Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lambs left

• 22-11-2013 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hows everyone doing with drafting the 2013 crop?

Heading to the mart with the last bunch of lambs for the year tomorrow.
    Will be lucky to get €90 for them by all accounts. They're about 46kg average.

In general my lambs were lighter this year for some reason and prices were pretty crap and stagnant for the past 3 months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Sold the last of mine as stores about 5 weeks ago. Good luck and good riddance. Nice bit of grass built up, you would really notice them gone. Let the next lad make a few euro out of them, if he can.
    One thing, in the middle of the hot spell, when grass slowed and got tough, it really hit growth rates for them few weeks, and took a while to get going again.
    The last lot sold averaged 37 kg, and sold for 79 Euro. No meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

have 40 left. sold 40 last Tuesday week 47kgs 99 euro. 38 a fortnight before 49kgs 101.50. last batch should be ready in another week hoping they will be 46 kgs. will probably go to factory with them. over the wholeyear I reckon I will get the lambs to average about 98 euros.lambs only born in march and getting no meal just on rape since 4 October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

DMAXMAN wrote: »
    have 40 left. sold 40 last Tuesday week 47kgs 99 euro. 38 a fortnight before 49kgs 101.50. last batch should be ready in another week hoping they will be 46 kgs. will probably go to factory with them. over the wholeyear I reckon I will get the lambs to average about 98 euros.lambs only born in march and getting no meal just on rape since 4 October.

Good prices at those weights compared to what I see at local marts in galway . What part of the country are you Dmax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

mine all gone here 3 weeks now, you wouldnt get the color of them prices in our local mart either. €7/8 less i would think. What mart did you get those prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

razor8 wrote: »
    mine all gone here 3 weeks now, you wouldnt get the color of them prices in our local mart either. €7/8 less i would think. What mart did you get those prices?

30 left to go here, will go next thurs, should average €94 overall if last ones make enough.
    €7 worth of meal each at the end, and I wouldn't like to think what amount of meal the ewes eat in the spring when the grass wouldn't grow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

only 4 left for freezer, about 53kgs

send rest to factory about 10 days ago, were on meal for circa 6 weeks

averaged a little over €96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

rancher wrote: »
    30 left to go here, will go next thurs, should average €94 overall if last ones make enough.
    €7 worth of meal each at the end, and I wouldn't like to think what amount of meal the ewes eat in the spring when the grass wouldn't grow

Have 10 left to go. Will weigh them in the morning. 7 look good 3 look a bit light. Want to wait til the 10 are fit to go if they are not too far off. Couldn't be arsed feeding 3 with meal for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

6 small things left . Might run them with ewe lamb replacements and have them for the freezer next summer. Or ill pop to a local mart and get rid. No problem either way. Sold last of lambs to factory last week .e 81 happy enough they were not the biggest but killed out good.

Did well in mart today . Ewe lambs 45kg €96. Wethers 47kg €92
    Worth splitting out the ewes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

not bad at all, always nice to get more than you were hoping for, where was that?

• Advertisement

They were good prices. Was there many lambs on offer or was it quiet enough.

sea12 wrote: »
    They were good prices. Was there many lambs on offer or was it quiet enough.

Very small mart and most lambs very light - 39kg €83 the norm

Have 10 left to go. Will weigh them in the morning. 7 look good 3 look a bit light. Want to wait til the 10 are fit to go if they are not too far off. Couldn't be arsed feeding 3 with meal for the winter.

Did weight them. 1 50 kg, 1 48, 1 46. The rest all between 41 and 43.
    Feck it I thought the rest would have been fit to go. Have been on 0.5kg meal for over a month. If I wait for the rest to catch up the top 3 will be over weight and just giving the factories free meat!

Feck it I thought the rest would have been fit to go. Have been on 0.5kg meal for over a month. If I wait for the rest to catch up the top 3 will be over weight and just giving the factories free meat!

Sure the 41 kg should kill out 17kg let them off,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi sea,

I am in the same boat. Have some lambs close to 50kg, and some closer to 40kg. Some will be going next week, but I'll still have a bit of a mix left. My plan is to sell as many as I can the week before Christmas.

Could you do the same - continue to feed em for 2-3 weeks, and sell em the week before christmas?
    You will be giving the factories a bit of free meat on the 3 lambs, but you should be adding meat to the 7 lambs, so you should still be better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

For anyone with lambs fit around Christmas some of the factories kill for a day between Christmas and New Year and usually give a bit extra to secure lambs.

Good prices at those weights compared to what I see at local marts in galway . What part of the country are you Dmax
    sold them lambs in tullow in Carlow.they were very good lambs if I say so myself off rape(rocket fuel for lambs)

Hi sea,

I am in the same boat. Have some lambs close to 50kg, and some closer to 40kg. Some will be going next week, but I'll still have a bit of a mix left. My plan is to sell as many as I can the week before Christmas.

Could you do the same - continue to feed em for 2-3 weeks, and sell em the week before christmas?
    You will be giving the factories a bit of free meat on the 3 lambs, but you should be adding meat to the 7 lambs, so you should still be better off.

Yep that will be my plan. Might even leave them between Xmas when I'm off work.

Only 7 left now, was in the factory today with 33. averaged 45 kilos live and killed out 23.1 kilos. very happy came into 103.50 take home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Only 7 left now, was in the factory today with 33. averaged 45 kilos live and killed out 23.1 kilos. very happy came into 103.50 take home

That's a very good kill out, to get 23kg from 45kg.

I sent some off last week, they were about 48kg average live weight, and they all killed out about 22kg.
    They were on ration for a small while, about 3 - 4 weeks.

• Advertisement

great killout dmax... bet they were ewes.

Its great to get over the €100 for your lambs

That's a very good kill out. Did u get paid up to the 23kg.

What did u finish them on.

Over 51% killout thats unreal. Is them scales accurate. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I put my lambs in three weeks ago with a creep feeder, just bedded with straw and fed meal,
    Last weeks lambs weighed 43kg live, 21.5 dead made €99 home
    When they were eating ad lib meal on the grass, they were killing out 46%.
    DMs rape must really be rocket fuel alright.

That's a very good kill out. Did u get paid up to the 23kg.

What did u finish them on.
    yes paid up to 23 kilos.finished on rape

yes paid up to 23 kilos.finished on rape

Got a quote go 4.80 for tomorrow. Any one get any different over the Xmas?

Got a quote go 4.80 for tomorrow. Any one get any different over the Xmas?

|HAVE A QUOTE OF 4.85 up to 23kilos. can only get 2.20 for ewes though

• Advertisement

|HAVE A QUOTE OF 4.85 up to 23kilos. can only get 2.20 for ewes though

I should have added it was only up to 22.5. There is an extra 5 cent for QA stock which I don't qualify for yet.

Advertisement