Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One NAT thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

sky23 wrote: »
    hmm isn't that what you press for the "make xbox360 games play on xb1 " prank that actually just turns it into a dev kit and then bricks it?

Well I've never heard of that... And mine is not bricked. To be honest all this does is make the xbox one show the results of the multiplayer test connection. It brings up the...
    Download speed
    Upload speed
    Ping
    MTU
    Resistance percentage
    And packet loss
    I'm not out to screw with anyone this genuinely worked for me.
    I'm a YouTuber and if you Search my boards handle you will find my channel. If this causes anyone's machine to "brick" then contact me and I will put all my time into helping them find a soloution... But in reality nobody will have to contact me because I've done this countless times...
    I have both the XB1 and the PS4. When I switch over console I change the Port forward config setup too. So obviously when ever I switch back to my XB1 I end up using this method..
    I cancel the ports being forwarded for PS4 on port config.
    I forward the XB1 port setup. I go to my XB1 follow the method I mentioned before
    Test multiplayer connection
    Wen test is good press LB LT RB RT all together.
    This brings up the test results.
    I return to the network page
    NAT reads open.
    I have done this countless times and my console hasn't 'bricked'

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

Pegasus177 wrote: »
    Well I've never heard of that... And mine is not bricked. To be honest all this does is make the xbox one show the results of the multiplayer test connection. It brings up the...
    Download speed
    Upload speed
    Ping
    MTU
    Resistance percentage
    And packet loss
    I'm not out to screw with anyone this genuinely worked for me.
    I'm a YouTuber and if you Search my boards handle you will find my channel. If this causes anyone's machine to "brick" then contact me and I will put all my time into helping them find a soloution... But in reality nobody will have to contact me because I've done this countless times...
    I have both the XB1 and the PS4. When I switch over console I change the Port forward config setup too. So obviously when ever I switch back to my XB1 I end up using this method..
    I cancel the ports being forwarded for PS4 on port config.
    I forward the XB1 port setup. I go to my XB1 follow the method I mentioned before
    Test multiplayer connection
    Wen test is good press LB LT RB RT all together.
    This brings up the test results.
    I return to the network page
    NAT reads open.
    I have done this countless times and my console hasn't 'bricked'

no worries :) wasn't accusing you of screwing anyone. just looked familiar as i remember that prank that was going around when the xb1 came out i'm just very overproctective of my shiny new xb1 so i was just double checking in case i accidently brick it. after goggling though it does look like you have to do a few more things after hitting those buttons to actually brick your device so the button combination has other functions. will try that as i have still not being able to get the nat open

sky23 wrote: »
    no worries :) wasn't accusing you of screwing anyone. just looked familiar as i remember that prank that was going around when the xb1 came out i'm just very overproctective of my shiny new xb1 so i was just double checking in case i accidently brick it. after goggling though it does look like you have to do a few more things after hitting those buttons to actually brick your device so the button combination has other functions. will try that as i have still not being able to get the nat open

Well it is worth a try, I have a slightly better than aeverage idea of networks and I had gone through every possible avenue with no result.
    When this was suggested to me I kind of laughed to myself because I had little hope for the method but it actually really did work for me and still does right now.
    I can only guess that by testing and displaying the results,.. updates the systems info and makes it realise that .."actually yes the right ports are forwarded and the NAT is open"
    One thing to add
    The one time this method did not work for me I contacted MS support.
    The support staff memeber advised me to hold the power button on the front of the console for 15 seconds.. This emptied the system cache. I then powered off the modem and xbox for 30 seconds.. Went back on and tried my method again and it worked.
    Good luck and I hope this works for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I concur,Ive been using the test multiplayer and hold down the bumpers and triggers after the test for the last two months and it corrected my NAT to open.I actually posted the video somewhere in this thread a few pages back.

Literally tried ever method known trying to get the ports open and nothing has worked.My nat is always moderate when i turn on the console but is solved in less than a minute with the test.Not that moderate NAT matters anyway because im still able to party chat and play bf4 so it hasnt really affected me at all.

EDIT: found it

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tcite

Still no joy from this end. Some appear to be over-lapping from the 360 (3074 port being an obvious one)

If I removed the xbox 360 settings, would that cause anarchy with connection to xbox live?

