Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMERGENCY - Code Red Cabbage

Options
  • 22-11-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have promised to cook a smashing red cabbage dish for a big communal Christmas dinner (early I know) tomorrow afternoon. I have all of the ingredients for my mothers magic recipe except....red cabbage. Have tried all the supermarkets around donnybrook ranelagh etc and can't find it.

There are fruit and veg shops on grand canal street and in sandy mount which I will try first thing.

Any other suggestions if those fail? Moore street?

Or have I missed something? It's hardly out of season?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You're more likely to get helpful replies here in the Dublin City forum.

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Try Polish and Asian shops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm pretty sure it's in season now so you'll probably get it in Moore Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Have you tried Fallon and Byrne? Would be the place I'd look first!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

How I miss red cabbage in Ireland.....
    Fallon & Byrne used to have some recently.
    I didn't spot any in Moore Street but you should also get lucky in the Asian and Polish shops in around Mary Street.
    Lidl has pickled red cabbage in jars, seen them today but never tried it,

And last but not least, Superquinn at Heuston Quarter has bags of frozen, chopped red cabbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

I bought one two weeks ago at the Temple Bar Food Market. Saturdays at the Meeting House Square, good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know its not perfect. But Lidl/aldi sells it in jars. But I imagine its pickled like sauerkraut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can get prepared cabbage in both Superquinn/Supervalu and Tesco, that you shove in the oven for a half hour and it's pretty nice too.

Advertisement