Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conifer disposal

• 22-11-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi All,
    So I pulled down a medium sized conifer in my garden last weekend and now I need some advice on how to dispose of it, as well as how to get the stump out. It was about two stories high but quite a skinny, sad looking tree and is currently a number of trunks/storks (less than 10 I think).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

New_Girl wrote: »
    Hi All,
    So I pulled down a medium sized conifer in my garden last weekend and now I need some advice on how to dispose of it, as well as how to get the stump out. It was about two stories high but quite a skinny, sad looking tree and is currently a number of trunks/storks (less than 10 I think).

Thanks

Cut up the bark/trunk for firewood (you'll need somewhere to let it dry) & composte the green material.

The stump could be tricky if you can't get a car & rope or a mini excavator at it, it'll probably could be a job for picks, shovels, axes, ropes & elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 New_Girl

Thanks Antoobrien

I don't really have the space to store the trunk as firewood, any other suggestions?

I don't have the access for car + rope and I don't think I'd get a mini excavator in unfortunately so looks like a lot of elbow grease is ahead of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Conifers are generally fairly shallow rooted. If you can anchor a winch to something solid in a handy place you can pull it out. If you don't know anybody to take thwe wood, FreeCycle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can remove a stump by renting a power stump grinder, but another way is to buy a can of stump remover (available at most garden or home centers). Most brands are made of powdered potassium nitrate, which speeds up the rotting process.
    You simply pour the granules into drilled holes and fill the holes with water. The stump will become pretty spongy after four to six weeks. Keep kids and pets away. Then you can break out the rotten wood with an ax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

[quote="antoobrien;87634

The stump could be tricky if you can't get a car & rope or a mini excavator at it, it'll probably could be a job for picks, shovels, axes, ropes & elbow grease.[/quote]

This baby works for me!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

New_Girl wrote: »
    I don't really have the space to store the trunk as firewood, any other suggestions?

If you have an organics bin it can probably go in that, but that'd be a bit of a waste of the wood.

Can't really give any other suggestions, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Put ads on adverts and donedeal, someone will be along with a trailer to take it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Go to www. jumbletown.ie and you can get rid for free. Someone will be glad to pick up some free fire wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

B

Advertisement