Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One NAT thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gamer1234

TomMcGouj wrote: »
    Wireless, unfortunately the router is downstairs and my room is upstairs where the xbox one is.

I had the same prob and I got a set of them home plugs (all u need is a socket beside the xbox) plug one beside your modem and the other beside your xbox with an Ethernet cable going to your console. The wifi is brought through the wiring of your hse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Wireless, unfortunately the router is downstairs and my room is upstairs where the xbox one is.

Hi Tom,

I went through this before with The Horizon box. Unfortunately the wireless frequently drops with Horizon. It's terrible. Home plugs are one way to work around the issue.

Another is the method I use, it's handy if you have a spare router around the house.

I setup up a wireless access point to handle my wireless instead of the horizon box.

I attached a Netgear router into the 1st port of the Horizon box and I use this router to handle my wireless.

I've had no drops in connection since doing this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gamer1234 wrote: »
    I had the same prob and I got a set of them home plugs (all u need is a socket beside the xbox) plug one beside your modem and the other beside your xbox with an Ethernet cable going to your console. The wifi is brought through the wiring of your hse

Yeah, this is what I was going to recommend if hooking it up with a wire works.

Still, it's worth checking a weird connection solves your problem before spending any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, this is what I was going to recommend if hooking it up with a wire works.

Still, it's worth checking a weird connection solves your problem before spending any money.

I have 2 old wireless routers knocking around if you want to try one of them, they're going in the bin shortly as part of a spring clearout so Anybody wants one - let me know (free of course). They came into my possession after I set up my uncles laptop with a wireless dongle when he got rid of the phone line.

these are the models
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00007KDVI

and: - not 100% sure this is the correct one but I can check when I get home.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4252497

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The NAT on my One was showing as moderate, & I done the 'Test Multiplayer' thingy, then the four shoulder buttons, & viola, it was then Open. I presume this isn't a long term solution, & has to be done each time & that's why it's better to forward ports?

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    The NAT on my One was showing as moderate, & I done the 'Test Multiplayer' thingy, then the four shoulder buttons, & viola, it was then Open. I presume this isn't a long term solution, & has to be done each time & that's why it's better to forward ports?

I am not even sure if its a short term solution. I think it just masks the fact that your NAT is moderate.

I'd go to your router settings and get port forwarding setup so you're firing on all cylinders while gaming on the Xbox.

I am not even sure if its a short term solution. I think it just masks the fact that your NAT is moderate.

I'd go to your router settings and get port forwarding setup so you're firing on all cylinders while gaming on the Xbox.

Oh? :o Ok, without trawling through this thread...is there a list of ports or a guide to doing this? I'm using a Thomson TWG87OUIR (UPC)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

xbox.com wrote:
    Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)

Note If you cannot chat with someone using Video Kinect, you might need to open port 1863 (UDP and TCP).

Then follow the guide here.

Won't look exactly the same, but it's the same device.

If you need help setting a static IP, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TomMcGouj

Are you wired or wireless? If wireless, then try it wired just to rule it out.

So I tried it wired and it works perfectly even though the Nat is strict now. Are homeplugs the best option now? Thanks

So I tried it wired and it works perfectly even though the Nat is strict now. Are homeplugs the best option now? Thanks

Yeah, it looks like it's just the UPC box that's letting you down then, pretty common actually.

It depends really. If you've got a spare wireless router (maybe from a previous provider) you should be able to hook that up and use it. We can walk you through it here, or in one of the tech forums also.

If you don't, then home plugs would probably be the best, easiest bet.

Of course, if you have other problems with your WiFi (Netflix keeps dropping, etc), then I'd consider buying a wireless router, and solving both problems at once.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it looks like it's just the UPC box that's letting you down then, pretty common actually.

It depends really. If you've got a spare wireless router (maybe from a previous provider) you should be able to hook that up and use it. We can walk you through it here, or in one of the tech forums also.

Of course, if you have other problems with your WiFi (Netflix keeps dropping, etc), then I'd consider buying a wireless router, and solving both problems at once.

I don't have another router unfortunately but I think I'll try the homeplugs tomorrow night. The Netflix works perfect wireless and wired now. Thanks for your help.

Bought a pair of home plugs today and it works perfect Netflix and games. Delighted, thank you for your help.

hey guys having trouble at the moment ive all the portd opened etc and ive tried all the tricks to change nat from strict to open but nothing works?? is there anything else I can do

gamer1234 wrote: »
    hey guys having trouble at the moment ive all the portd opened etc and ive tried all the tricks to change nat from strict to open but nothing works?? is there anything else I can do

Hi,

I can help you if you give me some more info.

Who is your ISP?

What's the make and model of your router?

Is the Xbox using a manual IP or automatic?

Is your Xbox wired to your router or is it wireless?

Do you have a screenshot of your port forwarding setup?

just checked it there again and its open,i reset the modem maybe that helped..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Has anyone ever gotten two xbox ones working with both open Nat or do you need an expensive modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Has anyone ever gotten two xbox ones working with both open Nat or do you need an expensive modem?

I dunno about 2 xbox ones, but i could never get my 360 and one to have it, and i tried mixing and matching with wifi and wired connections too.

Basically, you've got to get a router that implements UPNP properly, and make sure that UPNP is on, and that port forwarding is not used.

DD-WRT is apparently has a great implementation of UPNP, and is compatible with a fair amount of routers. However, if your eyes glazed over at those acronyms, then it's probably best to ignore all that and try to buy a router that supports it.

just echoing what was said above. Don't port foward to either console. Simply deactivate the ports you have forwarded to one of the consoles

Enable UPNP.

Make sure both XB1 consoles are set to Automatic IP address.

A good router makes all the difference but I have found that it works with most of the standard routers.

Oh? :o Ok, without trawling through this thread...is there a list of ports or a guide to doing this? I'm using a Thomson TWG87OUIR (UPC)
    Then follow the guide here.

Won't look exactly the same, but it's the same device.

If you need help setting a static IP, just ask.

Only getting to try this now, it has worked a charm...NAT now showing as Open, many thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Daaryl wrote: »

Step 1. Go to network.
    Step 2. Test Multiplayer Connection.
    Step 3. When done hold the 4 bumpers on the top of your controller together at the same time.

Step 4. Now it comes up with a little screen for your detailed network statistics, Now wait for your detailed nat info to be done should take 30 seconds at most, Now once it says " YOUR NETWORK IS BEHIND A CONE NAT " Just press a and then hit continue, If it does not say it's behind a cone nat just keep trying until it does!

Hope this helps people out!

Sorry guys, I've done the above and it says my Nat is op en and I'm behind a cone nat... yet when i go to play a multiplayer online game (plants vs zombies, battlefield 4, titanfall etc) It sames to check my network connection and try again.

I'm with UPC (horizon wifi connection) and my download speed according to the X1 is 16mps, upload speed is 20.29mps. Wireless strength 75%

Any ideas what it would be? I had it connected via network cable before and had zero issues.

I enabled uPNP and still get issues. Syncing game data doesn't work sometimes. Is it just a case the Internet keeps dropping?

Trilla wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I've done the above and it says my Nat is op en and I'm behind a cone nat... yet when i go to play a multiplayer online game (plants vs zombies, battlefield 4, titanfall etc) It sames to check my network connection and try again.

I'm with UPC (horizon wifi connection) and my download speed according to the X1 is 16mps, upload speed is 20.29mps. Wireless strength 75%

Any ideas what it would be? I had it connected via network cable before and had zero issues.

I enabled uPNP and still get issues. Syncing game data doesn't work sometimes. Is it just a case the Internet keeps dropping?
    The wireless on the UPC horizon is absolutely crap. For gaming expect a very unstable connection.

Solution 1 - Stay wired in, which I currently have. Get all the benefits of the UPC connection.

Solution 2 - If you want to drasticly improve your wireless for gaming you need to setup a wireless access point using another router as that point. I have this setup also.

Its a netgear router connected (wired) to the Horizon box with its own ip address assigned from the H-box. This will broadcast a much improved wireless signal, both in range and in stability. I previously connected my Xbox One this way and it worked great. I just wire in now to get 100% of the connection speed.

The wireless on the UPC horizon is absolutely crap. For gaming expect a very unstable connection.

Solution 1 - Stay wired in, which I currently have. Get all the benefits of the UPC connection.

Solution 2 - If you want to drasticly improve your wireless for gaming you need to setup a wireless access point using another router as that point. I have this setup also.

Its a netgear router connected (wired) to the Horizon box with its own ip address assigned from the H-box. This will broadcast a much improved wireless signal, both in range and in stability. I previously connected my Xbox One this way and it worked great. I just wire in now to get 100% of the connection speed.

Cheers chief. Unfortunately I've moved the console upstairs so wired in is not an option :-(

I'll need to invest in a router it seems.

We're thinking of changing over to sky TV and Internet. What's peoples experiences with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cheers chief. Unfortunately I've moved the console upstairs so wired in is not an option :-(

I'll need to invest in a router it seems.

We're thinking of changing over to sky TV and Internet. What's peoples experiences with that?

You could buy homeplugs. Does the same job as actually plugging directly into the horizon box.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You could buy homeplugs. Does the same job as actually plugging directly into the horizon box.

Thanks... any ones in particular you would recommend?

These any use? http://www.pcworld.ie/product/tplink-tlpa411kit-av500-500-mbps-powerline-adapter-starter-kit/313256/402.0.3

I can't recommend home plugs with horizon box since I have never used them with a H-Box.

I am sure there must be someone here that has used them specifically with the UPC Horizon box that might be able to recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I can vouch these ones I have are great :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1090930/Trail/searchtext%3EHOMEPLUG.htm

I'm not using it on a Horizon box though - the WiFi on the Horizon box is notoriously ****

I can't recommend home plugs with horizon box since I have never used them with a H-Box.

I am sure there must be someone here that has used them specifically with the UPC Horizon box that might be able to recommend them.

Went for these

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINES.htm

Working a treat with horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yeah they're the job. Have them myself :)

If you want, you can add a TP Link wifi extender to the mix too to if you want better wifi reception in a different part of your house:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA750RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00CEB53JQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427126914&sr=8-7&keywords=tp+link+wifi+extender

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yeah they're the job. Have them myself :)

If you want, you can add a TP Link wifi extender to the mix too to if you want better wifi reception in a different part of your house:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA750RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00CEB53JQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427126914&sr=8-7&keywords=tp+link+wifi+extender
    Doesnt that add lag if used for gaming?

Advertisement