Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Married to a Foreigner

Options
  • 22-11-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am from Ireland and my fiance is from Canada. She is going to make her 3 months notice by post. My question is whether she needs to send her original documents or photocopies? She doesn't feel comfortable sending her passport and birth certificate by post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

It's been nearly 5 years since my now husband applied by post so my memory is a bit hazy, but IIRC he sent certified copies of the documents and then presented the originals when he attended for the final interview in Joyce house 2weeks before the wedding. We also had to have translated copies which is why I remember having them translated and certified.

We had them certified not apostilled by the way and it was accepted, but I know of several people who had to have apostilled copies and this can only be done in the home country (in your fiancés case Canada) so check if you need this before she leaves to come here. As part of the Hague convention they are supposed to only accept an apostille but some registrars will accept a certified copy as ours did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I started the process by post as I wasn't yet resident in Ireland, and sent copies of the certs. I'm not even sure they were certified -just presented the originals when we went to see the registrar in person. But then I am a UK citizen, and different rules might've applied.

I would speak to the Registrar's Office and see what's needed. I doubt very much your fiancee will have to send original docs in the post. Have a word with the Canadian Embassy here too.

Advertisement