Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are stay at home mums entitled to 'Home Carers tax credit'??

Options
  • 22-11-2013 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Came across a forum today on the weddingsonline site which said if you're a stay at home mum caring for a dependent person (or baby) and Have paid you're PRSI etc and your partner/husband is working you can claim home carers tax credit. Anyone know if this is correct?? Anyone claiming this? I'll post a link here.

Basically I'm on parental leave at the moment (unpaid) and have also taken unpaid mat leave... Therefore I havent been getting paid from work or getting anything from SW since April this year. Wondering if I can claim for this? To be honest I really don't have a clue in regards to benefits, tax credits etc... The only thing I've ever claimed for is my 6 months mat leave...

The link I've posted states a dependent person can be a child whom child benefit is payable. My som has just turned 1. Ive been working in Ireland continuously since I registered here in 2005. And my husband has been working since May 2011. Obviously I will ring and enquirer on Monday but would be grateful for any advice or opinions in the meantime. Thanks.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/home_carers_tax_credit.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Came across a forum today on the weddingsonline site which said if you're a stay at home mum caring for a dependent person (or baby) and Have paid you're PRSI etc and your partner/husband is working you can claim home carers tax credit. Anyone know if this is correct?? Anyone claiming this? I'll post a link here.

Basically I'm on parental leave at the moment (unpaid) and have also taken unpaid mat leave... Therefore I havent been getting paid from work or getting anything from SW since April this year. Wondering if I can claim for this? To be honest I really don't have a clue in regards to benefits, tax credits etc... The only thing I've ever claimed for is my 6 months mat leave...

The link I've posted states a dependent person can be a child whom child benefit is payable. My som has just turned 1. Ive been working in Ireland continuously since I registered here in 2005. And my husband has been working since May 2011. Obviously I will ring and enquirer on Monday but would be grateful for any advice or opinions in the meantime. Thanks.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/home_carers_tax_credit.html

Yes, your partner can claim that credit. It's worth €800 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

liliq wrote: »
    Yes, your partner can claim that credit. It's worth €800 a year.

Thanks Liliq, does he have to be working for a certain amount of time?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes, and you can back claim if one of you has been home for the past few years. http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/home-carers.html#section4

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks Liliq, does he have to be working for a certain amount of time?

no, but it only applies to the amount of time that he has being working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ah just after seeing that I needed to have earned under a certain amount in a given tax year. Because of my maternity leave pay from work I would have exceeded this. So don't think I can claim for this.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement