Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2's new single

Options
  • 22-11-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Thoughts and opinions on this?

http://www.nme.com/news/u2/73994

It's immediate, it stays with you, it does what it says on the tin. That said, I can't help but imagine Chris Martin singing this. I know it's been the fashion for a while to compare their sound with Coldplay but the comparison is there to be made.

I think they still have it in them to make another truly great album but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not expecting them to go back to 1991-97, when they made their best music IMO, but a little experimentation wouldn't be a bad thing for them.

P.S. I couldn't find the whole clip on YouTube yet, hence the NME link.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Here's the full song;

It's ok, an improvement over anything on NLOTH but nothing special, pretty standard soft rock but it's listenable.

I'm not expecting U2 to return to 91-7 standard, but if the next album is anything above a 6/10 I'll be happy.

Can definitely see Coldplay in there, maybe U2 are trying to troll Chris and the lads to see if they will copy this on their next album?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

karaokeman wrote: »
    Here's the full song;

It's ok, an improvement over anything on NLOTH but nothing special, pretty standard soft rock but it's listenable.

I'm not expecting U2 to return to 91-7 standard, but if the next album is anything above a 6/10 I'll be happy.

Can definitely see Coldplay in there, maybe U2 are trying to troll Chris and the lads to see if they will copy this on their next album?

I think NLOTH got an undeserved carpeting. It's a long way from their best but some of the songs on it were really good. I'm thinking of Moment of Surrender, Fez (Being Born), White As Snow, Cedars Of Lebanon, Breathe...all fantastic songs. The problem was that the band had been dropping hints that this was a return to a more adventurous sound but in the end it was caught between two stools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I think NLOTH got an undeserved carpeting. It's a long way from their best but some of the songs on it were really good. I'm thinking of Moment of Surrender, Fez (Being Born), White As Snow, Cedars Of Lebanon, Breathe...all fantastic songs. The problem was that the band had been dropping hints that this was a return to a more adventurous sound but in the end it was caught between two stools.

I don't think its a terrible album, just not superb, the songs you mentioned I think are good, don't hate any of them but don't think their fantastic, however I respect your opinion.

I've actually seen a lot of bands say their next album would be their best or their most adventurous, they always throw it out there to get the fans excited, but it rarely works unless the record follows through.

That said I look forward to seeing U2 again assuming they have a few stadium shows lined up for next summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Is this a single from the next album or just from the Mandela film soundtrack? It's average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its alright, but then again the first single from their last album was one of the worst songs on it! And I like that album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Is this a single from the next album or just from the Mandela film soundtrack? It's average at best.

Apparently Dave Fanning hinted there might be a different version of it on their album. And you're right, it's average at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Did Chris Martin write and produce this ? U2 don`t have anything to prove,in fairness to them. All the great artists produce their best and most interesting work in their 20`s and 30`s. U2 have not released an exciting record since 1997. On this evidence we can expect another album about beautiful days,cities with blinding lights and how they`ll go crazy if they don`t go crazy tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its not bad. Not great, but better than a lot of stuff they have released in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Pretty disappointed with this, they have passed their best for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭trashcan

Did it remind anyone else of this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

trashcan wrote: »
    Did it remind anyone else of this ?

Actually, the background music of Ordinary Love does resemble Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy. How weird is that - I was only listening to the latter tune the other day! However, the lyrics are very different and the basic tune is slightly different.

I have to say I liked U2's new song (Ordinary Love) straightaway on first hearing - I thought it was evocative and interesting and the similarities with Smalltown Boy was no harm either! It is too early to say how this rates amongst other U2 songs, but I think it certainly is one of the better songs by U2 since 2000. I have to give it a chance to see if I should use the word "best" in the last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm liking this song a lot more now, this is cool:

Also they've released this:

I think it's alright. I haven't checked but I'm guessing there's an album on the way in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

As a HUGE U2 fan (27 gigs in 5 countries and 3 continents) I think Ordinary Love is ok but the acoustic versions played on both The Jimmy Kimmel Show and The Oscars is superb.

I was a tad disappointed in NLOTH even if it had some glorious moments (I'll Go Crazy.., Unknown Caller) but I really like Invisible which hopefully bodes well for new album)

They need a monster lead single IMHO, as opposed to the mediocre Get On Your Boots to promote the album whenever it comes along.

Just my tuppence worth..

Advertisement