Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<SNIP> Oil

Options
  • 22-11-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Has anybody else had delivery issues with <SNIP> Oil - got a delivery of 1000 litres in September that has completely ran out in 2 months. I suspect I didnt get 1000 litres delivered. Anybody any issues with this company? In the process of getting legal advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

How do you know that your oil wasn't stolen? I would be careful of accusing a reputable company of fraud without proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have used them for decades - before they were known as <SNIP>. Never had a problem. Delivered promptly, very polite and efficient to deal with. When I get 1000 litre I knew it's correct because the tank is full. I would be very careful about accusations like this as it's much more likely to be that oil was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did you get the docket stamped by the counter on the truck ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Company name snipped, as legal advice is being sought on this issue.

dudara

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Faulty boiler
    oil leak
    oil could have been stolen
    using the heating more

Just because 1,000 euro might have lasted you ages maybe last year or the year before does not mean 1,000 euro will last the same this year. Remember oil price changes so you very well may have got alot less oil this year. how many liters did you actually order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

How difficult is it for people to read a post?

The OP clearly stated 1,000 litres.

As a moderator, I would have believed that you would have read the post carefully, but especially when your posting was suggesting possible changes in quantities obtained for a €1,000 delivery at different times of the year.
    This may be a reason( highly unlikely as variations are not so large to account for a loss as in OP) if the posting was monetary value, it wasn't, it was quantity based- litres of oil.

Does everybody not dip their tanks anyway? To run out in what the OP thinks is a very short period he would have had to have been significantly undersupplied - which I truly do not believe this particular company would do. Such an undersupply would be very noticible in the tank.
    I still think it's a theft, boiler, or leakage problem though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

If your delivery docket has a mechanical print out of litres delivered you won't have any case, I would guess.

The same thing happened to me some years ago, ie. the oil was stolen or used very quickly.

I didn't suspect the oil company at all TBH, as the delivery recording equipment used is quite accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If your tank is accessible and does not have a lock, then the chances are that the oil was stolen.

Do you really think a company would short change you by 400 / 500 litres and think you wouldn't notice??? - even the most unscrupulous person is not that stupid.

Fuel theft is a huge problem. Get a tank lock and check local Gardai to see if there were other cases locally - unfortunately nothing can be done as the thieves will normally leave enough oil so that its 2 or 3 weeks before you notice.

Other causes is non serviced boiler (up to 30% loss of heat) temp guage too high (leave at 68) and timer out if sinc.

A lock is not much use, they're now just puncturing the tanks and pumping the oil out I'm afraid.

Steel or block enclosure may help......

Or have the tank moved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

A lock is not much use, they're now just puncturing the tanks and pumping the oil out I'm afraid.

Steel or block enclosure may help......

Or have the tank moved.

Most oil thefts are straightforward into the opening and pump tge oil out. They purposely leave a couple of weeks oil in the tank so that you don't have a clue to the day it happened.

With so many unlocked tanks about, most thieves will simply move on to the easier theft option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

When was the boiler last serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

We've had the mildest Autumn in years. There is no way the OP could have used 1000ltrs. It must have disappeared some other way...........

We've had the mildest Autumn in years. There is no way the OP could have used 1000ltrs. It must have disappeared some other way...........

I believe that is the whole problem. As suggested, it was either stolen of he has serious issues with the boiler/burner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

doublej wrote: »
    As a moderator....

I don't moderate this forum, as such I'm the same as any other user on this forum. So your point is nonsense I'm afraid.

Don't know about anyone else but I always dip my tank after a fill of oil, its good practice to have an idea of how full it is in comparison to future dips. My guess is op has had oil stolen

Caball, first and foremost, my observation regarding your post was sent in the belief that you, as a moderator( whether as the moderator of this forum or elsewhere) would have at least taken the time to read and understand the OP, specifically the stated fact that they had purchased a specific quantity rather than value.
    Your response to the posting was entirely based upon the incorrect and totally erroneous assumption that the purchase was of a €1,000 value rather than the 1,000 litres that has unfortunately disappeared.
    Your suggestion that dipping rods be used is perfect as an assistance to others and would have been a reasonable addition to the thread IF IT HAD been written as your first response;as it stands, it reads as an apologia for your initial incorrect post, ( without an apology of course!).
    The truncating of my response to you is an unusual attempt to deflect the substance of my observation, i.e., that you should have, as a moderator, employed a higher level of diligence and attentiveness to a posting prior to answering.
    Perhaps Boards.ie should consider granting different status terms to contributors when those contributors are posting on Forums other than those for which they have been granted an elevated status.
    The term "nonsense" may be considered mild but I take exception to it being applied to me or my reasoning in the circumstances as outlined above, an apology would be accepted, even at this late stage.

doublej wrote: »
    Caball, first and foremost, my observation regarding your post was sent in the belief that you, as a moderator( whether as the moderator of this forum or elsewhere) would have at least taken the time to read and understand the OP, specifically the stated fact that they had purchased a specific quantity rather than value.
    Your response to the posting was entirely based upon the incorrect and totally erroneous assumption that the purchase was of a €1,000 value rather than the 1,000 litres that has unfortunately disappeared.
    Your suggestion that dipping rods be used is perfect as an assistance to others and would have been a reasonable addition to the thread IF IT HAD been written as your first response;as it stands, it reads as an apologia for your initial incorrect post, ( without an apology of course!).
    The truncating of my response to you is an unusual attempt to deflect the substance of my observation, i.e., that you should have, as a moderator, employed a higher level of diligence and attentiveness to a posting prior to answering.
    Perhaps Boards.ie should consider granting different status terms to contributors when those contributors are posting on Forums other than those for which they have been granted an elevated status.
    The term "nonsense" may be considered mild but I take exception to it being applied to me or my reasoning in the circumstances as outlined above, an apology would be accepted, even at this late stage.

Seriously,
    The fact I'm a mod has nothing to do with anything I post outside of forums I mod, as such I don't know why you keep going on about it.

You can take exception to the manner in which I dismissed your off-topic posting but at the end of the day you are the one bringing something up that has no affect on what I post here, so you'll be waiting a long time for an apology I'm afraid.

Anyway to bring this back on topic, the op has no way of proving any belief that the oil company has scammed them

Cabaal wrote: »
    Seriously,
    The fact I'm a mod has nothing to do with anything I post outside of forums I mod, as such I don't know why you keep going on about it.

You can take exception to the manner in which I dismissed your off-topic posting but at the end of the day you are the one bringing something up that has no affect on what I post here, so you'll be waiting a long time for an apology I'm afraid.

Anyway to bring this back on topic, the op has no way of proving any belief that the oil company has scammed them

Didn't you misread the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Most likely stolen.
    We suffered the same fate at our last residence right on the N.I border. €200 of oil taken, and they didn't even so much as leave the scrapings in the bottom of the tank. They also stole the oil drums from our garage, and our gas tank as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@doublej What Cabaal has said is correct. He is not a moderator in this forum, and continuing to harp on about it will not be looked on favourably. All posters should read posts carefully, not just moderators.

If you wish to discuss the general treatment and expected standards from moderators, then you can go the Feedback forum.

dudara

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Most likely stolen.
    We suffered the same fate at our last residence right on the N.I border. €200 of oil taken, and they didn't even so much as leave the scrapings in the bottom of the tank. They also stole the oil drums from our garage, and our gas tank as well.

It is widespread. Beats me how it can be robbed and transported so smoothly; I've never heard of anyone being done for stealing it. Sadly, it makes me wonder whats in the back of all these transits criss-crossing the country.

I have heard of a couple of occasions where a decoy tank filled with watery oil has been siphoned.:D The real tank is kept in a shed......

Advertisement