Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No place for my 6 year old rotweiller

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Rang almost all the shelters and rescue homes now. Most have been honest upfront and said no chance and some will come back to me in due course. The factors which are going against her apart from lack of spaces in the centres are her age, breed and ongoing medical condition.

the majority of the places are suggesting I put her down. Im still ringing around friends and putting up ads wherever I can think off, but its not looking too good now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Rang almost all the shelters and rescue homes now. Most have been honest upfront and said no chance and some will come back to me in due course. The factors which are going against her apart from lack of spaces in the centres are her age, breed and ongoing medical condition.

the majority of the places are suggesting I put her down. Im still ringing around friends and putting up ads wherever I can think off, but its not looking too good now

I find that hard to believe tbh. Plenty of shelters have no kill policies.

believe it or don't believe it. just because a shelter themselves doesn't put down dogs doesn't mean they wont suggest it

If you don't have anything to contribute to the thread, no real point in posting is there?

believe it or don't believe it. just because a shelter themselves doesn't put down dogs doesn't mean they wont suggest it

Also its strange, how they pass on numbers but stress not under any circumstances tell the place who gave you the number etc

Anyway, glad people are questioning every post I put up, I think my mind is made up - going to put her down and be done with it

thanks everyone for all your help and less so to others

Mods, may as well close the thread

thanks

Its not about wanting to believe or not, its just that I dont. I have worked extensively with animal rescues and charities and it is very unlikely that you were told this. I suspect you are looking for a reaction from softy boards users who you think will go running to you now saying oh dont kill her I will take her. Emotional blackmail. You should be ashamed of yourself. Taking on a dog is a big responsibility and now you will make her pay with her life for your own inability to do the right thing. Gods sake even leave her outside a shelter and wash your hands of her. Nobody will judge you. They will take her in and at least give her some chance.

hahahaha what absolute nonsense. I am not emotionally anyone on this forum to take her off my hands. What a stupid thing to say

You are right im off to the vets today, 148euro all in and they take the body too

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Its not about wanting to believe or not, its just that I dont. I have worked extensively with animal rescues and charities and it is very unlikely that you were told this. I suspect you are looking for a reaction from softy boards users who you think will go running to you now saying oh dont kill her I will take her. Emotional blackmail. You should be ashamed of yourself. Taking on a dog is a big responsibility and now you will make her pay with her life for your own inability to do the right thing. Gods sake even leave her outside a shelter and wash your hands of her. Nobody will judge you. They will take her in and at least give her some chance.

I am with this poster. You cant just put her down because she is now a burden. You would not just put a child down because they have become a burden. How dare you. You took on the responsibility of that dogs life when you bought her, if you keep looking you will find her a home and if not give her into a shelter.

If it were me, I would be looking for somewhere else to live where dogs were allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Actually some welfare organisations and rescues that live in the real world, and deal with unwanted dogs every day will suggest to an owner that they take the dog to a vet and have it pts humanely with someone they know with them. That, believe it or not, is a preferable option than for a dog to end up in a pound, do its 5 days, if it gets that long, and is then pts by strangers in an unknown environment. At least if the owner takes the dog to the vet, the dog does just go to sleep, in a pound, they know the smell of the 'death room'.

power pants, if you are going to take the dog to the vet to be pts, take something really tasty along and feed her while she slips away, at least that way her last moments are nice ones.

An awful position to be in, best of luck with whatever happens.

a shelter will only put her down, they told me as much

Im not going to argue with everyone on here. Ive made my decision

thanks

logik wrote: »
    I am with this poster. You cant just put her down because she is now a burden. You would not just put a child down because they have become a burden. How dare you. You took on the responsibility of that dogs life when you bought her, if you keep looking you will find her a home and if not give her into a shelter.

I dont think the poster wants a home, I think she is looking for absolution for having the dog destroyed. Sad that there are people like this in the world.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Actually some welfare organisations and rescues that live in the real world, and deal with unwanted dogs every day will suggest to an owner that they take the dog to a vet and have it pts humanely with someone they know with them. That, believe it or not, is a preferable option than for a dog to end up in a pound, do its 5 days, if it gets that long, and is then pts by strangers in an unknown environment. At least if the owner takes the dog to the vet, the dog does just go to sleep, in a pound, they know the smell of the 'death room'.

power pants, if you are going to take the dog to the vet to be pts, take something really tasty along and feed her while she slips away, at least that way her last moments are nice ones.

For the dog, maybe.

• Advertisement

a shelter will only put her down, they told me as much

Im not going to argue with everyone on here. Ive made my decision

thanks

Which ones? I have worked for two that have no kill policies. I can PM you their details.

Thanks. I have tried a lot of places, people, friends, neighbours etc and could not come up with anything

my dog is 6 years old, needs constant medical treatment which is expensive the last 4 years now, and is considered a "dangerous breed"

I was told, whether people choose to believe or not that the chances of the dog being rehomed was virtually zero

One shelter told me yesterday they typically deal with 12 cases a week and at the moment it is 100 cases a week

It will be upsetting to do this, but such is life unfortunately

For the dog, maybe.

No actually, for the dog and the OP, re-read the thread maybe, and see the situation.

The sad fact is that rescues are so pushed with healthy, young dogs that they can't rehome, that a dog like this would have no chance of finding a new home. Of course the OP should be able to find somewhere to live that will allow them to take the dog, but apparently finding anywhere to rent in Dublin now is like finding gold.

OP I will pm you a rescue that has a real soft spot for rotties.

I dont think the poster wants a home, I think she is looking for absolution for having the dog destroyed. Sad that there are people like this in the world.

I think you should stop assuming things.

Can you leave out the personal attacks:confused:

Thanks. I have tried a lot of places, people, friends, neighbours etc and could not come up with anything

my dog is 6 years old, needs constant medical treatment which is expensive the last 4 years now, and is considered a "dangerous breed"

I was told, whether people choose to believe or not that the chances of the dog being rehomed was virtually zero

One shelter told me yesterday they typically deal with 12 cases a week and at the moment it is 100 cases a week

It will be upsetting to do this, but such is life unfortunately

Its "restricted breed" not "dangerous breed".

Are you not interested in me PM'ing you the details I have for no kill shelters?? Because if not, then I think that says it all.

Which ones? I have worked for two that have no kill policies. I can PM you their details.

The OP is not saying the shelter will kill the dog, but that they have no room, and it would preferable for the dog to be pts by the owner, rather than in a pound.

No actually, for the dog and the OP, re-read the thread maybe, and see the situation.

The sad fact is that rescues are so pushed with healthy, young dogs that they can't rehome, that a dog like this would have no chance of finding a new home. Of course the OP should be able to find somewhere to live that will allow them to take the dog, but apparently finding anywhere to rent in Dublin now is like finding gold.

OP I will pm you a rescue that has a real soft spot for rotties.

Many thanks, is it the one in Dundalk? I contacted them yesterday and waiting on a response, was via email as another shelter that gave me the details did not have their phone number (wouldn't give)

hahahaha what absolute nonsense. I am not emotionally anyone on this forum to take her off my hands. What a stupid thing to say

You are right im off to the vets today, 148euro all in and they take the body too

thanks

Listen to yourself, you are now speaking as though you could not give a crap about the dog. Disgusting...

Remember, you came here looking for advice on what to do. You sound heartless now, if thats how you felt, why bother posting here at all?

Have you even tried donedeal?

Many thanks, is it the one in Dundalk? I contacted them yesterday and waiting on a response, was via email as another shelter that gave me the details did not have their phone number (wouldn't give)

Are you based in Dundalk? Have you tried <snip>?

As per the forum charter, any recommendations for animal rescues must be made by pm only.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Its "restricted breed" not "dangerous breed".

Are you not interested in me PM'ing you the details I have for no kill shelters?? Because if not, then I think that says it all.

Yes, I got the term wrong. I have made that many phone calls the last few days, small details might become mixed up

No. thanks anyway though

• Advertisement

Listen to yourself, you are now speaking as though you could not give a crap about the dog. Disgusting...

Remember, you came here looking for advice on what to do. You sound heartless now, if thats how you felt, why bother posting here at all?

Really? donedeal? For a 6 year old rottie? I would take the dog to the vet to be pts rather than go that way and have her possibly end up torn apart as a bait dog.

Here we go, this is going to transcend into an argument with all you lot

Im not heartless, far from it. Im a little annoyed by that poster with his assumptions

What is disgusting? don't get personal now;)

I think you should stop assuming things.

Can you leave out the personal attacks:confused:

They are not personal attacks. They are my opinion. People are trying to help you and you are not interested so why else are you posting?? I have offered twice now to PM you details of two charities that I have personally worked with in the past and all you keep saying is "oh they all told me to have her pts" - really? you called every shelter? and every shelter said that? Amazing. Like I said, you can surrender her to a shelter and walk away. Nobody will judge you and you are at least giving her a chance. I dont know why this idea is so abhorrent to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is that the same one I gave you a few days back? If so the phone number is on the website under the contact us section.

Yes, I got the term wrong. I have made that many phone calls the last few days, small details might become mixed up

No. thanks anyway though

why?

If your rottie is IKC reg and you got her as a pup, have you contacted her breeder? If it is a reputable one, they will take her back, no matter how old she is, or what medical condition she has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Are you based in Dundalk?

I've edited the quote as rescues should not be mentioned but no way would I send her there.

Seriously, your two suggestions have been pretty poor. There are worse things in this world for a dog than being pts in the arms of your owner. Donedeal and that place would be a couple of worse things I could think of.

Final words on this

Im a lone parent, I work. When I left the family home 4 years ago I walked the dog 365 days a year, paid all medical bills, dog food etc. The dog was in a house and a garden.

Since last week the house is now gone, leaving me with no notice, the dog in my small apartment with my young daughter

The dog is 6 years old, needs constant medical treatment and a "restricted" breed. In the real life from phoning many many places -Unfortunately the news about being rehomed or a happy ending is not good

As for done deal, I have not bothered with this as any clown will be phoning up for a "fighting dog"

I have 2 choices, keep the dog and end up homeless for breaking my tenancy. I don't think this would be a great idea when I have a daughter to raise

or if I have exhausted all possibilities to unfortunately put the dog to sleep

That is the decision I have made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

i'm a bit shocked and actually cant believe that rescue organizations suggested to put her down (if i got that right!)

I know one organization who would absolutely take her in!
    Its in Kilkenny <snip>, please contact them, they have loads of follower and they can share a picture and ask for help for you.
    Please do that , u find them on Facebook and can reach them best via Facebook msg.

Mod note: do not recommend individual animal rescues on-thread, as per the forum charter. Please do so by pm only.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

If your rottie is IKC reg and you got her as a pup, have you contacted her breeder? If it is a reputable one, they will take her back, no matter how old she is, or what medical condition she has.

unfortunately not. She was brought from across the road when she was only a couple of months old with no papers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement