Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first impression of xbox one

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

3rdDegree wrote: »
    What are people's impression of Blu-ray playback. Is it really poorer than the PS3 as someone in this thread has already reported?

I downloaded the app yesterday night and watched a movie myself and like ronan has said didnt notice any difference whatsoever with the PS3, in fact, refresh rate was better, it was a bit slow to load but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can turn on or off the 24hz refresh rate for blurays with the X1 like the PS3. That could be the difference people are noticing, on the PS3 it's on by default and off on the X1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BeerWolf wrote: »
    All them mentions of large updates and patches... sounds like a h00t if you're on mobile broadband, like me, with a measly 20GB cap...!

Don't forget how internet dependant the xbone originally was before microsoft changed their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

OK, after the weekend here are my first impressions:

Console/UI - I think I love it. Dashboard took a little while to get used to but once you're familiar I think it just works great. Seamless switching between apps and games. I do kind of miss having more options on the guide button, but I think I can get over that. Not one crash or problem so far.
    Kinect - Have only really used it for voice commands, and I think it works great. Have only had to repeat myself a couple of times and that was before I realized I was saying the wrong thing.
    Controller - Brilliant. I can see why some people were complaining about the bumpers, they felt a little stiff and off to me at first but now I've adjusted I think they are great. Thumbsticks greatly improved.

FIFA - I haven't played since Fifa 11, and think this year's game is much improved. Graphically it is very nice, especially in replays where it sometimes almost looks like the real thing. Was playing in be a pro mode and things weren't going my way, swearing like a trooper throughout the match, and after the game get a message from my chairman saying I need to cut out the abusive language on the pitch :pac:

Forza - Beautiful game, just looks great. I think they've got the feel/simulation angle of it perfect too and it's a great racing sim. Last Forza I played was 2, and my memory of it was it was just a little too much of a simulation and not fun - I wasn't expecting Forza 5 to have arcadey types race like overtake challenge, cone weaves etc and been really enjoying the game so far.

COD - Single player is one of the most ridiculous things I've played. Not sure why I'm surprised. Online play is smooth and slick, haven't experienced and connection/lag issues. Graphically it doesn't appear much of an improvement over the 360.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I was always going to get one of the consoles at launch even though neither had great games for the launch period (IMO) but Forza and Titanfall, and my love for the 360, were enough to sway me over to Xbone. I'm glad they did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Another post weekend review here...

Collected it Friday but didn't get a chance to set it up until Saturday evening (perfect excuse to re-do all the wiring at the back of the TV). I got the console with FIFA14, Forza LCE and Battlefield 4 along with a play and charge kit. After reading the horror stories about the console bricking, power supplies not working, broken controllers and dodgy HDMI ports, I was pleasantly surprised when it turned on and you know, worked.

With setup completed, I started with redeeming my FIFA14 code through Kinect. I was honestly surprised that this particular feature worked so well, no faffing about, it just worked. Install was pretty quick with FIFA (UPC 60MB) and was able to start playing it after 25%. By the time I played a couple of token exhibition matches, it was fully installed and ready to roll. Being a Liverpool supporter, playing at Anfield was one of those 'hairs standing on neck' experiences. Player likenesses are incredible and their movement is really impressive. Also, liked that the commentators mentioned that I was lucky not to be sent to the stand for an outburst towards the referee.

Next up was Forza, and with all the LCE codes redeemed too this took a while longer to setup. This was probably the game I was most excited about and happy to say it lives up to most of the expectations. I for one certainly don't miss the 500 odd cars, 200+ is easily more than enough as there's something in there for everyone. The track count is disappointing though and it does suffer for it as you're constantly bouncing between the same circuits. Only other gripe is removing the ability to drive any car in Free Play (which I believe is the same online). What's the point of putting an F1 car in there, if you can't drive it? I know I won't have the time to build up 6,000,000 credits to buy one in game and I certainly won't be paying for it in tokens / real money either. Strange decision.

Battlefield was was last and again, quick install with single player ready to roll pretty quickly. It looks absolutely beautiful. Only played the first mission in SP but the chaos is evident quite quickly, looking forward to getting repeatedly annihilated online.

The console itself is great. The size is fine, it's bland enough looking but who looks at the console when playing anyway. I like the dimmed 'X' when its on and the Kinect features work really well too. Also, installed SmartGlass on my phone which only furthers the experience. I'm looking forward to them adding more applications and functionality to the Irish market, things are only going to get better.

Delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I have a pathetically slow internet speed so Forza which I started downloading on Friday morning at 10 reached 100% YESTERDAY evening.:eek:
    I paused it for a while alright to download various patches updates etc. but still it means disc games for a while yet.
    I,m liking the console itself and the voice commands and Kinect are pretty good. A massive improvement over the 360.
    My overall impression is that while its not perfect there is huge potential waiting to be unleashed. Cant wait to see where the games,apps and UI go in the next few months and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

On the eve of the PS4 launch, everyone still happy with their choice? Some of you have had the console for over a week. All still going well? Anything else to report? I have been Xbox since day one, never owned a PS3 but I am starting to have doubts about the X1 now. The more I read, the more I wonder. The X1 seems to be way behind at the moment on ALL head to head games.

I plan to get my X1 after Christmas, tell me I am still right to go for the X1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

logik wrote: »
    On the eve of the PS4 launch, everyone still happy with their choice? Some of you have had the console for over a week. All still going well? Anything else to report? I have been Xbox since day one, never owned a PS3 but I am starting to have doubts about the X1 now. The more I read, the more I wonder. The X1 seems to be way behind at the moment on ALL head to head games.

I plan to get my X1 after Christmas, tell me I am still right to go for the X1!!!

I don't think it maters which one you get. The only thing that you should think about is the exclusives for each and the price. Everything else that people are arguing about is just fanboy semantics imo.

I am not sure what you mean by the xbox one being behind. So far I am loving the XBOX one, its a vast improvement vs my XBOX 360 and my PS3.

In regards comparing it to the PS4 well we will see, time will tell, gamewise XBOX users are nowhere in disadvantage, for example, I have seen graphic comparisons and there is barely any difference, is more up to the developers, in fact, games like BF and CoD have more level of details on the XBOX but it is really not noticable. I also believe games like BF will release their DLC 2 weeks in advance compared to other consoles.

I think this is what is going to determine who is the "winner" (if there is such thing). I will be getting both. If I am honest I was going to go for the PS4 initially and then get the XBOX but couldnt find one so I went for the XBOX instead and I havent regret it so far.

Another reason is the controller is excellent, the gui is great too and everything seems to be running smoothly, cool and silent. And things will only get better.

Another good reason to get it is TitanFall, personally I cant wait for that game! Also, in the case of BF I believe they release their DLC 2 weeks before everyone else, I wonder is this will happen also with other games...

Your choice! Both are great consoles, it is just a personal choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

yeah, its a great console and this is coming for a sony fanboy, had a ps3 last gen no 360. Forza is probably my favourite racing game ever! Kinnect is cool too!

• Advertisement

I just feel that this gen the Xbox is not off to a great start. The differences that I am seeing are noticable and there is no escaping the fact that the PS4 is a good margin ahead of the Xbox in relation to specs. I play a good amount of single player games but I play more multiplayer games and when I see the PS4 shifting more units in North America than the Xbox, alarms bells are going off in my head. It may make finding online games harder in Europe than the PS4 etc.

While I have no doubt the X1 is a great console, albeit rushed, I cant get my head around the ESRAM. It was a shocking decision. And yes, the X1 will get better as time goes on, but so will the PS4.

For example, i have played BF since the first games on the PC. When I see BF4 getting 900p on PS4 and better draw distance and framerates even at the higher resolution I start to wonder just how hampered the X1 is. I watched a video in the below link (which is a good read) and on one occasion there is an explosion. The PS4 at 900p drops to 48fps and the same explosion on the X1 at 720p drops to 36fps? That is worrying.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-face-off

The framebuffer on the X1 is not large enough and I just wonder is it a sign of things to come. I really love my 360, and have every intention of getting an X1.

I am stuck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just a reminder, this thread is for first impressions of the Xbox One, not for comparisons against the PS4. There's a thread in the main Games forum for exactly that, here.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Just a reminder, this thread is for first impressions of the Xbox One, not for comparisons against the PS4. There's a thread in the main Games forum for exactly that, here.

Yeah, sorry...good point. Please remove if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

After a few days with it I'm happy but for 2 things, they need to make party chat the same as it was on 360 it was far better. 2 they need to bring back the functionality of pressing the guide button on 360 , where you had access to messages achievements and party features, it was much quicker and more intuitive than what is there now. I also used it to chat the time and my battery level.

Also the quality of the new headsets is comparable to getting a set of headphones in the €1 shop :pac: Spoke to a pal last night I hadn't spoke to in a while, and that was on 360 we arranged a dead rising 3 session later that evening and when we figured out the party chat the 1st thing I said was dude you sound way more masculine than normal :D Thats 3 things isn't :pac:

calex71 wrote: »
    After a few days with it I'm happy but for 2 things, they need to make party chat the same as it was on 360 it was far better. 2 they need to bring back the functionality of pressing the guide button on 360 , where you had access to messages achievements and party features, it was much quicker and more intuitive than what is there now. I also used it to chat the time and my battery level.

Also the quality of the new headsets is comparable to getting a set of headphones in the €1 shop :pac: Spoke to a pal last night I hadn't spoke to in a while, and that was on 360 we arranged a dead rising 3 session later that evening and when we figured out the party chat the 1st thing I said was dude you sound way more masculine than normal :D Thats 3 things isn't :pac:

Am I right in saying that when you tap the X button it no longer shows how much battery is left in the controller so you have no idea when to charge it?

Am I right in saying that when you tap the X button it no longer shows how much battery is left in the controller so you have no idea when to charge it?

Wasn't able to see it anywhere, and don;t think it has been implemented.

That said maybe if i play long enough i might get some kind of alert about it, can anyone confirm???? :confused:

Yes, I havent been able to find it either, not sure if they will add this in the future. Worst thing is that when the battery dies it dies, I dont think it flashes nor anything like that to warn you, maybe it does and I didnt notice?

Wouldnt worry me much though, my batteries lasted from Friday to Monday evening and used it an average of 8 hours a day... maybe more? thats around 40 h, not too bad. I am getting 2 batteries and a charger for 20 euro from amazon, should arrive today or monday the latest.

Bohrio wrote: »
    Yes, I havent been able to find it either, not sure if they will add this in the future. Worst thing is that when the battery dies it dies, I dont think it flashes nor anything like that to warn you, maybe it does and I didnt notice?

Wouldnt worry me much though, my batteries lasted from Friday to Monday evening and used it an average of 8 hours a day... maybe more? thats around 40 h, not too bad. I am getting 2 batteries and a charger for 20 euro from amazon, should arrive today or monday the latest.

Yeah, on average batteries are lasting 40+ hours which is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Bohrio wrote: »

fc,550x550,black.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

calex71 wrote: »
    they need to bring back the functionality of pressing the guide button on 360 , where you had access to messages achievements and party features, it was much quicker and more intuitive than what is there now.:

I thought that at first, but then discovered:
    "Xbox, go to achievements"
    "Xbox, go to messages"

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I thought that at first, but then discovered:
    "Xbox, go to achievements"
    "Xbox, go to messages"

:)
    I check my messages on the smartglass app on my phone, its as fast has getting a text and you can quickly reply.

I check my messages on the smartglass app on my phone, its as fast has getting a text and you can quickly reply.

I have it on my computer, which is right beside my One so it's much quicker to type replies than on the pad.

On the subject of smartglass, does it display movie info if you have a blue ray/dvd in? Or is it just for content from the store???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Myrddin wrote: »
    Given that it's the season of goodwill, peace and understanding (and a whole heap of great games to come), very classy of Microsoft again, eh?
    https://m.facebook.com/xboxie?id=116619509131&_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=10151881922724132&id=116619509131&set=pb.116619509131.-2207520000.1385735967

Although, I remember when they used to send a cake to Mozilla every time they shipped a new version of Firefox. :-)

Advertisement