Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No place for my 6 year old rotweiller

• 22-11-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

After 6 years renting I had to move apartments today and cant take my dog, I know nobody that can take her and I have no idea what im going to do with her. She is very friendly and trained but it will break my heart to have to give her to the local dog pound

has anyone been in a similar situation and what did they do? :confused:

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can you not find anywhere that will allow you to bring your dog? Offer a pet deposit if need be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is it not possible to find suitable accommodation where you can bring your dog? After six years you owe it to the dog to find both of you a home. Failing that contact the breeder and see if they can help you rehome the dog. Do not leave the dog in the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

It is a complicated story...

I split from my ex 4 years ago and left but would walk and feed the dog every day in the 4 years. I got a phone call today from my ex to say she has left and moved on and to take the dog. I had no option but to take her today and she is in my apartment now.

however Im working, have a child and apartment has a strict no pet policy in force. Im risking having her here for the weekend as it is

As harsh as I sound, Im very upset over this but I cant lose my apartment when I have a child. I wont take her to a pound but I see no other option

I would even walk and feed the dog if someone in the area or anywhere could take her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Your pound is one that does not rehome restricted breeds to the general public. They will probably honestly tell you when you ring that she will be destroyed, surrenders only have 24 hours grace and with the public unable to adopt her and rescues bursting at the seams her chances will be slim to none.

Sorry if that seems harsh but it's the truth.

Have you tried any rescues? I would get a wriggle on if I were you as most places stop rehoming in the next couple of weeks until January and so are very limited in the number of dogs they can take in.

Is your apartment rented? No way you can move into a house??

• Advertisement

yes renting, problem is I have been checking last few weeks on a separate matter and there are no houses to rent in my price range at the moment and location

I wont do anything rash over the weekend and exhaust all options before I come to a decision

Feel terrible

Toulouse wrote: »
    Your pound is one that does not rehome restricted breeds to the general public. They will probably honestly tell you when you ring that she will be destroyed, surrenders only have 24 hours grace and with the public unable to adopt her and rescues bursting at the seams her chances will be slim to none.

Sorry if that seems harsh but it's the truth.

Have you tried any rescues? I would get a wriggle on if I were you as most places stop rehoming in the next couple of weeks until January and so are very limited in the number of dogs they can take in.

thanks, she was born with terrible hips, actually deformed hips as I got xrays so her back legs are effectively lame. she can still walk and run with no difficulties as she is on metacam the last few years

So Im thinking nobody would/will want her. Id even pay for the medicine whenever she needs it

Not looking good is it?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You just never know!

Try the lead I sent you, at the very least it's worth a shot. Just be as upfront as you have been here and at least then you'll know you've tried your best for her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You can always put her in boarding kennels for a week or two to give yourself some wriggle room, it'll keep the landlord off your back and allow you weigh up more options, giving you time to give these options the consideration they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Good suggestions here, and whatever you do, if you have absolutely no options left - rather you take her to the vet and have her euthanised then leave it to the pound. Her chances of getting out would be slim to none.

I was stuck with a Rottie last year, which had to go to/through the pound for legal reasons - she was a very sweet tempered dog but she was a kennel guarder - so she had absolutely no hope there. It took nearly a forthnight but eventually I got in touch with a breed rescue in the UK, and they organised someone here to get her out. She was younger though and didn't have any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Why not try a couple of charities. Google dog charities and contact them before you take any rash decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP, Toulouse is correct if you can genuinely help it, don't surrender her to a Pound. A "surrender" is legally allowed only 24hrs before being put to sleep.

Maybe I've missed it but I don't know where you're based but please check out the list of Rescues (as per our Charter) , post on Facebook, get your friends to share on Facebook. You will be very surprised what people will help you with when you ask for help. I've seen literally miracles happen by the power of social media. Use it. PM me her details and I'll even help you.

Please let us know how you get on ;)

Just to clarify, dogs surrendered into the pound have NO legal protection from being euthanased immediately. Some pounds give them a few hours', days', or weeks' grace, but they are under no legal obligation to do so.

DBB wrote: »
    Just to clarify, dogs surrendered into the pound have NO legal protection from being euthanased immediately. Some pounds give them a few hours', days', or weeks' grace, but they are under no legal obligation to do so.
    Seriously?

I had heard dogs were put down if "full", but was always under the impression it was a 24hr rule (at a min)

Jesus even worse if that's the case.

Ill keep everyone updated and dog pound is definitely not going to happen, was a little ignorant about them before reading this thread

Ironically I pay 12e a month the last 6 years to <snip>, so Ill contact them

thanks for all the responses

anniehoo wrote: »
    Seriously?

I had heard dogs were put down if "full", but was always under the impression it was a 24hr rule (at a min)

No, and some pounds do put dogs to sleep as soon as they arrive. The only legal timeframe which must be observed is 5 days for stray dogs. Anything outside, or over and above that is entirely down to the goodwill, or lack of in some cases, of the individual pound manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Seriously?

No, they can literally be taken in and put down straight away :(

No, and some pounds do put dogs to sleep as soon as they arrive. The only legal timeframe which must be observed is 5 days for stray dogs. Anything outside, or over and above that is entirely down to the goodwill, or lack of in some cases, of the individual pound manager.
    No, they can literally be taken in and put down straight away :(

Do you know what! I already knew that, but volunteering for a fantastic charity (Toulouse ;)) I got majorly complacent on that fact because they are so good.

have rang a few places and no luck so far, most understandably are only interested in people enquiring about dogs to rehome.

Have asked on FB to any of my friends if they know anyone trustworthy

My ex partner has a friend who lives in the inner south of the city who said he would take her. He already has a dog (boxer) and from what I could gather the dog would be sleeping in a shed type area out in the back

I would really need to see everything before I come to a decision as it will be a huge shock for my dog regardless. I know Im sounding picky when there is a possible solution but I couldn't bare the thought of her not being happy in an environment she is not used to.

It might not be so bad though if I managed to walk her everyday and go past the house?

have rang a few places and no luck so far, most understandably are only interested in people enquiring about dogs to rehome.

Have asked on FB to any of my friends if they know anyone trustworthy

My ex partner has a friend who lives in the inner south of the city who said he would take her. He already has a dog (boxer) and from what I could gather the dog would be sleeping in a shed type area out in the back

I would really need to see everything before I come to a decision as it will be a huge shock for my dog regardless. I know Im sounding picky when there is a possible solution but I couldn't bare the thought of her not being happy in an environment she is not used to.

It might not be so bad though if I managed to walk her everyday and go past the house?

I think you've every right to be cautious. I would check any prospective home VERY carefully. Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You say you hope youre not sounding picky OP but you need to be picky. Dont rehome your dog unless you are 100% sure. She has medical problems too so needs extra special care. Nothing could be worse than re-homing a dog to a bad home.

Yes will make 100% sure I am satisfied, problem is I cant have her much longer than what I have. Time is literally run out as it is -Im hoping to get a phone call from a friend who breeds dogs and thinks he might know of someone who could take her.

I know the dog will be lost either way in strange surroundings so im hoping she is nearby so I can walk her most days if not every day and see her

Never thought I would need to give a dog up, but things happen in life unfortunately

I'll give you my perspective on things, as someone who runs a small rescue, with regard to the original owner still having access to their dog after they've surrendered it.
    I don't allow it... simple as. I think it's unfair on the new owner.. it's their dog now. It's also not particularly fair on the dog as it slows down the adjustment process, and must be confusing for them, particularly if you can't commit to keeping her in a routine every day.
    Maybe you'll find somebody who'll allow this no-man's-land situation to happen, but you need to ask yourself if this is the right thing to do for your dog, as opposed to for yourself.
    Again, this business of you being under severe pressure to place her is really worrying, and will mean you cannot take the time you need to really do things right... I already suggested that you put her into private kennels for a while. Is this not an option?
    Sorry of this appears harsh OP, but perhaps a wake-up call as to the realities of trying to rehome a dog with as little hassle for the dog as possible. If this means that you have to go through a lot of hassle yourself, so be it.

How did you get on with contacting the charity that you've been donating to for 6 years?

Did you work through the list of rescues/charities I linked to above?

I did send you a PM, so I will gladly help you if you reply ;)

I'll give you my perspective on things, as someone who runs a small rescue, with regard to the original owner still having access to their dog after they've surrendered it.
    I don't allow it... simple as. I think it's unfair on the new owner.. it's their dog now. It's also not particularly fair on the dog as it slows down the adjustment process, and must be confusing for them, particularly if you can't commit to keeping her in a routine every day.
    Maybe you'll find somebody who'll allow this no-man's-land situation to happen, but you need to ask yourself if this is the right thing to do for your dog, as opposed to for yourself.
    Again, this business of you being under severe pressure to place her is really worrying, and will mean you cannot take the time you need to really do things right... I already suggested that you put her into private kennels for a while. Is this not an option?
    Sorry of this appears harsh OP, but perhaps a wake-up call as to the realities of trying to rehome a dog with as little hassle for the dog as possible. If this means that you have to go through a lot of hassle yourself, so be it.

Yes it does sound a little harsh. Im more than willing to let the new owner get on with it and never see the dog again, I was just thinking if someone didn't want to walk the dog or feed it then I could do that. I was just going back to when my ex kept him and I would go past to walk her everyday as my ex wasn't able to. It was just an offer not a request

as for kennels, Im not rolling in the cash at the moment, rent, child minding fees, after school fees, im a lone parent working and paying out a lot of outgoings

Being under pressure maybe really worrying to you, but that is the situation Im under,if I wasn't I wouldn't be looking for suggestions

No wake up call needed, Im always on the ball, this situation was landed on me Friday afternoon it is now mon morning

thanks for the post though

How did you get on with contacting the charity that you've been donating to for 6 years?

Did you work through the list of rescues/charities I linked to above?

I did send you a PM, so I will gladly help you if you reply ;)

Unfortunately, they wont take dogs in , purely rehoming dogs

have been going through your charities with limited luck so far, but I very much appreciate the help you have given me

Yes it does sound a little harsh. Im more than willing to let the new owner get on with it and never see the dog again, I was just thinking if someone didn't want to walk the dog or feed it then I could do that.

This is what I'm talking about when I say I'm concerned op.... Why would you give your dog to someone who doesn't want to walk or feed it?
    I'm glad you're more than willing to not have access to the dog any more, but this is the first time you've mentioned this. I can only go with what you post op, you mentioned more than once about continuing to visit the dog.
    as for kennels, Im not rolling in the cash at the moment, rent, child minding fees, after school fees, im a lone parent working and paying out a lot of outgoings

You said you were willing to do anything, said you'd pay for her meds etc. You never stipulated that money was an issue, and you didn't reply to my suggestion. Again, I can only go by what you post, not what you don't.

Being under pressure maybe really worrying to you, but that is the situation Im under,if I wasn't I wouldn't be looking for suggestions

Yes, it is worrying to me, because from what you've posted I can see that the pressure you're under seems to be causing you to potentially make rash decisions., cf your post about giving her to someone who doesn't want to walk or feed her. Your words op, I can only go by what you tell us.
    I do appreciate you're trying to sort out a sticky situation here, and that you got landed in it, but with huge experience of rehoming dogs, I and others here can tell you that the process can be riddled with risks, especially when desperation comes into the equation. I hope you can get a reputable rescue to help you soon, because they'll be largely able to recognise and avoid the pitfalls associated with the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The pound will likely euthanaise her. Leaving her there will be a death sentence for her. Try a rescue. Plenty of them have no kill policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Knine, how long would that keep the dog in kennels for?

Power_pants, have you any family that would be able to help and take her in for a few weeks? That might give you the space to be able to either find alternative accommodation that would allow you to keep the dog. Ideally, this may be the best solution for you all?
    Or are there breed specific recuses that might be able to help find a new home for her?

Either way, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I think your best bet is pulling on the heart strings of someone else who loves the breed. With that in mind, try this Facebook page. You may have to ask permission (there is a gmail address also). Take some great photos, and really sell her good points. Hopefully many will like and share it and she may be seen by a RW enthusiast. It has quite a large target list. Best of luck!

https://www.facebook.com/IrishRottweilersForAdoption?fref=ts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement