Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No place for my 6 year old rotweiller

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Final words on this

Im a lone parent, I work. When I left the family home 4 years ago I walked the dog 365 days a year, paid all medical bills, dog food etc. The dog was in a house and a garden.

Since last week the house is now gone, leaving me with no notice, the dog in my small apartment with my young daughter

The dog is 6 years old, needs constant medical treatment and a "restricted" breed. In the real life from phoning many many places -Unfortunately the news about being rehomed or a happy ending is not good

As for done deal, I have not bothered with this as any clown will be phoning up for a "fighting dog"

I have 2 choices, keep the dog and end up homeless for breaking my tenancy. I don't think this would be a great idea when I have a daughter to raise

or if I have exhausted all possibilities to unfortunately put the dog to sleep

That is the decision I have made

Unsubscribing now because people like you depress me.

For what its worth I think the poor dog would be better off without you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

celica00 wrote: »
    i'm a bit shocked and actually cant believe that rescue organizations suggested to put her down (if i got that right!)

I know one organization who would absolutely take her in!
    Its in Kilkenny <snip> please contact them, they have loads of follower and they can share a picture and ask for help for you.
    Please do that to, u find them on Facebook and can reach them best via Facebook msg.

I have contacted many, and SOME have suggested this, the local vets have suggested this too. I will definitely contact this place in Kilkenny, many thanks for the details.

OldNotWIse wrote: »

You depress me too

I think so too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Can you take the dog on?

OP, that rescue is not in Kilkenny, and personally I would never send an animal there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

horrible to hear :(

I would also post pictures on their sites so people can see her and maybe someone takes her in.
    I understand your situation but its not as hopeless for the dog as you think.
    Ive seen dogs being taken in in far worse condition or way older and pure breeds are always wanted (even tho she has a handicap)
    Please dont give up on her and try the power of FB, i really can end well!
    i would love to help if i could but already have two dogs and im renting too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I dont think the poster wants a home, I think she is looking for absolution for having the dog destroyed. Sad that there are people like this in the world.

I think you are being really harsh. The op wouldn't have posted at all if they weren't trying to rehome. Of the bank of possible adoptive homes, you can slash that by a sizeable amount as the dog is a restricted breed, and almost wipe out the small number you are left with because of the medical issues.

OP, try the Facebook page. I hope someone steps forward, but if not, give the dog as peaceful an exit from this world as possible.

Yes, some of these shelters I wouldn't have any real knowledge to how they look or don't look after the dog. This is going to sound harsh but what life would she have in a place that she was alone and not really cared for. If I have her put down, she will have had 6 great years and wont have a miserable existence until her last moments which she wont know about

I don't mean to sound cruel, but it is all very easy for people to come on and get angry when I mentioned putting the dog down. I spent over 2k on x rays, initial medicines, treatments around 4 years ago and due to the extent of her hips being that deformed it was suggested then to put her down. I didn't

She has no ligament or cartridge in 2 of her back legs which are lame, the ball and socket of her hip bones are flat and not even shaped as they should be. However providing she is on her daily medicine she can run , go walks for over an hour and appear 100% fit and healthy

Would a shelter provide her daily medical assistance ? Maybe some would or some wouldn't

As I say this is upsetting for me making this deicision, but I need to be realistic. Perhaps I failed the dog or perhaps I have tried my best

I posted on FB last night, so will see.

Im just a little upset, cold sounding due to the poster challenging every decision, help I have gone for. I realise whenever mentioning putting a dog to sleep will upset people but this was never about emotionally blackmailing people - that actually angered me tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't think there's anything more to be gained by keeping this thread open.
    If I said any more on the issues I have with some of the things I've read here, including posts that have had swift ninja-edits done on them by their author before anyone else got to see what they said, I'd get myself banned.
    In addition, the behaviour of one or two posters was disgraceful, but not once was the report function used. I should go back and issue cards for the bitchiness, and the copious back-seat moderation, and even the trolliness, but I've wasted enough of my time with this thread already.
    Thread closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement