Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop licking

• 22-11-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi All
    I have little Bichon who is approx 2, he's a rescue which I have had for about a year and half now. When I first got him, he was very nippy and mouthed a lot. Over the last year we've managed to get him to stop the nipping which is great but instead now he licks. If you go to pet him his instant response is to lick your hand. I've been watching him closely and the lick is not to stop you petting him as if you stop petting he then paws you to keep going and again starts the licking.

He'll also do it when we are have a cuddle, if he can get to your hand and lick it he will. He does this with everyone he comes into contact with. Nothing I do seems to stop this..I wonder if anyone on here has any advice on how to deal with it.

Just to add, he does lick himself to clean etc. It's not compulsive licking on himself, but leave your hand out and he'll sit there for an hours licking it if you let him.

Any advise would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Can't really give you advice on how to make him stop but that sounds so cute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

One of mine is exactly the same, she loves to lick, she sometimes just licks the air! I just pull my hand away from stroking her for a second then go back to stroking her, if she licks, do it again, she's pretty smart so she knows if she licks I stop stroking, she doesn't lick me half as much now but I'm consistent with her, I can't bear being licked by dogs anyway. She also does the pushing her head at you if you stop stroking, I just fold my arms and if possible turn away from her or just turn your head away even, like I say she's smart so she gets it quickly.

However trying to train my husband and other visitors family/friends to do this is impossible, so she still licks them!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My fella is a rescue too and 2 years old. He has mouthed since I got him and licks to show submission, affection and to comfort himself it seems. I havent really dissuaded him from it because I didnt really see anything wrong with it. He has always tried to get ankles and forearms into his mouth as part of "play".

Is licking an issue in general? (Should I dissuade it) or is it that you dont like him licking you?
    I just keep a bottle of sanitiser on the sink shelf and some anti bacterial wash too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

DeVore wrote: »
    My fella is a rescue too and 2 years old. He has mouthed since I got him and licks to show submission, affection and to comfort himself it seems. I havent really dissuaded him from it because I didnt really see anything wrong with it. He has always tried to get ankles and forearms into his mouth as part of "play".

Is licking an issue in general? (Should I dissuade it) or is it that you dont like him licking you?
    I just keep a bottle of sanitiser on the sink shelf and some anti bacterial wash too.

For me it's not a major issue I just personally don't like being licked because I've seen the crap (literally) she'll lick off the floor on walks if she's able and, like most dogs, she licks her own bum hole. So I'd rather not partake.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I just watched a programme earlier today called My Pet Shame if you have sky living tv channel.
    It was a lovley staffie that licks hands excessively to anyone especially bare legs/knees.
    The trick was a foul tasting licky paper.
    Give to dog to lick at same time as she about to lick your hands it tricks her mind to think your hands taste nasty. Takes a lot of time to train and visitors/anyone must follow the training. so time and patience. it worked in the end except for two cheeky small licks on a guy knees when they gave her a test of three guys' bare legs to Not lick to pass - she passed! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement