Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax - emigrating

Options
  • 22-11-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

My own private residence tax is 150euro a year but im now thinking of leaving the country for work up north for the long term but wanting to know, because i wont be living in the house , will i now fall into a different tax seeing as im not there.

I know i can rent it out but dont want to go down this route because i dont want anyone living in my home. I know its the possibility of 7k or there about a year but not interested in the money because still would like to come home once every few months or a long wknd and to check if everything is ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If it is still your principle residence then the tax doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The NPPR is being abolished at the end of the year and the trigger date for liability has already past so nobody will become liable for the NPPR unless they already were. That only leaves the LPT and it's the same for owner occupiers and non-owner occupiers, so short answer OP: makes no difference whatsoever whether you live in it or not, it'll be liable for the same LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

murphaph wrote: »
    The NPPR is being abolished at the end of the year and the trigger date for liability has already past so nobody will become liable for the NPPR unless they already were. That only leaves the LPT and it's the same for owner occupiers and non-owner occupiers, so short answer OP: makes no difference whatsoever whether you live in it or not, it'll be liable for the same LPT.

Yes i understand, im not trying to get out of the tax. I was told that if its a rental property or 2nd home, the tax will be higher than what it is if its your private residence

If it is still your principle residence then the tax doesn't change.

Can it still be my main private residence even thou i wil only stay in it say, 4 times a year. What about tax issues up north, if im working, will i not have to put the address im staying at down as my principle residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Can it still be my main private residence even thou i wil only stay in it say, 4 times a year. What about tax issues up north, if im working, will i not have to put the address im staying at down as my principle residence?

I have no idea how the tax system works in the North so I can't answer that question.

• Advertisement

I have no idea how the tax system works in the North so I can't answer that question.

Can i live and work up there yet still claim my private residence down here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Can i live and work up there yet still claim my private residence down here

Talk to an accountant. One that deals with non- resident for tax purposes submissions. They will have seen this before with people working on ships or oil rigs etc

Advertisement