Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first impression of xbox one

Options
  • 22-11-2013 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

well after the update, which was to be expected, im having great fun, kinect voice commands working ok, machine itself is silent when running, 360 was loud in comparison, controller is so far going well, easy change over.
    i wasn't sure if it was a wise purchase at 500 but i'm happy happy happy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

New dashboard is a mess and the text on redeeming bonus codes doesnt match the regigged dashboard layout which is clumsy mistake. Basically the Store is arranged differently than written on the bonus cards. Also seems no way to switch the Store view from Movies to Games from within either Store, you have to exit it, fumble around the menu, enter the (presumably same) Store from the Games section to see diff content. However the way the marketing is positioning the Store and console is as an integrated one stop shop, when the actual software design is of splintered and silo'ed content.

Also a 6.4GB patch for Forza was kinda taking the piss.

Cannot change the Avatar from the old small 360 type to the giant One type, error "Something disastrous happened, come back later".

Frequent soft crashes / lockups using the TV Setup box integration.

Spent so much time dicking around with updates and menu problems that I didnt even play any games on it yet...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

kinect scanning the codes is nice and easy, just scanned forza to start the download

• Registered Users Posts: 5 elDonio

Picked up my Xbox one, can't seem to get the voice commands working though, wat did you do to get them to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

elDonio wrote: »
    Picked up my Xbox one, can't seem to get the voice commands working though, wat did you do to get them to work?

VUI for ireland isn't enabled yet, change your region to the UK and you can use voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

elDonio wrote: »

Change your region to UK. I believe they will be patching it soon to work with Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

pretty cool, the menus are not the easiest to get around although im coming from ps3, didnt have a 360.. the games look great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lee1234

Any body else's delivery date say Monday 25th? This is bull I paid for a day one release delivery and now looks like it won't arrive till Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Mine came with a broken brick. Won't power on. Brothers one works fine, and his brick will power on mine. Disappointed but the console itself looks amazing. Very happy apart from the brick. Onto Microsoft support now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I like it, games can be slow to download, but overall the console runs greats. Very cool too, very little heat coming from it after long use.

I also like the controller. The Thumbsticks can be annoying though for games like Fifa 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I like it, games can be slow to download, but overall the console runs greats. Very cool too, very little heat coming from it after long use.

I also like the controller. The Thumbsticks can be annoying though for games like Fifa 14.

We've pulled 40 gig games down in 1.5 hours, the MS servers seem fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just got it now. The console is huge like an old VCR from the early '90s and so is Kinect 2 from what I was expecting. Controller wise, it's a tad too small for my liking, sticks are too light and the buttons feel cheap when pressed, the triggers and d pad are very nice though. Overall I like the 360 pad better. I have no room to use Kinect as my TV is wall mounted with nothing underneath and seeing as it's an LED TV that's 15mm think at the bezel the sensor will not sit on top of it securely so basically can't use it as there is only 2ft between the TV and end of the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I'm slightly underwhelmed TBH, I thought Forza and BF4 would blow me away but they havn't :(

X1:

-
    Install times are crazy long and I had 500mb update, 6GB forza patch and 1.1GB BF4 patch, thats mental!

Settings menu on X1 is a mess, they could have easily put all the options in one tab but instead split them up with a couple of choices in each.

Most things are surprisingly slow, I expected instant menu moves but most have their own loading screen!

Friend feed is a mess, I havn't looked to see if I can turn it off or at least limit all the crap it tells me.

Headtracking doesn't seem to work properly for me in Forza or BF4, had to turn it off.

Games don't keep loading when you press home, so you can't check something while the next track loads in the background.

Bumpers are not very useful, you could roll off the triggers to bumpers on the 360 to throw a quick frag etc but on the X1 they are more seperate.

Audio output is dodgey, TV passthrough kept dropping out but optical out seems fine.

Bluray movie playback is poor quality, my PS3 does it noticeably better.

+
    Games are very pretty.

Internet explorer works well.

Controller is nice and light, sticks and triggers are good.

Disc drive works very well and ejected discs are easy to grab.

Forza:

Forza car interiors arn't as pretty as exterior which annoying for people who like racing incar like me.

Forza seems to have moved back to 4wd bias, I had awful trouble keeping a GT86 pointed in the right direction but could drive a 22B flatout everywhere.

Massive sunshine glare seems to have been shoehorned into as many tracks as possible, gets tiresome.

Drivatar is very good, makes the races far more interesting although they do seem to give up once you pass them out just like in Forza 4.

BF4:
    Only played an hour or so:

Graphics are very nice especially debris, dust etc but probably too much foliage for the campers.

Legacy vehicle controls are a pain with the bumpers being harder to use and flares & optics being moved to Dpad making them useless in the heat of battle.

General mechanics of the game are good though and I had alot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hello5

Does anyone know where I can still get one of thease??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

ive been playing fifa 14 and cod ghosts on ps3 for a few weeks now but playing them on the xbox one is like playing different games! the graphics and controller make them much better to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

All them mentions of large updates and patches... sounds like a h00t if you're on mobile broadband, like me, with a measly 20GB cap...!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kingofthekop

Gestures and voice commands won't work on mine. The white light next to the lens only comes on when I go into the kinect settings. Anyone else have This issue?

