Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike pulls to the right!?!?

• 22-11-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Helped a mate of mine get her first bike a few months back. It's been at my place since. I cleaned it up, serviced it, did the brakes etc. It's pretty much ready for her to use after the winter now. Anyhoo, I fired it up this morning (hasn't been started in weeks) just to get the fluids pumping and keep the battery charged. I went for a wee spin, but couldn't help but notice the bike seems to pull to the right. :confused:

The bars are straight, the forks are fine, the stops are undamaged so I'm at a loss. Anybody any ideas for me?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Try putting the front up on a paddock stand and check how the front wheel spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Try putting the front up on a paddock stand and check how the front wheel spins.

Had it on front stand AND headstock stand while I was doing the front brakes. The wheel spins fine as I remember, but might have another look to see if there's a wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

P.K.M. wrote: »
    Helped a mate of mine get her first bike a few months back. It's been at my place since. I cleaned it up, serviced it, did the brakes etc. It's pretty much ready for her to use after the winter now. Anyhoo, I fired it up this morning (hasn't been started in weeks) just to get the fluids pumping and keep the battery charged. I went for a wee spin, but couldn't help but notice the bike seems to pull to the right. :confused:

The bars are straight, the forks are fine, the stops are undamaged so I'm at a loss. Anybody any ideas for me?

Cheers.

Same thing happened to me. It turned out that the bike was a USA import and thus left hand drive. The mechanic converted it to right hand drive and now it drives straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What does the rear wheel alignment look like?
    Chain adjusters even?
    Does the chain run straight from the rear sprocket to the countershaft sprocket?
    Is one fork leg binding or twisted?
    Is the front axle installed correctly? not bending the lower slider inwards or outwards?

Tyre pressures OK?
    Front brakes not binding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Could be the wear on the Tyre due to the chamber of the road, that's what it was on my FZ6 a while back when I had it. Do you find that it turns quicker/easier for right handers than left handers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Could be the wear on the Tyre due to the chamber of the road, that's what it was on my FZ6 a while back when I had it. Do you find that it turns quicker/easier for right handers than left handers?

Just about to say this, and obviously the tyre pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

nightster1 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. It turned out that the bike was a USA import and thus left hand drive. The mechanic converted it to right hand drive and now it drives straight
    wut? O.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

woulda thought road camber would have it tending left, rather then right?

nightster1 wrote: »

PMSL!! Good one! :pac:

kaimera wrote: »
    wut? O.o

I think someone is taking the piss! :pac:
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    What does the rear wheel alignment look like?
    Chain adjusters even?
    Does the chain run straight from the rear sprocket to the countershaft sprocket?
    Is one fork leg binding or twisted?
    Is the front axle installed correctly? not bending the lower slider inwards or outwards?

Tyre pressures OK?
    Front brakes not binding?

Single sided swingarm, so only the one adjuster.
    Front axle is fine.
    Brakes are grand, I stripped them, cleaned the pistons, new seals etc.
    Fork leg, looks ok but might need to have a closer look now.
    Will check tyre pressures too, but I think they're ok.

Thanks man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Run a string across both sides of the rear tyre and see where it ends up in relation to the frame, If you wrap it around the tyre and measure the distance from a frame rail each side.

Also are the wheel spacers correct?

• Advertisement

Run a string across both sides of the rear tyre and see where it ends up in relation to the frame, If you wrap it around the tyre and measure the distance from a frame rail each side.

Spacers are grand. Only got a C-spanner a few days ago to do the back wheel/chain adjustment. Can have a better look then. Nice one chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Indeed - run a string around front tyre to back tyre and measure the gap with handlebars straight (blue arrows) on each side, they should be equal.

Or, make them equal and then notice if handlebars are straight.

As others have said, if all stacks up that way, look at tyre pressures - or tyre wear. I mean, are you sure it didn't pttr before you went at it ? Could have been there before you...........

281863.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement