Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One NAT thread

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

What type of broadband are you using? DSL, cable, wireless, etc.

I'm on a dsl broadband supplied by eir

Change the network cable, plug a laptop in to the router and run a network quality check like http://www.pingtest.net/

Thanks bishop I'll try this tonight and in the morning when I'm home

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had a similar issue a few years back, turned out to be provider related and half the people routed through limerick had the same issue

pingtest will give limited results, and tough to identify the issue.

using a repeated ping command can show a bit more .use a command prompt on a pc, and use

ping -n 100 target ip address

this will ping the ip address 100 times in a row, and you'll get the % packet loss.

now, if you have packet loss, do a tracert to the ip address you used above. that should give you all the intermediate hops on the journey

to find out if if it your local network, repeat the repeated ping command and replace the target ip with your router address, if that's still got the loss it's on your home network. if not, it's external, and if you repeat the ping address to each step you'll be able to see where the issue is.

if it's outside your network, knowing which server it is may not help a lot. at the time i had the issues, i, and loads of others were ringing the provider telling them which server it was for about a month. they kept saying the server was fine. it was up and running. well it was, but it was way over capacity. they refused point blank to admit it was a problem, until they fixed it, then they claimed it had never been an issue but they had upgraded as part of routine maintanance.

hopefully if it's outside your network you get better luck than i do. before i knew it was a particular server i moved provider to fix the issue, gave up a dsl account you couldn't get anymore which was dirt cheap with no limits. wasn't happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

tripperman wrote: »
    I'm on a dsl broadband supplied by eir
    You might be far from an exchange or there might be an issue with your landline. Definitely an Eir issue.

be warned, if it is an eir issue, the first step they'll probably look to do is reduce your sync speed. in fairness though lower speed with no packet loss is probably better. depends how low your starting speed is though!!

• Advertisement

You might be far from an exchange or there might be an issue with your landline. Definitely an Eir issue.

I'm 4 to 5 miles from the exchange, the starting speed is low enough it's a 3mg line, which isn't great as it barely makes the Xbox minimum, but worked perfect up on till lately, got new cables for connecting this morning and packet loss is over 20% still and Nat is now strict again

in the instructions i posted above, once you do the tracert, you'll have a list of ip's. the last hop on your network will likely have an ip of 192.168.x.x, the next one is the exchange. ping that one and see if you are getting the packet loss. if you are, and you're not getting it to the 192.168 ip adress (it's highly unlikely you will), then it's your connection to the exchange.

Got in touch with eir technical support yesterday evening, my speeds had be capped at 1/3 of what they should be, they set them back to normal and I reset the modem, tested the connection last night before playing games, packet loss varied from 0% to about 6%, played away with little or no trouble then

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

I am having a strange issue with Xbox one and live Gold. I have gold and multiplayer works on the original account but I can't download games with gold on the console, just shows as though I've no gold subscription, and the other accounts on the console can't share the live gold and play multiplayer. The kids are also complaining of regular disconnects being kicked out of multiplayer and party chat.

I've gone through everything with Microsoft support including deleting my gold and re-adding. Resetting console many times and adding and removing accounts from the console but nothing has worked.

Thinking about it the issues only have started to happen since I switched ISP from Vodafone to Sky, so now thinking that this might be the problem. Microsoft support recommended ensuring that all the correct ports are open. I called Sky and they won't offer any help with this so I've read through a lot of guides on line and was going to try this, but there are a couple of questions.

My console is connected to the Sky router/modem via homeplugs and in the network section of the Xbox NAT is shown as Open. I thought it would be different if there were problems?

Also if I do set up port forwarding do I need to disable UPnP on the router? If I do will this caused any problems with other devices in the house?

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Lockster wrote: »
    I am having a strange issue with Xbox one and live Gold. I have gold and multiplayer works on the original account but I can't download games with gold on the console, just shows as though I've no gold subscription, and the other accounts on the console can't share the live gold and play multiplayer. The kids are also complaining of regular disconnects being kicked out of multiplayer and party chat.

I've gone through everything with Microsoft support including deleting my gold and re-adding. Resetting console many times and adding and removing accounts from the console but nothing has worked.

Thinking about it the issues only have started to happen since I switched ISP from Vodafone to Sky, so now thinking that this might be the problem. Microsoft support recommended ensuring that all the correct ports are open. I called Sky and they won't offer any help with this so I've read through a lot of guides on line and was going to try this, but there are a couple of questions.

My console is connected to the Sky router/modem via homeplugs and in the network section of the Xbox NAT is shown as Open. I thought it would be different if there were problems?

Also if I do set up port forwarding do I need to disable UPnP on the router? If I do will this caused any problems with other devices in the house?

Thanks for any help

Support told you to check ports with live issues? That doesn't make sense. If you have an open NAT you don't need to do anything more.

Nip into your settings and ensure the account with Gold has the console set as home console. That should re-enable gold and game sharing.
    Disconnects could be your local network, or the ISP - are you using wired to the console? if not try that first. Do any other devices have issues, maybe streaming netflx for example?

• Advertisement

Have turned home console on and off a number of times with no luck. Reset the Xbox about 5 times. Still no luck. Anyway I know it's nothing to do with the ports now as I connected to my tethered iPhone and had the same problem. Back to Microsoft support I go.

Thanks for the reply anyway

Have turned home console on and off a number of times with no luck. Reset the Xbox about 5 times. Still no luck. Anyway I know it's nothing to do with the ports now as I connected to my tethered iPhone and had the same problem. Back to Microsoft support I go.

Thanks for the reply anyway
    Do you have a credit or debit card on your account. Games with Gold titles are actually completed as a transaction for €0.

Try adding a card to your account and see if that makes a difference. I used to have an issue downloading Games with gold titles from the PC until I added a card to my account.

Thanks, I've already a card added to the account tans can get games with gold from Xbox.com or the app. It's more not being able to share gold with the other accounts that's annoying

Thanks, I've already a card added to the account tans can get games with gold from Xbox.com or the app. It's more not being able to share gold with the other accounts that's annoying
    Sounds like it may be a parental setting issue. Are any of other accounts for children with some form of parental controls active on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Lads, I've been messing around with NAT and opening Ports last night but the more I read this thread the more I'm not sure it's my issue.

I've had Xbone since Christmas with no issues with connectivity up until about 2 weeks ago when the Xbox will no longer connect to Xbox Live (making it pretty much useless).

I'm using a wireless connection with a Vodafone HG658c router. Contacted Xbox Support and they are suggesting returning the Xbox which I really don't want to do (takes a month to get it back and not even sure it will solve the issue).

Xbox connects to my parents Wifi no problem but is not agreeing with mine lately and more often than no it can't obtain a connection. I thought I had the issue resolved last week but changing bandwidth on router from 20/40 to 40 but this only seems to have resolved it for a week or so and it's not connecting again now.

Historically with this router I've had frequent dropouts when streaming Netflix on my TV so I'm thinking it's something to do with my router/ ISP but have no idea what.

If anyone has any pointers on how to get this resolved I would be hugely appreciative, all other devices on the network connect fine, very frustrating.  I'm thinking of resetting my router this evening and starting from scratch.

Apologies if this is an old thread but from reading through there seems to be a lot of knowledge on here and I figured it was worth a shot.

If it works with another router then it does point to your router being dodgey, especially if other devices have issues.

If it works with another router then it does point to your router being dodgey, especially if other devices have issues.

Thanks, I've reset router to factory setting and power cycled the xbox and still no joy.

Just had it up in my parents there again and connecting no problem. I'm starting to think it's congestion/ interference in my area.

Tried Wifi analyser in my house and its showing up a load of networks in my area (mostly Vodafone). Ran it at my parents and there's only 2 networks. Pic below of Wifi analyser result from my area, my network is the red one.

No clue what to do about it though??

skerry wrote: »
    Thanks, I've reset router to factory setting and power cycled the xbox and still no joy.

Just had it up in my parents there again and connecting no problem. I'm starting to think it's congestion/ interference in my area.

Tried Wifi analyser in my house and its showing up a load of networks in my area (mostly Vodafone). Ran it at my parents and there's only 2 networks. Pic below of Wifi analyser result from my area, my network is the red one.

No clue what to do about it though??

Not much you can do to the Xbox. All currently updated ones have a software patch that improves wi-fi interference and how often it goes looking for them. Is that your router up by itself on channel 11? Using a less frequently channel is about all you can do. If that doesn't fix it maybe get on to your ISP.

Not much you can do to the Xbox. All currently updated ones have a software patch that improves wi-fi interference and how often it goes looking for them. Is that your router up by itself on channel 11? Using a less frequently channel is about all you can do. If that doesn't fix it maybe get on to your ISP.

Managed to get it going again by setting channel to auto and putting bandwidth to 40 but its kicked me off again now.

Gonna ring Vodafone tomorrow and if the can't do anything for me then I understand Home Plugs might help so will look into them. If anyone can recommend any good ones that would be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Got a pair of tp-link ones for my parents, three in the box for about €50 in PC world. They've only needed 2 and it extends the Wi-Fi as well as acting as a bridge with the Ethernet cable for the Android box and smart TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I have the new virgin hub and i keep gettting my nat type going to strict.

Have tried a static ip but doesnt seem to help. Should i be opening ports as well?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I have the new virgin hub and i keep gettting my nat type going to strict.

Have tried a static ip but doesnt seem to help. Should i be opening ports as well?

Yeah, the static IP is just the first step.

Portforward.com is the go to site for guides on how to set up a static IP and forward ports on almost every type of router, so find your router and follow the guide there.

Recently, the site has become a bit "downloady", trying to get you to download software. Don't download anything from there, you really really don't need it. Despite that, it's still the go to site for guide on routers.

Got a pair of tp-link ones for my parents, three in the box for about €50 in PC world. They've only needed 2 and it extends the Wi-Fi as well as acting as a bridge with the Ethernet cable for the Android box and smart TV
    Cheers Max, I was looking at the below ones from Maplin for 79.99. Their the 1200mbps ones which should be absolutely loads for my 40 meg connection but figured I may aswell future proof incase I get faster broadband down the line.
    http://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-tl-pa8010pkit-1200mbps-pass-through-powerline-kit-a75tc
    Hopefully they sort my issue. Managed to get a couple hours connection on the Xbox last night but it drops out then and can't save game to cloud and is frustrating the hell out of me.
    Herself is out with her buddies tomorrow night so this absolutely has to be sorted out by then if I'm to enjoy some hassle free alone time with my Xbox :)
    I'm going to ring Vodafone later too but don't expect them to be able to do much for me as it looks like yet again they've taken on way too many customers in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

These don't work when connected to an extension right?

These don't work when connected to an extension right?
    as in an multi socket extension lead? I've read that the signal can be affected and your better off plugging directly into the wall socket if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, the static IP is just the first step.

Portforward.com is the go to site for guides on how to set up a static IP and forward ports on almost every type of router, so find your router and follow the guide there.

Recently, the site has become a bit "downloady", trying to get you to download software. Don't download anything from there, you really really don't need it. Despite that, it's still the go to site for guide on routers.

Did the port forwarding. Hub wouldnt allow port 53 to be forwarded but nat type switched to open..so hopefully that's sorted. Thanks

Can i do the same with an x box connected with home plugs?

Got a mail from Xbox today suggesting the port forwarding route and they supplied a list of ports. I assigned a static IP address for my Xbox through the router and set up the ports.

Booted up and connected no problem. Connected super fast so I thought it was sorted but I restarted the console to check and its disconnecting when I reboot and I'm back to square one again.

Xbox is also forgetting the network every time I restart it and I need to put in password every time.

I think I might have done something wrong when setting up the static IP. Assigned an IP within the range of the router but still not joy.

Pics below of router page where I setup the IP, if anyone in the know can see anything I've done wrong that would be great.

Advertisement