Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy wiring?

Options
  • 22-11-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

So, I moved into my new house at the end of the summer 2012 and I got some work done straight away. After having a look at the wiring in the house, I decided to get it rewired. The electrician that my builder provided seemed good at the time, but there are a few issues that are really irritating and tbh I'm starting to think he wasn't as good as I first thought!

The main issue I have is that in my sitting room, most times I use the heating controls to put the heating on (or even when it goes off on a timer), it knocks my A/V receiver onto a no signal screen and I've to turn it off and on again to get picture back. It's not just the heating controls though. I have a projector and a remote controlled screen that can be raised or lowered, and when I use that it does the same thing! Sometimes even turning lights on around the house, or hitting the switch to run the power to the power-shower knocks it off.

It drives me mad, and obviously shouldn't be happening. Does anybody have any idea off-hand as to why this is happening? It seems to be only the receiver that gets affected...

I really can't afford to pay electrician prices to try and figure it out/repair it at the moment. So for now, would a surge protector or something like that help?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

Get that electrician back to resolve the problems if you think its the installation that is at fault, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If you had av cables to the receiver installed by the electrician he may have installed them alongside the electric cables and your issue may be caused by induction from the power cables causing electrical interference in the av cables.Usually LV cables and ELV cables are installed with a degree of separation between them.

Did you agree a warranty period with him for his work?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

There is a HDMI cable ran under the floor for a projector at the back of the room. Also, some speaker wire for the speakers at the rear of the room. I don't think that the electrical cables were ran along the same line, but I might be wrong. So, would interference from electrical cables running along side a HDMI cable going to the projector be able to make my AV receiver flick to black and then to a "no signal" screen?

I definitely have to track the electrician down. Unfortunately it was hard enough getting him here when I was paying him! haha
    I'd also prefer to maybe find a fix that didn't require having to pull up the floor again. Since the work, I had a cabinet fitted into the alcove and all, and it would be a serious pain to get it all out again!... Would a surge protector like this have any effect at all?

Advertisement