Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one wifi

Options
  • 22-11-2013 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Basically my brother got his xbox one last night. The salesperson in gamestop said make sure to use a Ethernet cable when downloading the update to set it up. Issue is we live in the country can't get line broadband so only have a 3 small wifi rounder that works of a SIM card but doesn't take an Ethernet cable. My question is is it safe enough to download the update over wifi or is there risks ? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭davkel

The issue is that if it disconnects it will mess up the download, do you know how big the file is? can you download a similar size file on a PC where you can keep an eye on the download rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bpmull wrote: »
    Basically my brother got his xbox one last night. The salesperson in gamestop said make sure to use a Ethernet cable when downloading the update to set it up. Issue is we live in the country can't get line broadband so only have a 3 small wifi rounder that works of a SIM card but doesn't take an Ethernet cable. My question is is it safe enough to download the update over wifi or is there risks ? thanks.

There's no risk, salesperson is talking out their ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Open your front door and the first person you see will know more about the X1 than any gamestop employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Here in NZ (ie might have a different software image preloaded) the initial package was 500ishMB. DR3 needed 650MB and Forza 5 needed 6.5GB.. so I hope you have some mega cap on that 3G connection.

Cant see how it could be so poorly designed that it could get "messed up" if the DL was interrupted as it downloads then installs (ie the normal way everything works) not streams updated Dashboard content live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Thanks everyone for the advice. It was around 500mb and the 3 broadband downloaded it no problem. So it's working away now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement