Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase in first 12 months of fixed Term tenancy

Options
  • 22-11-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Good Morning.

I got a letter with notification about rent increase of 150 euro starting from 1st of January 2014
    I can't say I am surprised and was expecting it as the flat I am renting is fairly cheap for Dublin City, it's an old flat but well kept and quite frankly a steal. I would gladly sign another 12 month lease for it.

The thing is I am on a Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

I signed the lease in February 2013 and the lease expires on 31.January 2014. Therefore I was under the impression that the current rent can't increase until those 12 months are up and a rent increase is only possible from February 1st?

I did check my contract but can't find any clear indication about this. So I though maybe some of you might have a better understanding.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If youre lease is valid until Jan 31st then the rent increase wont be happening until Feb 1st at the earliest. Write to the landlord and remind them that rent increases can happen only once in a 12 month period, and not while a fixed term lease is still in effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Thanks Djimi,

That's what I thought too.

I am going to write to him anyway, see if he is likely to find a middle ground on that increase.

Advertisement