• Advertisement

tcite wrote: »
    Still no joy from this end. Some appear to be over-lapping from the 360 (3074 port being an obvious one)

If I removed the xbox 360 settings, would that cause anarchy with connection to xbox live?

I'd recommend removing them, I stopped forwarding the 360 ports and started over. I do the same when I'm switching back and forth between PS4 and XB1

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXDarkstarXx

I concur,Ive been using the test multiplayer and hold down the bumpers and triggers after the test for the last two months and it corrected my NAT to open.I actually posted the video somewhere in this thread a few pages back.

Literally tried ever method known trying to get the ports open and nothing has worked.My nat is always moderate when i turn on the console but is solved in less than a minute with the test.Not that moderate NAT matters anyway because im still able to party chat and play bf4 so it hasnt really affected me at all.

EDIT: found it

I've been using this also the last couple of days. I have the Cisco EPC3925 with UPC and it's always moderate with the Xbox One. We have two 360's in the house also and never had any problem. Tried the guide a couple of pages ago, but it would'nt let me open one of the ports for some reason. Will they be able to fix this in the new dashboard update by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I've been using this also the last couple of days. I have the Cisco EPC3925 with UPC and it's always moderate with the Xbox One. We have two 360's in the house also and never had any problem. Tried the guide a couple of pages ago, but it would'nt let me open one of the ports for some reason. Will they be able to fix this in the new dashboard update by any chance?
    The 360's weren't as strict as the XB1 when it comes to NAT. Which port will not open?

Which guide did you follow a couple of pages ago?
    When you have the ports opened minus 1 are you plugging out both the XB1 and your router for 30 seconds before powering them up and checking the network settings?

The 360's weren't as strict as the XB1 when it comes to NAT. Which port will not open?

Which guide did you follow a couple of pages ago?
    When you have the ports opened minus 1 are you plugging out both the XB1 and your router for 30 seconds before powering them up and checking the network settings?

I think it was port 80. I was trying to use the guide that Failsafe posted up on page 3. Yep I unplugged both of them, and powered them back up. Kept getting message saying 'ports are not open, try again'

I think it was port 80. I was trying to use the guide that Failsafe posted up on page 3. Yep I unplugged both of them, and powered them back up. Kept getting message saying 'ports are not open, try again'
    Grand, I was checking if it was my guide.

I found after having both Xbox 360 consoles on my router I had to go back to square one to reconfig for the Xbox One.

Have you tried resetting your router. Its usually holding in the reset button for up to 30 seconds.

Is your router connected to the Xbox by cable or are you using wireless?
    What security setting are you using? WPA2, WEP, etc.

• Advertisement

Grand, I was checking if it was my guide.

I found after having both Xbox 360 consoles on my router I had to go back to square one to reconfig for the Xbox One.

Have you tried resetting your router. Its usually holding in the reset button for up to 30 seconds.

Is your router connected to the Xbox by cable or are you using wireless?
    What security setting are you using? WPA2, WEP, etc.

Yes I've tried resetting the router and flipping the switch at the back also. I'm using wireless, the router is downstairs and I have the xbox upstairs, so cable isn't an option. Not too sure what security setting I have, as I'm in work now but I'll check when I get home later. In the meantime the trigger and bumper method is working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For netopia, you will need to lower your firewall in the router settings.

The forwarded ports should be specifically pointing to the Xbox IP address. With an automatic IP address on the Xbox your router could assign it a different IP address every time its connected to the internet which would make the port forwards invalid.

Step 1: On the Xbox go to network settings --> advanced settings on the Xbox. With a pen and paper write down what you see on the right hand side of your screen. This should include IP address, Subnet mask and Gateway. Write down these 3 address.

Step 2: Switch your Xbox IP address to manual. It will now ask you to enter the 3 addresses that you wrote down so fill these in. That is everything sorted on the Xbox end of things.

Step 3: In your router admin go to your Firewall settings and lower the firewall, if an option says low, click it.

(When working with your router make sure you wire your PC/laptop into it so when you are changing things you dont lose your connection to the router)
    Step 4: Go to the port forward settings and enter the following ports.
    Make sure each port is using the Xbox IP address that you wrote down at step 1.

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)
    Port 500 (UDP)
    UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
    UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

Save the new settings.

Step 5: Unplug the Xbox and your router for 30 seconds, don't just power them off, unplug them. Power everything back up and test your NAT type in the Xbox settings.

Hi Failsafe,

Thanks for the guide. I'm still having some difficulty, even after using your guide in conjunction with what PortForward.com suggest, which I'm hoping you can help me with.

When I get to step four and the port forward settings (a Motorola Netopia 2247-62 router) it only let's me enter the first one (80-80) saying "this has been added" or similar before when I try to enter others it varies between telling me that it clashes with http and other similar things. Is there anything I'm doing blatantly wrong, or does this mean that these ports are already sorted?

From what I read on PortForward.com, I should be entering one port and then by clicking next it should be bring me to the next port to do the same, and so on, but this doesn't seem to happen for me.

Thanks.

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi Failsafe,

Thanks for the guide. I'm still having some difficulty, even after using your guide in conjunction with what PortForward.com suggest, which I'm hoping you can help me with.

When I get to step four and the port forward settings (a Motorola Netopia 2247-62 router) it only let's me enter the first one (80-80) saying "this has been added" or similar before when I try to enter others it varies between telling me that it clashes with http and other similar things. Is there anything I'm doing blatantly wrong, or does this mean that these ports are already sorted?

From what I read on PortForward.com, I should be entering one port and then by clicking next it should be bring me to the next port to do the same, and so on, but this doesn't seem to happen for me.

Thanks.

Hi Paully,

I know the router you are using vaguely. Its one of the Eircom routers if I am not mistaken.

I think your router has already reserved some of the ports for a kind of "easy press here for gaming port forwarding setup"
    These will have to be deleted for you to complete the process. Look for "services" that say Gaming or Xbox live and delete them if possible.

There should be a services list some where in the port forwarding section or close by and delete them and then you can proceed with the port forwarding guide.

Hi Paully,

I know the router you are using vaguely. Its one of the Eircom routers if I am not mistaken.

I think your router has already reserved some of the ports for a kind of "easy press here for gaming port forwarding setup"
    These will have to be deleted for you to complete the process. Look for "services" that say Gaming or Xbox live and delete them if possible.

There should be a services list some where in the port forwarding section or close by and delete them and then you can proceed with the port forwarding guide.

Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Correct, it's an old Eircom one. I've included below a picture of the services list and true enough, what you say is correct.

62ed27d9da26ea002833c15c945e8383.png

I delete the 'Xbox 360' thing and other custom made ones as suggested and go to the 'define custom service' option. This brings me to the below screen:

aa9da248beb7bd745658b1bee10ddeb9.png

I then type in a name and one of the ports as you have listed and as seen on PortForward.com:

4f17221d9065ece257c2935e19302f08.png

I click next, get a "Nat Service has been added" message and then just get brought back to the below screen:

d68c7f23f6da5cb9c35f79d3e7b4535c.png

I'm unsure what to do from there as I feel I should be getting another screen as seen in picture 3 when I click next rather than being brought back to what appears to be somewhat of a main menu.

Thanks.

Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Correct, it's an old Eircom one. I've included below a picture of the services list and true enough, what you say is correct.

I delete the 'Xbox 360' thing and other custom made ones as suggested and go to the 'define custom service' option. This brings me to the below screen:

aa9da248beb7bd745658b1bee10ddeb9.png

I then type in a name and one of the ports as you have listed and as seen on PortForward.com:

4f17221d9065ece257c2935e19302f08.png

I click next, get a "Nat Service has been added" message and then just get brought back to the below screen:

d68c7f23f6da5cb9c35f79d3e7b4535c.png

I'm unsure what to do from there as I feel I should be getting another screen as seen in picture 3 when I click next rather than being brought back to what appears to be somewhat of a main menu.

Thanks.

Your almost there Paully,

Consider each port number as 1 service. So you should have
    "Xbox 1"
    "Xbox 2"
    "Xbox 3"
    and so on.

Now activate each service and use the IP address of the Xbox One

Your almost there Paully,

Consider each port number as 1 service. So you should have
    "Xbox 1"
    "Xbox 2"
    "Xbox 3"
    and so on.

Now activate each service and use the IP address of the Xbox One

Brilliant mate, thanks. I really appreciate your help.

I'm away from the Xbox for the night now but will give it a shot in the morning and report back. :)

Hi Failsafe,

I've been trying this again this morning and everything seems to be going well apart from the 3074 and 53 (UDP) port. I get the below message when inputting the information for the 3074 port, and the 53 one tells me it overlaps with DNS server.

0e182137477e46a281be89f78771f3cd.png

The 'XBox Live 360' can't be removed either as it's not a custom service. Is it fine to proceed or will these 'errors' ultimately cause the Xbox One ports not to work properly?

EDIT - the 500 one now overlaps with IPSec IKE also. Ugh!

Hi Failsafe,

I've been trying this again this morning and everything seems to be going well apart from the 3074 and 53 (UDP) port. I get the below message when inputting the information for the 3074 port, and the 53 one tells me it overlaps with DNS server.

0e182137477e46a281be89f78771f3cd.png

The 'XBox Live 360' can't be removed either as it's not a custom service. Is it fine to proceed or will these 'errors' ultimately cause the Xbox One ports not to work properly?

EDIT - the 500 one now overlaps with IPSec IKE also. Ugh!

Hi Paully,

If we can't get rid of them we will use them. Can you even adjust the IP address for the 'Xbox live 360' service so that its at least pointing to the XB1 ip address?

The XB1 is much stricter with port use than the 360, could you get away with it, possibly, although i think you can still define what IP address those other services use.

If you can change the IP address to point to XB1 that will open the port or ports associated with that service

If you can change the IP address to point to XB1 that will open the port or ports associated with that service

THIS WORKED!

Thank you so much mate, I really appreciate it :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't mean to hijack the thread sorry.

I'm getting the error "DNS is not resolving Xbox Server names", I'm back home now so the internet isn't as good but I was able to connect and play games 2 weeks ago when I was here despite nat issues and destiny being buggy but now it won't even connect to the internet it seems.

EDIT: Nevermind, problem might have been a manual DNS :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

im having trouble opening nat on an eircom netopia router, i got the first code rite but the rest are linked to non custom stuff like xbox live 360 and http

what can i do to get round this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

My nat just went strict there and i cant get it back to moderate ? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

rottie 11 wrote: »
    My nat just went strict there and i cant get it back to moderate ? Any ideas?

Mine's gone the opposite.
    Trying to play Fifa online and it keeps dropping saying "Your nat is open, your opponents is strict/moderate etc....."
    Havent got a game all night.

nicklauski wrote: »
    Mine's gone the opposite.
    Trying to play Fifa online and it keeps dropping saying "Your nat is open, your opponents is strict/moderate etc....."
    Havent got a game all night.

Wish mine was open, its always moderate, i accept that but not strict . Was playing fifa , all was good and then lost connection to ea servers and it went strict

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Wish mine was open, its always moderate, i accept that but not strict . Was playing fifa , all was good and then lost connection to ea servers and it went strict

If you're not going to go about the hassle of opening and forwarding your ports etc then you can at least try hard reset your router and xbox. Your router should have a little reset button down a small hole that you need to press with a pin. Your Xbox you just hold down the power button on the front of the console for 5 seconds when it's on until it shuts off completely. Usually helps a lot of issues.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    If you're not going to go about the hassle of opening and forwarding your ports etc then you can at least try hard reset your router and xbox. Your router should have a little reset button down a small hole that you need to press with a pin. Your Xbox you just hold down the power button on the front of the console for 5 seconds when it's on until it shuts off completely. Usually helps a lot of issues.

I always reset my router and sometimes im open when i test connection on xb1 but theres another xbox been used aswel in the house and if thats on i can never get open. I wana open my ports but its 2 complicated tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

iv hardset my router and console, enabled all ports (even ones overlaped ones with http, xbox live 360 ) changed them to the ones static ip, and im still strict nat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Hope someone can help
    Xbox one nat type is open
    Playing advanced warfare nat type is moderate
    any ideas on how to rectify this ?

• Advertisement

Hope someone can help
    Xbox one nat type is open
    Playing advanced warfare nat type is moderate
    any ideas on how to rectify this ?

Maybe reset your modem or try testing multiplayer connection in network settings

Advertisement