Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes someone Irish?

• 22-11-2013 1:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

Inspired by some of the threads floating about; I was pondering on the nature of identity. It saddens me to see, on occasion, people dismissing others as not Irish because of their religion, their ancestry, where they live and what politics they gravitate towards. I have found it bemusing when a particular politically charged post might accuse a fellow Irish person of being British or self loathing because they might not buy into a particular brand of politics in Ireland.

Or even an accuastion of not only being self loathing but possibly anti-Irish for similar reasons. Because someone may not agree with or follow the prevailing ideologies. Is it not, in a way, equally anti-Irish to be slating and denigrating fellow Irish people because they are not of a particular political persuasion?

That's the political stuff out of the way. There's a side I love about being Irish and it's that you may not have been born of the stony grey soil, you may not be of a faith, or of another, or your parents came from elsewhere, or you're a few generations out of the aul' sod - but still, by and large, you will be welcomed. Not always, granted. There's all the ugly stuff that's been covered elsewhere and then there's the "plastic" tag which is quite tired and insulting at this stage. If someone wants to be Irish, identifies with the country and the people, the culture etc - why not?

There's no one form of Irishness, is there? There's a rainbow of Irishness, a myriad of different peoples with different outlooks and traditions but all united by Ireland.

Apologies for the spiel, just read one genre of thread too many :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭The Dom

Location of the maternity hospital / taxi.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Moaning, begrudgery and constantly talking about the weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

This will end well old hippy :eek:

I admire what you are trying to achieve though ;)

I'll remain quiet on this one & observe only...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I suppose being born on the island of Ireland or having an Irish parent or parents makes you Irish. Though not everyone born on the island of Ireland will identify as Irish and theres nothing wrong with that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Ginger hair

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have a pet Leprechaun chained up in my back garden. Irish as bef*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A blubbery crimson head shoehorned into a repulsive GAA jersey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MonstaMash wrote: »
    This will end well old hippy :eek:

I admire what you are trying to achieve though ;)

I'll remain quiet on this one & observe only...

Completely up to you, MM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

A love of alcohol and potatoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You want an honest answer. I work in tourism, we are considered a genuinely warm, funny and interesting people. We're considered well read and we'll educated. Were considered approachable and nice. Everyone in Dublin can talk about the gpo or quote a bit of yeats to someone.

In my opinion it's these things that make us Irish. The minor traits in our character that make us famous throughout the world. Most importantly it's these traits that mean when we sit in a bar in America, or Australia or anywhere else in the world people want to know us.

The language and the gaa is all stuff foreign people haven't heard of until they come here. Sure it makes our country more colourful, but in the grand scheme of things when your abroad it doesn't effect how people see you, because they know nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

White, Catholic and must know at least 3 lines of the national anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Being born here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Simples

We get the joke foreigners don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A framed picture of Pope John Paul II/JFK in the "good" sitting room.

A box of biscuits stored away to be used only on special occasions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the ability to drink their weight in creamy pints of Guinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

After drinking pints of Carlsberg in my Liverpool jersey I head to the Chinese on a Saturday.

Oh sorry, what was the question again...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Their nationality believe it or not :P:P:P

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Being born here.

While I agree with that, didn't the great fascist McDowell get the rules changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Having a Padre Pio sticker in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

While I agree with that, didn't the great fascist McDowell get the rules changed?

Him and the 80% of Irish people who voted for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-seventh_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

old hippy wrote: »
    Or even an accuastion of not only being self loathing...

Exhibit A:

Many of the responses in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Being born here.

So, if someone is born abroad (to Irish parents or not) and comes to live here at age 2 (and if they get Irish citizenship if not born to Irish parents) they are still not Irish? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Any excuse to post this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

An act of givign birth on the part of your mother. Beyond that, who gives a ****?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

errlloyd wrote: »
    You want an honest answer. I work in tourism, we are considered a genuinely warm, funny and interesting people. We're considered well read and we'll educated. Were considered approachable and nice. Everyone in Dublin can talk about the gpo or quote a bit of yeats to someone.

In my opinion it's these things that make us Irish. The minor traits in our character that make us famous throughout the world. Most importantly it's these traits that mean when we sit in a bar in America, or Australia or anywhere else in the world people want to know us.

The language and the gaa is all stuff foreign people haven't heard of until they come here. Sure it makes our country more colourful, but in the grand scheme of things when your abroad it doesn't effect how people see you, because they know nothing about it.

Bang on, I'm in Canada now studying abroad and a girl I'm living with told me she had no idea Ireland had its own language, it does seem to be one of those things we take for granted.

Major things that define an Irish person for me, being born in Ireland, having Irish parents or close enough relations.

Minor things are listening to trad/folk music, reading Irish literature or appreciating Irish art, and playing Irish sport, not defining traits, but all of which exist to make us distinctive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Growing up in Ireland and being influenced by the society. It annoys me when people wave around passports from countries they may have never even set foot in and say it proves they are that nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I don't know! I've heard people give out that people who are born here to foreign parents aren't really Irish, I've heard people give out that yanks coming back to try find their relatives after a couple of generations aren't really Irish.

I'd say that Republic of Telly video is as good a litmus test as anything really. Freud described us a nation immune to psychoanalysis, that should really be put on more of the brochures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm not Irish, but it strikes me, how much people seem to long to own their own house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A yearning to own a house or a field. Preferably with frontage.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    A yearning to own a house or a field. Preferably with frontage.

Oh yeah baby! That's like culchie Spanish fly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Oranage2 wrote: »
    White, Catholic and must know at least 3 lines of the national anthem.

Thats me off the hook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

old hippy wrote: »
    Inspired by some of the threads floating about; I was pondering on the nature of identity. It saddens me to see, on occasion, people dismissing others as not Irish because of their religion, their ancestry, where they live and what politics they gravitate towards.

Irish =

1. Caucasian
    2. Born in Ireland
    3. Parents both born in Ireland
    4. Grandparents both born in Ireland

Other stuff like "New Irish" for whatever brand of immigrant a person might be selling, is nonsense. Turkish people aren't called "the New Germans" in national newspapers in Germany, nor are Pakistani people in the UK referred to "the new English".

So maybe:

5. Massive inferiority complex with regard to culture and heritage rammed down your throat by a liberal left-wing media.

And that is Irish.

Thats me off the hook

Sinn na Fianna Fáil
    AMHRÁN NA BHFIANN

Now you're as Irish as most people in the country under that criteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

dissed doc wrote: »
    Irish =

1. Caucasian
    2. Born in Ireland

Incest is also a requirement? :pac:

Ziphius wrote: »
    Incest is also a requirement? :pac:

Hah! I mean on both sides....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

What makes someone Irish? A passport.

Who makes someone Irish? The minister for foreign affairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Being born here.

Guy A is born in Ireland. Six months later his parents emigrate to Canada. He's raised in Canadian schools, with Canadian friends. He knows nothing of Ireland other than his parents used to live there once.

Guy B is born in India. Six months later his parents immigrate to Ireland. He loves Ireland as if it were his home. He is an Irish citizen, he pays Irish taxes, we watches Irish TV, eats Irish food, cheers at Irish sporting events.

I'd say Guy B is a lot more Irish than Guy A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Irish =

1. Caucasian
    2. Born in Ireland

Other stuff like "New Irish" for whatever brand of immigrant a person might be selling, is nonsense. Turkish people aren't called "the New Germans" in national newspapers in Germany, nor are Pakistani people in the UK referred to "the new English".

So maybe:

5. Massive inferiority complex with regard to culture and heritage rammed down your throat by a liberal left-wing media.

And that is Irish.

If you only have two grandparents - you aren't Irish....you are inbred. You should probably check though, you might be English royalty.

Irish =

1. Caucasian
    2. Born in Ireland

And that is Irish.

I'd say there are a couple hundred people around my age who meet all criteria apart from number 2, due to being born in UK or US to parents who were working there in the 80s. Must remind to tell my gaelgoir cousin who's been living here since she was 2 that she's not Irish :rolleyes:

Not even going there with number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

A red lemonade drinking, potato eating begrudger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Just asked a older gentleman here at work. His answer:

Knowing how to foot turf, solo a ball, genuflect while doing a half hard blessing of yourself and, most importantly, 10 different ways to prepare spuds.

My ten cents, whatever floats your boat. If you want to count yourself Irish, learn the above and you're there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Rasheed wrote: »
    My ten cents, whatever floats your boat. If you want to count yourself Irish, learn the above and you're there :D

Unfortunately that won't get you past immigration control at the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

These lads epitomise a lot of it. From 2:18 onwards is the best part

I'd love to visit Montserrat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

srsly78 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that won't get you past immigration control at the airport.

No. For that, you'll need to learn how to go to Mass properly:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

anncoates wrote: »
    A blubbery crimson head shoehorned into a repulsive GAA jersey.

Or a crew cut scrote in a "Shams" jersey fighting in the streets with a scrote in "Bohs" jersey.

Take your pick of which stereotypical generalisation floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Listening to hip hop music and rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

UCDVet wrote: »
    Guy A is born in Ireland. Six months later his parents emigrate to Canada. He's raised in Canadian schools, with Canadian friends. He knows nothing of Ireland other than his parents used to live there once.

Guy B is born in India. Six months later his parents immigrate to Ireland. He loves Ireland as if it were his home. He is an Irish citizen, he pays Irish taxes, we watches Irish TV, eats Irish food, cheers at Irish sporting events.

Not with that tan he's not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

if you have or are entitled to Irish citizenship and you consider yourself Irish, then you're Irish.

UCDVet wrote: »

Guy A is Irish, because usually people are referring to ethnicity and not citizenship. Guy B and his children and children's children will never be Irish, because it's completely impossible. When referring to ethnicity and ethnic "heritage" for want of a description.

Guy A might also very well never have an Irish passport, never set foot in the place. After about 3 generations his kids will be "Canadian". That's simply how I look at it.

Some countries and citizenships are constructed out of economic constructs based on emigration - US, Australia, Canada, etc., . Most European, Asian and African countries are actually consisting of people with some common ethnic line.

Likewise, having a British passport doesn't make you English; but British is a common identity among English, Scottish, and other immigrantsetc., . There are definitely English people, as much as Welsh people, etc., There are Irish people and there are people who have assumed Irish citizenship.

Ireland may be unique in culturally not having a word for people who are not from here. Most likely because people speak English. What is the Irish word for people who are not from here but live here (e.g., Auslander, Buitenlander/Allochtoon, Gaikoku-jin and gaijin, Etranger, etc., etc., ). Virtually every country has one but always in the native language.

coimhthíoch?
    eachtrannach?

I have no idea. Using the English word "Irish" will always lead to this argument because it's unsolvable. How do you refer to people who are not from here, in a language that itself has only one word to describe you and everybody here because the language itself is borrowed from another country.

Guy A is Irish, because usually people are referring to ethnicity and not citizenship. Guy B and his children and children's children will never be Irish, because it's completely impossible. When referring to ethnicity and ethnic "heritage" for want of a description.

Guy A might also very well never have an Irish passport, never set foot in the place. After about 3 generations his kids will be "Canadian". That's simply how I look at it.

Some countries and citizenships are constructed out of economic constructs based on emigration - US, Australia, Canada, etc., . Most European, Asian and African countries are actually consisting of people with some common ethnic line.

Likewise, having a British passport doesn't make you English. There are definitely English people, as much as Welsh people, etc., There are Irish people and there are people who have assumed Irish citizenship.

I'm not sure I follow your argument, if it's about ethnicity then an Irish person could become Scottish for example? Is Denzel Washington American? For that matter is any person of European/African descent living in Canada or the US actually Canadian or American and why the distinction between there and everywhere else? What nationality are people who are ethnically Jewish? If someone is mixed race are they automatically the nationality that goes with the ethnicity of the non-Caucasian parent?

• Advertisement
Advertisement