decs etc so was allowed a bit more time.

Sept/October 2015 801 granted.

Thanks for the reply, I applied for the 801 on the 6th of Jan this year but still haven't heard anything from the DOI yet.

I'm really hanging out for this visa as I feel it is negatively affecting my career.

IF you are on Bridging Visa A, it shouldn't affect career opportunities that much. I did have some employers query it but got the job no problems.

If you are on the 820, its as good as being on the 801 really.

If you are on the 820, its as good as being on the 801 really.

Not anymore, a lot of jobs now (at least in WA) ask for PR as a minimum right to work. Also when looking for entry level professional roles most recruitment companies will tell me straight out that an employer won't take a chance, putting money, time and effort into training an employee who may not be around in six or twelve months time.

I sent out about 500 applications for entry level professional rolls when I got my BVA and didn't get a bean back.

I have my 820 at the moment and my application has been sent to the DOI for my 801 and I'm still getting the same story.

That's why I'm hanging out for my PR I think not having it is holding me back.

I've never had any issues on the 820 at all for jobs. It's as good as being PR essentially. I always just told anybody asking I had PR on the 820 and it was being finalised soon.

Sorry to hear it seems to be holding you back. If you put your 801 application through in January, it'll be around August/September you should hear back from immigration to finalise it. They simply send an email saying your 801 has been granted and thats it. If you need to submit any paperwork to finalise it then they contact you saying you have the 28 days to submit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement