Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre static IP?

• 22-11-2013 3:33pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Eircom eFibre comes with a static IP address by default? When I ordered it they told me it was going to cost an extra 50 Euro for a static IP, so I left it as I could always use a free service like Dyn instead. However I rebooted my router and my IP stayed the same, so just wondering what the story is, or is it likely to just change after a few weeks? I never took notice of what it was before, so no idea if it's changed since I first got it.

I just set up an IP camera and everything works well except for the free DDNS service that the camera comes pre-installed with, vipcam.org. Ports are forwarded correctly and all that as I can access the camera from outside the network using it's IP address but not with vipcam's DDNS service, so I'm just wondering is my IP likely to keep changing otherwise I'll have to try and set it up through another service like Dyn. It's not so much for me but I'd like to learn what's happening as I'm going to be setting a few of these up for friends.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

They give out dynamic IP's by default, the ip address timeout is alot longer than dsl, so if you reboot the modem and turn on within about 10mins you will get the same ip address back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Is this ip retention similar with Vodafone? And does anyone know the cost for a fixed ip with Vodafone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

As stated above, dynamic IPs by default, but you may be able to buy a static IP from Eircom if you ask them. Try the Eircom forum for more info..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

allen175 wrote: »
    They give out dynamic IP's by default, the ip address timeout is alot longer than dsl, so if you reboot the modem and turn on within about 10mins you will get the same ip address back.

Ah ok, thanks for that. I rebooted it within a minute, didn't know that. Guess I'll try and get it going properly with Dyndns so.

AFAIK Voda charge 5 Euro per month and Eircom 50 per year for a static IP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

eircom charge a one off fee of €50 for a static ip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

eircom charge a one off fee of €50 for a static ip

Oh right, well whoever I was talking to on the phone before I got the eFibre said it was going to be 50 a year. Anyway, I got it all working in the end with the DDNS service of the Camera's manufacturer vipcam.org which is free and doesn't involve having to log in once a month like No-IP.com or Dyn to keep the account from expiring. I did test it with all three of those services and forced an IP change by leaving the router off for over an hour and they all worked, so happy days! Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Blade wrote: »
    Oh right, well whoever I was talking to on the phone before I got the eFibre said it was going to be 50 a year. Anyway, I got it all working in the end with the DDNS service of the Camera's manufacturer vipcam.org which is free and doesn't involve having to log in once a month like No-IP.com or Dyn to keep the account from expiring. I did test it with all three of those services and forced an IP change by leaving the router off for over an hour and they all worked, so happy days! Thanks for all the help.

to avoid the having to log in once a month to keep the account active just set the dvr computer to open the camera viewing webpage with external login details once a day automatically

you can do this under scheduled tasks

Advertisement