Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thorntons or L'Ecrivan

Options
  • 22-11-2013 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I will probably post this in the Dublin forum, but just interested in the views from here first :) Planning a trip to Dublin with Mrs. Loire in the next few weeks and would like to dine at one of the above. Has anyone here been to both? I've eaten lunch at L'Ecrivan but it was about 10 years ago!

Thanks in advance,
    Loire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Guilbauds.

Been to all three recently in the last 6 months and there is very little difference in price, but guilbauds is far better for 'that' experience.

In Thorntons a couple of months ago, I received a complete 'take the piss' size meat portion for lunch. It was taster plate size. Pork belly, utterly delicious, but cmon guys, make it a little bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Guilbauds.

Bought the tee-shirt ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved to main Food & Drink forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Throntons for the food, l'ecrivan for the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Thorntons. No question. L'Ecrivan for the attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Greenhouse !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

L'ecrivain.
    But if you have a third choice I'd definitely go for Chapter One.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Of those two, definitely Thornton's.

BUT, I'd recommend Forest Avenue over both of them.

Only open three weeks.

It. Is. Stunning.

Thornton's & Anair (Galway) were my favourite restaurants in Ireland until last week when I ate in Forest Avenue. Could not have been more impressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If I only had the choice of the two I would go for L'Ecrivan without a doubt, however if I could add Chapter One to that list it would win hands down. Its definitely the best Michelin Star experience in Dublin.

If you have any difficulty getting a reservation in any of those I'd suggest Fade Street Social as a backup (the restaurant part not the Tapas) especially if you like Beef (it is a bit noisy though!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

L'Ecrivain for me, but imo Chapter One is better than both of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Neither TBH. I'd choose Chapter One, the Greenhouse or Restaurant Forty One. Never been a fan of L'Ecrivain and had weak service there on a recent visit. Thornton's is good, but the dining room doesn't do anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The amount of supplements in L'Ecrivain annoyed me the one time I ate there.

No other major gripes but Chapter One is superior in food, atmosphere, and service.

Recently tried the lunch menu at RPG and was stunning. Will be going back.
    Where is Forest Avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Bateman wrote: »
    Where is Forest Avenue?

Sussex Road, D4...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thanks all. A lot of votes for Chapter One! We ate there about 6 years ago and didn't find it great to be honest. Perhaps we had were there on an off-night. We did go for the early bird and the restaurant was empty until our desserts came so it all felt a little dead. That was apart from a certain, controversial sports commentator getting hammered at the table next to us which probably didn't help either.

We're staying near Grafton St and will be boozing in and around Grafton St so ideally we'd like to eat there too. We used to love Peploes, La Mer Zou and Town Bar and Grill (which only opened soon before we migrated to Cork). Some of the comments about the price of side dishes would put me off though....hmmm

Just to add....from the sounds of where we ate above I'd like to clarify that we are certainly not millionaires or anything like it! We don't tend to go out much but when we do we like to go somewhere good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Loire wrote: »

We're staying near Grafton St and will be boozing in and around Grafton St so ideally we'd like to eat there too.

In that case consider Greenhouse or Residence Club as well as Thorntons. All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 carlson

L'ecrivain definitely. Thorntons has no atmosphere - the room is very bland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Out of those two, food wise, Thornton's, easily.

But I'd pick Chapter One over either.

And I'd pick Guilbaud's over all of them.

Advertisement