Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with OCD

• 22-11-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have two dogs, one of which has always been difficult to handle and the other couldn't be easier! The one I am worried about is getting worse as he gets older, he's five now. I'm looking for help from experienced dog owners who believe in training with positive reinforcement.

Briefly his issues are his frustration - if we are going for a walk on the beach, as soon as we are getting close he is jumping around the car barking. I have tried the seat belt harness but he chewed through it and the seat belt. When we are on the beach he is obsessed with his tennis ball. If we don't bring a ball he will obsess over stones, barking and barking at a stone on the beach. Then he will run up and down and around in circles barking at nothing. At home or at friends house if he is let outside in the garden by himself he will run around at full speed doing a really high pitched bark like he is absolutely petrified. Another worrying aspect of his behaviour is that he has taken to growling at me. If I go to move him in the morning to go for a walk, he will start growling. He is warm and comfortable and doesn't want to get up. It's growling and not snarling but still worrying. The only other time he shows aggression is if he has a bone. Apart from these issues he is very affectionate, loves people (bit nervous but not aggressive with other dogs), easy enough to train to do tricks, gets on well with the other dog in the house, very healthy with no medical issues and I'm crazy about him. I love the dog to bits and only want him to be happy and well balanced. He gets a fair amount of excercise on the beach every day and is in and out of the sea after his tennis ball even in this weather. Both my dogs are bichons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd advise you to get a behaviorist out to the house to assess the situation and work out a plan for you. We had somebody out yesterday and it was fantastic!! I learnt loads in the 2 hours and have a plan to work on now for the next two weeks. If you post your location somebody will be able to recommend a behaviorist that covers your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd advise you to get a behaviorist out to the house to assess the situation and work out a plan for you. We had somebody out yesterday and it was fantastic!! I learnt loads in the 2 hours and have a plan to work on now for the next two weeks. If you post your location somebody will be able to recommend a behaviorist that covers your area.

I live near Lahinch in Co. Clare. If anyone knows anyone in Ennis or even Limerick I would be interested. I did have a behaviourist out to the house once but really apart from telling me that he was a nervous dog and I needed to be more alpha he didn't have much to say. I have read a lot more on the subject since then and don't agree with the whole alpha thing anyway. That was a waste of money but I don't mind paying if the person really knows what they are doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I live near Lahinch in Co. Clare. If anyone knows anyone in Ennis or even Limerick I would be interested. I did have a behaviourist out to the house once but really apart from telling me that he was a nervous dog and I needed to be more alpha he didn't have much to say. I have read a lot more on the subject since then and don't agree with the whole alpha thing anyway. That was a waste of money but I don't mind paying if the person really knows what they are doing.
    No; you had a moron at your house who was (and probably still is) clueless on dog behaviour. The fact said person mentioned alpha behaviour shows the extreme lack of knowledge and the levels of incompetence of said person (it's a theory that's been disproved for over 10 years now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

PM DBB on the board for a recommendation in your area although I suspect she'll be along shortly enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

As far as I know the best behaviorist to go to in Clare would be Bev Truss. I think she has set up a new daycare/ training facility in Shannon but I think she still does behaviour (at least I saw a card in the pet shop!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Toulouse wrote: »
    PM DBB on the board for a recommendation in your area although I suspect she'll be along shortly enough :)

Coooo-eeeee!
    Hi OP, I'd agree that your issues are a little too complex to be dealt with here. I'd also agree that the guy who you had visiting was talking out of his unqualified butt!
    There are a few of these self-titled people around Limerick and Clare, it's a bit of a black spot down there for some reason!
    Luckily, there is a first-rate, fully qualified behaviourist down your way who does one-to-one in your home, and also has just set up a new behavioural clinic and training centre in Shannon called EduPet.
    Her name is Bev Truss, and as she is qualified, she's fully on board with positive reinforcement, and appropriate ways to treat frustration and impulsivity in dogs.
    Hang on til I go and find her website address!

Edited to add: Here's her facebook page:
    https://m.facebook.com/EduPetCenter?id=347624058705145&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FEduPetCenter

And I see I was posting at the same time as Silly Mango!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Just in case anyone else is reading then I would always go here http://apdt.ie/ to find a qualified trainer or behaviourist in my area. There's just too many cowboys out there as the OP discovered!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

Thank you for your help, I will follow up on your suggestions and hopefully we will get some positive results!

Advertisement