Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Pre Season Workouts

• 22-11-2013 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭

GAA is over for the season and its time to get ready for next year.

Anyone have any advice on the best GAA related pre season workouts that could really help you improve speed/power/endurance?.

I'd be interested to see what type of work lads are doing to get ready for next year?.

I think it is still quite a vague area in terms of there doesn't seem to be any real direction from the GAA on what's best for the modern GAA athlete.

Cheers lads.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

murra wrote: »
    GAA is over for the season and its time to get ready for next year.

Anyone have any advice on the best GAA related pre season workouts that could really help you improve speed/power/endurance?.

I'd be interested to see what type of work lads are doing to get ready for next year?.

I think it is still quite a vague area in terms of there doesn't seem to be any real direction from the GAA on what's best for the modern GAA athlete.

Cheers lads.

For the off season you really want to be focusing on strength. Something like the starting strength program is good and it focuses on the main compound lifts. Once you've got a good base with the squat and deadlift bring the powerclean into your work. It's outstanding for power and speed.
    If you've not done any of these before it would be best to be shown how to do them correctly by a professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd add some plyometrics into your workout plan for the ooff-season. They'll really stand to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭murra

For the off season you really want to be focusing on strength. Something like the starting strength program is good and it focuses on the main compound lifts. Once you've got a good base with the squat and deadlift bring the powerclean into your work. It's outstanding for power and speed.
    If you've not done any of these before it would be best to be shown how to do them correctly by a professional.

What's the starting strength program? or do you just mean starting off to incorporate deads/squats etc. Have you any program's that worked for you?

My plan of action is to do a strength program all compound moves 2 maybe 3 times a week and then add in a metabolic weights circuit with that as well. Last thing I want to do is go back training in January having lost fitness built up over the year.

Thanks for reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

murra wrote: »
    What's the starting strength program? or do you just mean starting off to incorporate deads/squats etc. Have you any program's that worked for you?

My plan of action is to do a strength program all compound moves 2 maybe 3 times a week and then add in a metabolic weights circuit with that as well. Last thing I want to do is go back training in January having lost fitness built up over the year.

Thanks for reply :)

Its a program - http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Also often recommended is stronglifts
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ (its buried half way down the page)

Both are simple linear progression compound based programs. Cant go wrong with them really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

most GAA players could do with a lot of mobility work
    especially in hips and ankles.

also, most GAA skills are performed off one leg - kicking, jumping, sprinting so your lower body training should be aimed at that - split squats, lunges, single leg deadlifts, hurdle jumps, plyometric work to promote power and stabilising on landing
    also be sure to maintain an upper body pull/push balance. ie for every push exercise (eg bench) do 2 pulls - chin ups, rows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 HallE

Check out the Ireland Strength & conditioning coach on Facebook. He is always putting programmes up and runs some preseason courses I think.

Advertisement