Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'll get your research after you're gone?

• 22-11-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Dick Eastman's newsletter had an article to do with this a few days ago and it got me thinking.

I'm relatively young so hopefully I have a few more miles on the clock but it's not something that crossed my mind before.

Hopefully all my non-family research will be 'out there' in books and on blogs.

More broadly, I think I'll donate all my genealogy books to the appropriate organization.

Since us folk on here are fairly into genealogy should we put this in our will, just like other possessions? The irony, a ggg-grandchild doing genealogy in the 2100's finding my will where I donate all my genealogy material!!

So, have you earmarked a family member or group, or will you go all 1922 on it and burn it due to the years of frustration?!:P

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I mentioned it, not in my will but in my letter of wishes (for smaller property). Genealogy books to a particular archive, research to stay within the family. Can't really do more than that!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have thought about this - not being a professional I don't have a huge library but I do have a small collection. Doubt if my present family would have any interest, but who knows about future generations? Its as mysterious as the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I would consider myself youngish too and hope I've many many years left!!!

As of now I would think my oldest Daughter who is only 9 would probably jump straight into it all, I can't ever see her loosing interest in it either, she adores hearing about her ancestors so I'd imagine she'd be the one who will possibly eventually maybe put it all together in a book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I'm hoping to get a physical and online copy to all branches of family, so that it won't be lost.

The idea of being able to pass on what we have found to an appropriate organisation is a great idea, if there was one prepared to take it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Mumha wrote: »

The idea of being able to pass on what we have found to an appropriate organisation is a great idea, if there was one prepared to take it ?

Mumha,

I would suggest a copy of your work to go to the county library and/or local history group library for the county/counties where your ancestors are from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Mumha,

I would suggest a copy of your work to go to the county library and/or local history group library for the county/counties where your ancestors are from.

Do you think they'd be interested ? If they were, I'd gladly give it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Hopefully they should be. I'm sure anything that ads to their collection, if they have storage, and makes it easier for other people to do research would be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Genealogical Society of Ireland have a decent archive of material and would welcome donations.

There are based in Dun Laoire and the archive is in a an odd place under a road near Carlisle pier in the harbour. The buildins on the Carlisle pier ( where old mailboat/train used to dock) are now gone and it is a car park now. The archives are open every Wednesday.

My books would be ones that related to my family from historical accounts to fiction (one author was relative). Now we are all busy producing trees, perhaps libraries will keep a section for them? but what sort of libraries will we have in the future??

Advertisement