Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Dominick Street, Dublin - is it safe to rent here?

Options
  • 22-11-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am not from Dublin and recently got a Green Card and moved to Dublin.I am planning to rent a house in Lower Dominick St., dublin 1 just off Parnell St.I want to know is this area safe for a couple?Maybe someone leaving in this street or adjacent areas, please say your thoughts.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

kevincool wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am not from Dublin and recently got a Green Card and moved to Dublin.I am planning to rent a house in Lower Dominick St., dublin 1 just off Parnell St.I want to know is this area safe for a couple?Maybe someone leaving in this street or adjacent areas, please say your thoughts.Thanks.

Not going to lie, it's not a very safe street, that said, it's not exactly dangerous, there are far worse areas that don't have as good access to the city centre but it comes down to how comfortable you would be on a street with some dangerous looking characters wandering around at night

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Thanks TVC. Yes I see all those dopes and addicts roaming the streets near parnell street when I visited city centre twice.Don't want to take a chance, I will let the apartment go and wait for another one near city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

tvc15 wrote: »
    Not going to lie, it's not a very safe street, that said, it's not exactly dangerous, there are far worse areas that don't have as good access to the city centre but it comes down to how comfortable you would be on a street with some dangerous looking characters wandering around at night

I agree with you. It's not that the area is a extreme crime zone but it is the uneasy feeling when in the area and the numerous dodgy looking characters that you see which would alarm you
    You don't need to live like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Agree with the above. Years ago(about 5) I used to park my car there regularly on street in the evenings. One evening when returning to my car, there was a tracksuited dodgy looking fella standing around my car. It was obvious he was sussing it out. As I approached it(with 2 friends in tow), he quickly crossed the street. Anyway, it shook me to a point that I never parked there again.

Have walked there a few times in the daytime, is sorta alright due to footfall to feel safe. Just be careful once darkness falls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

I'm from Dublin and moved into the street a few months ago. I was slightly concerned about the area, but so far have not had any hassle. It's actually quieter than the "better" area I was in before.

The worst I've seen here is a few lads drinking in a doorway. I find Talbot St. / Marlborough St. during the day time far worse than Dominic St. at night.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As long as you are smart, it's not a bad place to live in if you want to live in the city centre.

The trouble comes if you are walking home drunk etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

As long as you are smart, it's not a bad place to live in if you want to live in the city centre.

The trouble comes if you are walking home drunk etc.

To be honest, I would consider that any area of Dublin could be troublesome if you didn't have your wits about you.
    I don't live in the city center, but I still have to go there and deal with people loitering, dealing drugs, taking lumps out of each other etc.

OP, your own comfort level is the one that has to decide this for you. Maybe head up there at a time you would be heading home from work, or take a drive/walk up there at pub closing time and see what the area is like.
    Everyone has different experiences and some will be more comfortable than others to live and deal with city life.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

lived there for years. never had any problems.

it's really handy for everything. would move back there if i could

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I wouldn't live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

moxin wrote: »
    Agree with the above. Years ago(about 5) I used to park my car there regularly on street in the evenings. One evening when returning to my car, there was a tracksuited dodgy looking fella standing around my car. It was obvious he was sussing it out. As I approached it(with 2 friends in tow), he quickly crossed the street. Anyway, it shook me to a point that I never parked there again.

Have walked there a few times in the daytime, is sorta alright due to footfall to feel safe. Just be careful once darkness falls.

"I Survived" - the Moxin story...

Advertisement