Forza seems to have moved back to 4wd bias, I had awful trouble keeping a GT86 pointed in the right direction but could drive a 22B flatout everywhere.

Sounds realistic so.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Sounds realistic so.:D

I was just about to say it, sounds exactly right! I had a GT86 for a while last year and when, ahem, pushing on, you were constantly trying to keep it pointing the right way. Good fun mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Forza car interiors arn't as pretty as exterior which annoying for people who like racing incar like me.

Massive sunshine glare seems to have been shoehorned into as many tracks as possible, gets tiresome.

Drivatar is very good, makes the races far more interesting although they do seem to give up once you pass them out just like in Forza 4.

This is my first time playing Forza. I agree the cars look much better on the outside than on the inside. So far I only have a BMW 1M, and RS4 and an Atom, the RS4 being the one Ihave driven the most and so far is realistic enough, both the outside and the inside with some minor defects like the steering wheel and the dashboard, the car behavior seems fine, braking feel a bit arcadeish but it is hard to say, so far I am liking it. I dont know how tail happy the gT86 is but try the V8 atom.. that's so much fun!

So far I am really enjoying my new XBOX, I have had no issues with it whatsoever. A few problems hooking up Magnet's PVR to the XBOX to watch TV which I will investigate some other time, voice commands work ok considering it is on a very early stage, shame you have to change the location to UK to make it work, this is affecting the app store as it is, in some cases, detecting I am in Ireland but that I have selected UK as my country but so far no biggie, dont know if this is going to create issues in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BeerWolf wrote: »
    All them mentions of large updates and patches... sounds like a h00t if you're on mobile broadband, like me, with a measly 20GB cap...!

Seriously you can't be a gamer on any platform in this day and age with broadband like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I was just about to say it, sounds exactly right! I had a GT86 for a while last year and when, ahem, pushing on, you were constantly trying to keep it pointing the right way. Good fun mind :)
    :D
    Its very throttle sensitive though, anything over 75% when not in a straight line sends her right out onto the lockstops, took me ages to get used to it compared to how much fun it was in Forza 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

MadYaker wrote: »
    Seriously you can't be a gamer on any platform in this day and age with broadband like that.

That's a bit harsh, I know people with dongles that have better speed than mine.
    Back to topic, the hard drive won't be long filling up with the size of the installs on the games, I thought 500gb was loads, how wrong I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

No complaints Yet
    have only Played forza..had planned on playing all the games but well..Yeah...6 hours later and i was still on Forza

Didnt think they had s15s but low and behold they do :D Built one the same as my own

Love ti so far,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mcgman2006

How did you get this resolved , mine also came with a duff brick , no lights on when plugged in, contacted customer service team and couldn't be more dissapointed , getting a call back on Monday, still don't know what they are going to do about it!!
    Ordered a "DAY ONE" xbox and won't be able to play at least until "DAY SEVEN" and that's me hoping

VivGrise wrote: »
    Mine came with a broken brick. Won't power on. Brothers one works fine, and his brick will power on mine. Disappointed but the console itself looks amazing. Very happy apart from the brick. Onto Microsoft support now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

So far I'm loving it. I don't think watching all the videos that they have over sold it. Stupid that Ireland can't use voice commands. But when using uk setting. They work very well. Far better then I expected.

There is a learning curve. I suggest people use the help menu to familiarise with it. It's explains how to use snap, voice and gesture commands and is very helpful.

I find the menus in general easier to use. It's not as bloated as the 360. There sill is far to many sub menus. These will probably become more helpful when the stores are more populated.

I'd suggest when your in other regions using kinetic to grab there apps. As this could stop any time. But probably only 4OD will work in Ireland. The YouTube app does not as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Very impressed, I took a good bit of time just getting familiar with the UI and the voice commands. Learning the voice commands really helps with moving quickly from A-B.
    I have only played BF4 so far, the graphics are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭husky7

Well impressed with the UI , console itself is silent compared to my 360 which sounded like a plane , the only problem was I received a broken controller LB button not working.
    the repair centre are replacing it but I have to ship it to the Czech republic myself costing €10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's the first console I ever bought that non gaming friends and family are impressed by, not for the games, but for the ui. The rapid switching between games, tv, Netflix etc is blowing people away. I have a freesat box so the tv only works on passthrough (no guide) it would have been nice if there was a simple channel up / channel down command.

Downsides - the software is buggy,battlefield keeps crashing for me. Also, the friends list and the way achivements are handled are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

What are people's impression of Blu-ray playback. Is it really poorer than the PS3 as someone in this thread has already reported?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

3rdDegree wrote: »
    What are people's impression of Blu-ray playback. Is it really poorer than the PS3 as someone in this thread has already reported?

Personally I think the quality is top notch in terms of picture and sound quality. I also have a ps3 and would not say it is better, in fact I prefer using the xbox one and it has the added bonus that I could program my logitech remote to work with it as the kinnect has IR.

Advertisement