Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times "journalism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

insecure man attempts to be manly

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Such a badly written, juvenile piece of 'journalism'
    Yawn. Next!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As a person who eats meat, I find that piece ignorant, juvenile, sexist, anti English and just downright stupid. Does he really get paid to write that drivel?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Also as a meat eater, that is one of the worst articles I've ever read. Irish Times is really slipping if it's come to complete rubbish like that. Did he knock that up in 5 minutes? That's what it reads like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Moronic to say the least......when this guy says he enjoys sport, I can only presume he means sitting watching it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It basically reads like "I'm a man. I have sex and eat meat so I'm a man. I'm insecure about myself so mock others. Did I tell you I'm not a virgin?".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think that guy has more people that pity him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Headline alone is embarassing,NUTS magazine level stuff.

He should hand back his NUJ card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Even John Waters writes better than that load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

As an ex-veg*n, I found this piece unbelievably ignorant. He seems to think meat is universally appealing. For a long time I was genuinely grossed out by meat and it was a struggle for me to start eating it again. I found a vegan diet enjoyable and easy. The points he makes in favour of meat-eating could be pulled from one of those satirical "meat eaters bingo" things. Extremely simplistic and lacking in any real argumentation. I doubt he gives a hoot about veganism either way. Just another slow day in the news.

• Advertisement

Also as a meat eater, that is one of the worst articles I've ever read. Irish Times is really slipping if it's come to complete rubbish like that. Did he knock that up in 5 minutes? That's what it reads like.
    It's like that question you answer in the last few minutes of an exam because you need the attempt marks so you scrawl down every bit of disparate info you've ever heard about the subject regardless of whether it's relevant to the question and just end up making jokes because you've realized there is no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    It basically reads like "I'm a man. I have sex and eat meat so I'm a man. I'm insecure about myself so mock others. Did I tell you I'm not a virgin?".

You forgot the bit about liking sport - you can't be a real man unless you like sport and sport means watching football/rugby/GAA, not some poncey sport you actually take part in on a regular basis.

folamh wrote: »
    As an ex-veg*n,
    OT - why do people write "vegan" this way? I see it all over the place.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    OT - why do people write "vegan" this way? I see it all over the place.

It means 'vegan or vegetarian'

folamh wrote: »
    It means 'vegan or vegetarian'
    Ohhhhhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

"we have a great food culture and its based on meat"

We do? News to me.

All those classic irish dishes known around the world, such as .....eh.......imported Danish sausages....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

The article is a load of rubbish and his grammar is awful. What a douche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We're a race of carnivores are we? I guess he pities vegetarians the same way I pity Thicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I just feel sorry for his very small and closed mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

In fairness to the IT there's an article today from a resident veggie. He even tries to paper over the cracks of his collegues article but fails..

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/why-am-i-vegetarian-distrust-of-the-meat-industry-and-there-s-just-no-need-to-eat-flesh-1.1608106

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

That guy needs to go to the gym and put the burgers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    In fairness to the IT there's an article today from a resident veggie. He even tries to paper over the cracks of his collegues article but fails..

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/why-am-i-vegetarian-distrust-of-the-meat-industry-and-there-s-just-no-need-to-eat-flesh-1.1608106

Didn't the author of the original piece flounce off twitter because of the bad response to his MEAT piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Didn't the author of the original piece flounce off twitter because of the bad response to his MEAT piece?

he got a lot of flack from all corners and ran away pretty quickly all right. His editor tried to defend the piece (and presumably his own future career) but he ran too... Both should be looking for other jobs really. Way out of their depth. There are talented journalists out there in need of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

One thing that annoys me is that he calls veganism "the Taliban of food"... it's mostly cúnts like him that keep going on about what people eat.

Advertisement