Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Makeup - your thoughts/plans

• 22-11-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

My wedding is still a while away but this is something I've been thinking about as I have no idea what I want to do.

As far as make-up goes I rarely wear it and when I do it's only eye liner and mascara. I've had it professionally applied a couple of times and have never been happy - the foundation is plastered on and I end up looking over a decade older; even OH thought it looked bizarre.

I can have small break outs and slightly blotchy skin when stressed so am considering make-up; I've also heard it helps avoid a washed out appearance in photos.

I'm interested in other people's experiences. Also, any recommendation for a good make-up artist in Dublin/Kildare region?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I don't wear much make up in general but for the wedding I wanted it to look perfect in photos and last all day long with everyone kissing and hugging me, something my own makeup wouldn't do (from 11am to the small hours!) because I just don't invest enough money or effort into buying good stuff. I got my makeup done by a lovely makeup artist (no good to you because not near Dublin), it was very natural, not caked on at all, and lasted perfectly until 5am. I didn't have to touch up any bit of it at all, just topped up my lipgloss twice during the night, it was great.

I have very sensitive eyes which burn if eyeliner is put near them or too much mascara. I got 2 week eyelashes added to the outside of my eyes two days before the wedding, this meant I didn't need mascara at all, it was great. Then the make up artist knew about my sensitive eyes so just used eyeshadow along the lower part and very carefully along the top part to give the look of liner, it was beautiful. In every photo I'm delighted with how nice my eyes look.

The main thing that makes you look natural and not overdone is not having fake tan, as if you do have it the make up has to be matched to that, not your natural skin tone. I didn't wear fake tan, so was my usual pretty pale self, many people commented on how natural I looked and that it was nice to see a bride that wasn't orange beside the groom.

Pick a make up artist whose work you like the look of, do a trial and decide then. The trial is the only way to decide really.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Thanks seosamh1980. I didn't even realise you could get false eyelashes that lasted that long. How much were they?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I did my own makeup on my wedding day and I'm really glad I did. I'd had bad experiences with makeup artists in the past where the makeup looked horrible on me and I'd end up taking it off and reapplying it myself. I'm fairly pale (usually the palest shade in foundation) and I always found the makeup artists made me look orange!

In the 12 or so months before the wedding I tried samples of several different foundations to find the one that I liked best and was nice and long wearing and photographed well. I'm able to do my own makeup well, so I was confident that I'd have it the way I liked it on the day. It was nice because in the morning we went and got our hair done and then we had plenty of time to relax at home before it was time to put on our makeup and get dressed.

I invested in a bobbi brown liquid foundation because they had a great selection of pale shades. Then I used a mac powder, blush and gel eyeliner, urban decay eyeshadow and a bobbi brown waterproof mascara and a lipstain from the body shop. I think I powdered my nose once during the whole day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I rarely wear make up but if I am going out wear mascara and eyeliner, as I have no idea I just told the make up artist what I liked and she did it. Do a trial though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A good make up artist will make you look your best version of you. Do a trial, they should listen to what you want. Bear in mind makeup for a wedding needs to photograph well and last a long time. I'm pretty good at doing my own makeup but the woman who did my wedding day makeup was in a different league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

lazygal wrote: »
    A good make up artist will make you look your best version of you.

Exactly! The eyelashes were €25 I think, got them done two days before and they lasted until about 10 days after (when I yanked some out by mistake taking off Halloween makeup and had to take off the rest, they were in it for the long haul they were so stuck!). It was great, because the day before the wedding my eyes looked lovely even though I had no make up on, and the night after it I still had lovely lashes, with no need for mascara burning my eyes. They were very subtle, if I could have them stuck on permanently I would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had one for my wedding. I don't wear make-up on a daily basis, but do when going out. I wanted my make-up done professionally so that I would look good in the photos and it would last all day. I'm a MAC girl with make-up, so I found an excellent make-up artist here, bought all my products in the MAC shop in Carnaby St and brought it over.

I've got very fine lashes, but didn't want the 'fish out of water' look, and didn't want loads of mascara either. The make-up artist used false lashes in the corners of my eyes which looked fantastic! She did wonders with my lippy too. At the suggestion of the MAC artists in London, she mixed bright purple lipliner with my red lipstick - I got a lot of compliments asking me where I got that colour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I very rarely wear makeup either, but got it done professionally for my wedding. I can't praise the person enough, she did a great job. Very natural, just looked like myself but with better skin.

Very important to get a trial done beforehand.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I took a course in makeup a few years ago.. I could do my own but I want to be pampered on my Wedding day and not have to worry about getting it wrong with my nerves..

I have my eye on a really good MUA on my facebook page.. she works for Inglot but she does nixers.. once I've a date set she'll be my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Some really good tips in this video if you were wanting to attempt your own...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwxFolL9nxE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭My Makeup Perspective

My tips for bridal makeup (I am an MUA)

• Use a foundation with very low or no SPF (It causes the white face in flash photos you sometimes see!)
    • Match the foundation to the skin on your chest. The skin on your neck can often be paler than the skin on your face.
    • Consider doing a one-day course with a recommended MUA, they can teach you how to do your own makeup for your big day, OR as others have suggested, book a trial with a recommended MUA.
    • Consider having a facial or two done AT LEAST two weeks before the big day. It will make your life so much easier if your skin is in tip-top condition for your wedding day!

Feel free to DM me for any more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I could have written your post OP! I would rarely wear make-up and wanted a natural look on my wedding day. I had a make up artist called Aileen Duffy recommended to me. She's based in Westmeath, but she may travel.

My main fear was that I wouldn't look like myself on my wedding day, but I still looked like me and didn't feel caked in make up. Would highly recommend Aileen, great make up artist and a genuinely lovely person to boot! [url] http://www.aileenduffy.com/ [/url]

Feel free to PM if you want more info :)

Advertisement